The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Pure Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
What do you think of Derren's book?
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
542 Posts

Profile of debaser
Love it, one of the best books I've read recently. However it's not much of a mentalism book. It's more straight magic from Derrens earlier days.

Matt
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I love it. I wish I lived in London so I could do the perfect coin reading. Other then that there are very impressive things in this book. He has a few essays that will open your eyes. He has an amazing handling for watch stop and coin thru cig. I love his Smoke effect and Transformation. Hard to say if you will like it. But there is a good chance you will.

Lee
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1653 Posts

Profile of Lior
Very good book.
Derren knows how to sum up many important things and most important, he gives you real food for thought.
This book is in the top 10

Lior
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1922 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Excellent book and a thoroughly enjoyable read, very flowery in prose. The psychological card forces near the end of the book are a wonder to read and perform. If only Lift and Reminiscence had not been omitted in the hardback edition, then it would have been perfection! Smile
E.O.I
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1091 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I agree with all of the above. I think "Absolute Magic" is even better. Unfortunately, both are currently out of print.

Try H&R Books or eBay.

Bob
Lee Davies
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
136 Posts

Profile of Lee Davies
Pure Effect (Third Edition) is still available here:

http://www.magictricks.co.uk
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
677 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
IMO, the most important chapter you will ever read is on page 113, 'You're Supposed to be Reading Minds.' This is 'Pure Gold.' Priceless.

Regards
Franklin - The Paranormalist
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
436 Posts

Profile of Rick
What can I say? This book has given me new sight on my cig. through quarter. And page 155 with the two verbal card forces is awesome.
Rick...
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
... and it's so rare to read a book on magic with such beautiful thought-provoking and inspirational prose. It's often said gratuitously, but this book really has certain bits that are indispensable to the mind-reader.

BB Smile
Winston Smith
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Winston Smith
I don't know why its so rarely mentioned, but his second book, Absolute Magic, is a much better read and gets his views and opinions over much more succinctly.

The first edition of Pure Effect, in which he tells you how you can *actually* walk on water and break your own fingers without feeling any pain (these were later excluded in subsequent editions) was a much more balanced read than the later editions, but this book still deserves some attention. I just think that you get it 'twice as good' in Absolute Magic - imho.

-- ws
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
"Absolute Magic" has been self-published by the author himself and copies are (or were) available only from him (www.derrenbrown.co.uk) and are not available in magic shops or other retail outlets. I agree that it is superb.

I think that the video "The Derren Brown Lecture," available exclusively from the London magic shop, International Magic (www.internationalmagic.co.uk), is even better than the book "Pure Effect." The effects described on paper in the book are actually performed live, so you get much more of the "spirit" and style of them. (Lift and Reminisence are both performed, but not explained, on the video, while they have been removed from the book and replaced with some witty magical satire.)
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
flash_kid
View Profile
New user
Oxford, UK
7 Posts

Profile of flash_kid
I have to agree, Absolute Magic is a Superb book. Certainly forces you to consider your presentation and approach from the ground up!

The Lecture video is worth money for the last 5 minutes alone. Derren raps up his lecture with what is essentially the drive of the 'Absolute Magic' book.
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
I guess I am in the minority here as I found the book to have very little to offer the mentalist. Yes, there are some good thoughts in the book, but the bulk of the book seems to be geared toward the strolling/resturant/card magician.

Perhaps I missed something and need to re-read it.

JR
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of 1908
I agree with you Jim but I will also read it again...

Ok I was wrong. I re-read it and found some great ideas I will use, especially for better presentation of mind reading.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I don't do card tricks much anymore, but, Dang, some of the card tricks in Pure Effect are impressive! Like most have already said, the essays are really inspiring. I would have liked to see some mentalism routines illustrating some of the points he made in the essays, but maybe the essays have more power on thier own because they force us to work in our imaginations. To me, Derren is one of those guys who can make you really excited to be in mentalism.

--Chris
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Absolute Magic is the good book. The other... well, it was interesting.

The first edition of Absolute Magic has a few gems, like coin in hand, and Dark Fog (a great effect of almost frightening results).

Although I already had a similar (and possibly superior) routine to dark fog, Derren's way of telling the story is quite amusing.
A l a i n —— B e ll o n
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2003-05-06 01:07, Alain Bellon wrote:
The first edition of Absolute Magic has a few gems, like coin in hand, and Dark Fog (a great effect of almost frightening results).

What is the effect of Dark Fog, and how does your effect differ?

--Chris
myshadow
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of myshadow
Yes indeed a great book - it will cause you to re-examine the way you approach presentation of effects and how you treat your audience.

Brian
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 8: Derren Brown - Pure Effect

AD:
Derren Brown, the most radical and original
new thinker in the world of mentalism, will take you from excellent close-up magic to the most powerful mind-reading you have ever seen. With flamboyant wit, Derren explains the secrets and techniques that he uses to amaze the experts, drawing from hypnotic skills and breathtaking psychological artistry. This is brand new mindreading without compromise; no use of billets, envelopes or nailwriters will be found within these pages. This is a book for the
serious thinker who would normally disregard
99% of a magic book's contents.

REVIEW:

Much ado about an average book, and too much card work and futile linguistic flourishes for what is supposed to be "Direct Mind Reading". Part I includes Mr. Brown's interesting thoughts on mentalism, invisible compromises, anchoring etc. Part II is only devoted to card techniques (totally useless if you don't do cards), Part III are mainly effects with - guess what - cards.

Overall rating: acceptable

H.
adrian333
View Profile
New user
London - UK
53 Posts

Profile of adrian333
Yes it is true that the book doesn't reveal the exact methods of the tricks you'd probably want to know - but it certainly paves the way for you to become an excellent magician, and give you enough knowledge to really spark you off so you can start making you'r own magic. Definitely get a hold of Absolute Magic, and the Devils Picturebook video is a must too - I really feel that anyone wanting to buy these books should see him on TV or for real first, to get a feel for his style..

Adrian.
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Very good book, dissapointed that it had so much card work in but hes ideas and insights are good enough.
Whats also intresting is in the re-printed copy i have he has removed 2 effects, any one know what they were or why he did it.
Mabe they were a little to close to revealing what he does.

Alex
The Man Who Knows (how to make a good cup of Tea)

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Alex
The two missing effects are called "Lift" and "Reminisense" which are both performed but not explained on the International Magic video.
Dave

P.S. I two have the third edition and I must admit I was dissapointed that those two effects had been omited from this edition.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
858 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
A great book from a great mind.

It's also one of the few magic books I've ever thought could be read just for the pleasure of reading, since DB is - among other things - a very talented writer. PE has also got to be one of the best-ever debuts in magical publishing.

(And I'm not saying any of this becoz I'm mentioned in the back.)
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Missing effects in Absolute magic and Pure Effect? Is Derren playing with our minds I wonder?

You ever really really really wanted something...just because you can't have it?

Smile
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Does any one know how I can get hold of "Absolute Magic", I have been looking but not very hard, any advice would be nice, pehaps a review if any one has it.

thanks,
Alex

Mentalism -
Philosophy. the doctrine that mind is the fundamental reality and that objects of knowledge exist only as aspects of the subject's consciounes.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Alexander - After his show in Croydon on Sunday night I had the honour of *very* briefly meeting and talking to the man himself. He is an incredibly down-to-earth everyday guy off-stage, cracking jokes with the people waiting to get their programmes and tickets (in some cases books) signed, and genuineley interested in hearing what people had to say about the show. His parents (who were attending the stage show for the first time) and brother were also there chatting to the crowd.

As he signed my copies of "Pure Effect" (3rd edition) and "Absolute Magic" he asked what I thought about them and I said that my act was twice as good after reading them, though that's not saying much. Smile (Best I could manage under the circumstances.)

He also said that "Absolute" will be reprinted in a new edition with a longer print run by a magic book publisher over the next few months. So instead of spending a fortune on eBay, I'd recommend reading the easily available and reasonably-priced "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms, and then getting the new affordable edition of "Absolute Magic" when it appears.

The Nelms book is a solid, nuts-and-bolts, step-by-step textbook to the practice of developing an engaging show with strong presentation. Brown's "Absolute Magic" is a good companion book to it, different in style in that its strength lies mostly in its numerous "flashes of inspiration", wonderful passages with insights which get the reader's mind thinking creatively about the "back-story" to his act. Essentially, it enables the magician to move the focus of the show from his own fingers to the audience's heart. (Now *that's* a line I wish I'd thought up on the spot when meeting the author....)
Hypnotist and mentalist.
www.doctoromni.com
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Thank you very much Dr Omni, I will keep your advice in mind.
I am also going to see the show, on the 7th in Dartford. I was podering if I should take the book (or just the dust cover) to be signed, and from what you've said I think I will. May even see if I can have a bit of a chat too, but i doubt it.
Thanks again,
Alex

Mentalism -
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Alex - My pleasure. It was a bit of a fluke having the chance to actually meet him - however briefly - after the Croydon show, because - as it says on his official website - he usually has to rush off from the theatre to travel overnight to the next town where he's booked to perform. Presumably, because Croydon is his home town and he was meeting up with the family, he was able to spare audience members a bit of time. To be frank, it's not a good idea to try and engage any performer in some deep discussion of the philosophy of magic when he's just walked off stage after a two-hours show and is surrounded by a huge crowd of people trying to get stuff signed, have their photos taken with him and (in the case of female fans) kissing him.

(I was more than happy with a few moments' chat, shaking his hand and his signing the two books.)
Hypnotist and mentalist.
www.doctoromni.com
Alexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
124 Posts

Profile of Alexander
Ok, once again thank you for your advice, I may take the book, you never know.
I think the one Im going to is the last in his tour, but im not sure. And I agree haveing a long indepth chat would be a bad idea, I never had that in my mind.
I will just have to see.
Thanks again,
Alex

Mentalism -
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Pure Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL