The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Don DriversJam Auction DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Don Drivers Jam Auction DVD

I just received an advance copy of Don Drivers Jam Auction DVD. What a great 2 DVD set, I loved it! Due to the very specialized nature of this product it is difficult to review, but I will tell you what to expect if you decide to order this DVD set.

Here’s what you get; you get a Jam Auction, in its entirety, as operated by Jack Nyberg. That’s it. There is an intro by Don that gives you a little background and some of the terms and lingo used in the Jam biz, but the real purpose of this DVD is to show a Jam Auction from start to finish. And you will see Jack do a Jam pitch. An almost two hour, non stop pitch, to a crowd of people that he built from nothing, at 8 am, on a Sunday morning.

Face it; you’ve never seen a Jam auction. You’ve heard of it. You have an idea of how it works. But you’ve never seen one. Now is your chance. It is absolutely fascinating to me to watch Nyberg work. And to watch the rhythm and the momentum of the Jam auction as it builds and builds until Jack has gone all the way from giving away cigarette lighters and those little screw in juice extractors, to selling items for $50, $100 and on up to $250 dollars each.

A Jam Auction is, in many ways, not about the destination, it’s about the journey. Yes, at the end of his almost 2 HOUR pitch, Jack sells a bunch of items for $50 bucks and several items for much more that that (as I said, up to $250.00). But watch as along the way he collects 5 dollar bills, 20 dollar bills and even gets people to dig in their pockets for their last dollar and hand it over to him for “drink money”.

There isn’t much more I can tell you. This is an item that is only for people that have some sort of interest in, or curiosity about the Jam. For those that do, there is NOTHING like this anywhere. A full Jam Auction, start to finish, has never been made available anywhere prior to Dons DVD. This is it, the only one of its kind. Once again Don has produced something unique and is offering it to the public.

Once more, it is difficult for me to “review” this product, it is what it is. There is no dissection of the auction, no in depth discussion of the thing, no interviews with Jack Nyberg or anything like that. There are no fancy production values, bells and whistles, extras or any of those things. Those familiar with Dons previous releases will know how he presents his material. Straightforward, no nonsense. Please don’t misunderstand the purpose of this DVD. This is not an instructional DVD. Yes, there is much to learn from it. Few people can stay connected to an audience for two hours the way Jack does (And, of course, he has a few tricks to make sure they STAY connected to him. hehehe). But the true purpose of this DVD is so that you can see, with your own eyes, a TRUE Jam Auction. If you have ever seen the “Gee Whiz Kid” and wanted to see Jack do a full pitch, or if you have read or heard about Jam Auctions and always wished you could see one, this is the only DVD in the world that will give you that opportunity. I’m biased, because I have a keen interest in the art of the pitch, and of course, Jam Auctions. If you share those interests, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be fascinated and thoroughly entertained by this 2 DVD set.

The set should be available now. You will be able to get it at http://www.magicpitch.com or if you prefer to use paypal (which magicpitch does not accept) you will be able to get it directly from Don at http://www.dondriver.com
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The jam is an amazing thing to watch and Jack is the master. He earned the title The Gee Whiz Kid and while I've not seen him as recent as this DVD he is worth watching just from a historical standpoint. I've not seen the DVD but am refering to Jack and the jam auction in prior events.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I can't believe what I just saw.

I'll be more specific. I can't believe that anyone, even someone as slick as Jack Nyberg, could convince a crowd of people to part with their money so willingly.

Nyberg's presentation has everything: drawing a tip using the $100 bally Don details in another DVD, building the crowd's enthusiasm by throwing out free items, promising to sell reasonably attractive items for a penny/nickel/dime/quarter and never quite selling more than a few of them, qualifying the serious buyers, clearing out the gawkers, and pushing the heavy items at the end.

After selling three of the high-priced items, he convinces nine members of the crowd to buy a mystery item for $20 each. Incredible.

In his introduction, Don says you'll have to watch the video several times to catch the nuances of the presentation. He's not kidding. I watched it once early this afternoon and my head is still spinning from seeing Nyberg set his psychological traps and capitalize on every opportunity. I don't think there was a loose dollar left in the tent.

If you're at all interested in sales psychology and how to work a crowd, you should buy a copy of The Jam Auction DVD set. You get two DVDs that contain Don's intro, the full two-hour presentation, and Don's summary at the end.

Yes, the full auction runs two hours. Amazing.

You can buy the Jam Auction DVD set for $49.95 plus $6.95 postage and handling (for US orders) by visiting http://www.dondriver.com/ . You can also buy the DVD set from http://www.magicpitch.com if you need to use a credit card (Don takes PayPal; Steve at MagicPitch doesn't, but he does take credit cards).

Curt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Curt, see if you can track down the documentary The Gee Whiz Kid, you'll like it.

Folks won't believe the jam auction (not to be confused with the British version) until they see it done. Jack is the king and Don worked with him in the 70s.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Okay, I just had to add my own two cents or so. I was a 'guest' at a jam auction when I was a youngster in the Midwest some forty or so years ago. I might have only had twenty bucks to my name, but he got it all. Not only that, but I walked away smiling! That is the wonder of the jam at least as done by Jack Nyberg. He has what seems like nothing but happy customers at the end! The magic of watching this jam auction isn't in seeing it start to finish, though that is nearly priceless. The beauty of this is all of the work that Jack Nyberg puts in as he works this group of strangers into a money - spilling unit of happy spenders. There is so much work that can be taken from the jam auction world into any other world, be it street magic, bartending, restaurant work, whatever! If you have ever heard or read that phrase GTFM, this is oh, about a thousand and one ways to get that money. He starts with just a couple of folk in front of him, but gathers a crowd very quickly. If you ask any street guy what the hardest thing is to do, it isn't in just drawing a crowd, but keeping them and getting their money. Jack Nyberg shows how this is done, in spades. No question - this is a master class on getting the money, and certainly the absolute best work on the jam auction ever. I am so happy that Don Driver, who has been our finest source of this sort of information, has made this available to us. I hope that there will be a flood of orders going his way for he certainly deserves it. He is at least part of the reason that Jack has had the success that he's had all these years, and those of you who have learned from Don will recognize his tips from within the two hours that Jack is talking to these people. I just about screamed when Jack had the chutzpa to get their LAST DOLLAR! What until you see that one. you won't believe it. Will you turn off the DVD and go hold your own jam auction? No way, but you will take away a lot of work that will make what you do even better. Two thumbs up, in a big way! Thanks Don.

Mark
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I just finished watching the DVD. It is stupendous! I would have happily paid $100 for this video. Nothing like this has ever been made available. It is a true gold mine.

Jack Nyberg is a real master of the Jam, and to have a complete, really clean video of the entire two-hour auction from drawing a crowd to letting them "buy him a drink" is just unbelievable.

Nyberg obviously enjoys his work, knows it inside out, has fun "performing" for the crowd, genuinely seems to like the people, and yet is totally focused on taking every dime out of the pockets of everyone within earshot. He is an artist and a businessman.

Don does a very good job of explaining the terminology and basic psychology of the Jam, which he knows inside out. He and Jack used to work together in Vegas with a storefront Jam Auction.

Thank you, thank you, Don! This is a great contribution to the literature of the scoundrel.

I laughed, and watched in slack-jawed awe at the careful traps that Nyberg lays for everyone. You would have to be thick-skinned as a rhino to go back on a deal after he has gotten you tied up in knots with agreements--"You aren't the kind of person who would just waste everybody's time and go back on a deal, are you? Because if you are, I don't want to sell you anything. If you can't come back and say 'Thank you,' then I don't want your money...Do you think I'm a good guy? Do you think I'm a good salesman? Are you happy with your deal? Wait 'til you see what I'm going to do next."

It is an amazing, fun, and informative DVD. I couldn't recommend it any higher to anyone interested in pitching, short cons, street magic or any activity that involves calling and holding a crowd, controlling their thinking, getting agreement, and making them like you.

It is a real gift to the fraternity.

Thanks, Don!
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Ok, I just finish watching Don's Jam Auction DVD! First, for those who are looking for a How to DVD, like Don's other DVD's this is not that. This DVD does not come with a written Scrit, or source location for material or product. Having said that, this DVD is money well spent with a lot of information to digest. I was amazed at the pace of the auction, the wit, humor and the money that was exchanging hands. No one is going to buy this DVD and go out this weekend and perform a Jam Auction, but you can and some will buy this DVD and create an auction of their own.

I will be spending a lot of time rewatching this, scpriting it out and going over the material for some time. A real Treat to have been able to see the jam auction from start to finish and to be able to rewatch it. As Don points out this has never been put on DVD before, so I am well pleased with it and will now look at pitchmen when I am out and about with a different eye.

Good Work Don!!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Watching this you may catch techniques that will help you draw in a crowd or how to hold them. It is facinating and when Jack goes so likely goes the Jam Auction.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
In what setting would you hold a jam auction?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jack does it at fairs, that is where I've seen them done many years ago. They are also done in store fronts. If you get hold of The G Whiz Kid you can see Jack working a store front. Again this isn't a how to DVD. You are not likely to go out and start doing jam auctions, it takes a rare type to do them.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Doing the Jam Auction pitch is really the easy thing ( as hard as that is to learn) Learning how and where to buy stock at the right price is the HARD part.

Thanks guys for all the good words on this DVD.

Don
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You know, when I watched The G Whiz Kid the thing in my mind was "I wonder where he gets his stuff", I'm not kidding! So Don, where does he get his stuff?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Jack has been around so long he knows all the wholesalers and goes to several shows a year just to buy.He never gives the asking price.You might he "JAMS" the whlesalers...hehehe

Don
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Ok, I just rewatched both DVD's and have to say, if you really want to know about how to build a tip (you should own Don's dvd on this anyway), Crowd management and the basic psychology of holding a crowd, these dvd"s are gold! I did some brain storming a few minutes ago, and thought of a few ways, to use the information on the DVD's to make a show out of it; anyone who has read suitcase side show,the tie pitch, medicine show tonite and one pitch is worth a thousand words, and others will understand what I am talking about.

Don, either knowingly or unknownly has produced a once in a life time chance for people to learn first hand the methodology of how to separate people of large sum's of cash--of their own free will and they are happy to do so and will thank you for the chance to do so!

There is a reason why, a Jam Auction has never been put on DVD before because, it is to be honest, to vauleable to those that understand the psychology of mod mentality to share the secret! The Knowledge is there for the taken, but Don did not give away the candy store, for free--"You will have to watch the DVD and produce your own results, but the information is there!"

Thank you Don, for a very vaulable product! My last words on this DVD

(I bought and paid for all of Don's DVD's (and so should you) and have not been given jack, for any kind words or this review)
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Sir T,

After reading your review I might have to jack the price up,and if I gave you more to go with it would you say "Thank You " (lol)

Thanks for the great review.

Don
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Anybody else out here pick up one and have something to say ? Steve and I have been selling a few so I know we haven't heard from all of you.I would like to have your thoughts on Jack's Jam Auction pitch

Thanks,Don
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 20:13, MagicSanta wrote:
Curt, see if you can track down the documentary The Gee Whiz Kid, you'll like it.
Folks won't believe the jam auction (not to be confused with the British version) until they see it done. Jack is the king and Don worked with him in the 70s.

Anybody know where I can buy this item?
:)
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Don
I've ordered 2 of the DVDs. Thanks for your help in this
Cheers
TJ
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I was just thinking about Sir T's 'scripting' this Jam auction out. First, over two hours of Jack Nyberg is pretty much like six or so hours of anyone else reading the encyclopedia. Meaning, we'd have to talk nonstop for six hours to equal Nyberg's two. Next, if you get this and really want to get some benefit, watch it six or eight times, just to get the enjoyment and amazement out of the way. When you feel like you could study this without Jack Nyberg pulling you back into spectator mode, go through line by line and see what the heck he is doing with each line he recites. Ask, "what is he after here, where is this going?" Once you get through the thing in that way, you'll see that there is very little in our magic world that he hasn't used. He psychologically, verbally, and literally misdirects, like a good speaker he tells 'em what he's gonna tell 'em, then he tells 'em, and finally he tells 'em what he told 'em. This thing is an absolute gold mine, and keep in mind there's no downtime! There is no time that your good ol' buddy Jack is taking a breather and just chatting up all his new friends. No, each and every line is there for a reason - ferret that out, and apply it to yourself. Unless you're aspiring to jams, you may not use it all every time, but you will use it all over time. This is the Master's Degree workshop and we are so fortunate to have it. "The Whiz Kid" was a great piece of film about Jack, but this is the Real Work, folks! I'm sorry to go off again, but every time I watch it I catch something else, and its killin' me up here in the snowy mountains to just watch it and shut up. I gotta tell someone!
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Like many others, I had only heard of the Jam Auction. I had a script for one, in my collection. Out of passing interest, I purchased this DVD. It was nothing short of unbelievable! I was laughing out loud. Jack Nyberg could sell saltwater to you even if you were stranded on a raft in the middle of the ocean. What I was was a total work of art. I have never seen anything like it. My wife, who hates all my magic-related crap, started to watching with me.

Her: "What are you watching?"

Me: "Nothing you'd be interested in. Magic-related crap. It is just this guy selling stuff".

Her:"Why are you watching a guy selling stuff--what is so fascinating about that."

Me: "Well, it is an unbelieveable work of art. This guy is selling nothing for $10 and people are buying it. Then he is charging them money for a box that the have no idea what is inside. This guy is selling crap and he is getting people to hand over money hand over fist. It is unbelieveable. it is unlike anything I have ever seen."

Her: "Well, I am going to bed."

Me: "Sweet dreams, Honey".

Meanwhile. she can't take her eyes off of the screen. 5 minutes goes by. 10 minutes goes by. She is yawning and tired, but she gets hypnotized by the pitch. She gets totally sucked in. It was unbelievable. 15 minutes...and on and on. I finally had to be the one to turn it off.

This was totally crazy. It really was watching a work of art. It was better than almost any show I have ever seen. Watching this guy transition from his opening to getting the tip to start handing over cash!?!?!?--It was better than any magic trick on the planet.

I LOVED IT.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Don DriversJam Auction DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL