The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Skinner's 3 Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
In Skinner's 3 Card Monte, when you square up the cards, and they are not in the order that they should be (when you show the audience), what can be said if someone catches on? I have never had it happen, but now realize it after preforming it for a while.
Thanks!
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Joey, I tend to control shuffle/turn the cards after each phase of the effect. That way I am always in control of how the cards are ordered. Appearing to mix up the cards can also enhance the effect.This way even the most astute spectator will not notice anything 'not quite right'. However this is not really necessary unless you are unduly concerned. Hope this helps Andy.
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
Thanks Andy, I figured I could count the cards an even number of times, not altering the order.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2542 Posts

Profile of Robert M
If you shuffle the cards twice, the audience will notice that the cards are out of order. I suggest shuffling the cards three times. That's all. A friend, who has been doing this trick for over 20 years, suggested this to me after I expressed the same concern.

Correction - I meant to say that the audience will notice if you only shuffle the cards one time. It's happened to me. But, they tend to lose track if the cards are quickly shuffled three times.

Robert
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of sychou
Maybe you can check out Bill Malone's handling.
It's very entertaining and his routine is well constructed.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've been performing Skinner's 3 Card Monte exactly as explained in the provided instructions when purchased. I simply removed the matching ungaffed cards from the deck and replaced them with Skinner's cards. If and when I decide to perform the routine, I turn the deck face up and start to run thru the cards until I come across the cards and remove them. I do the routine and have never been questioned ever about the cards. Been doing it the same way for years. It's a great routine.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6543 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'm on my third set! Replacement cards are cheap, and when performed "exactly as explained in the provided instructions" (quoting nonvpro), there is no 3 card monte more effective.

Doug
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4784 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If you like Skinners 3 card monte, try also the new The Gypsy Monte by Card Shark:
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/NEW_LINES_JUST_IN.html

The Skinners Monte routine made on vintage-appearance card stock.
Matches the Medieval deck.
No Instructions Included.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
405 Posts

Profile of daver
I actually went out and got Skinner's Monte after purchasing Bill Malone's "On the Loose". Other than Color Monte, I generally eschew gaffed packet tricks (Color Monte is no gaffed, so it does not fall into the "taboo") but Bill's handling is so smooth and natural, it almost does not feel like a gaff.

His flip over and one "shuffle" between phases is just so smooth and nonchalant, I've yet to have anyone say anything about it.

I was not really jazzed with the written instructions. It does give the basics, but Bill's handling gives you so much more...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Hey daver ,
Me too ! Right after I watched Bill's "On the Loose" , I immediately went online and searched for Skinner's 3 Card Monte . Clicked "Add to Cart" immediately !
I love it Smile
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of cardlover
I just ordered this.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Great trick! Just make sure you don't have "grabby" spectators. They tend to do that if you don't present it well. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-26 02:29, Kjellstrom wrote:
If you like Skinners 3 card monte, try also the new The Gypsy Monte by Card Shark:
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/NEW_LINES_JUST_IN.html

The Skinners Monte routine made on vintage-appearance card stock.
Matches the Medieval deck.
No Instructions Included.

Those cards look-OLD! Perfect if you wanted to explain the game was plaid on the Mississippi River boats and you have the actual cards they used. Any U.S. shops carry them?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16763 Posts

Profile of joseph
Wow, they sure look good..I didn't find a shop in U.S. either..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1057 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Corey Harris stocks them. He's a member here. I don't have a link handy, sorry.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
https://plus.google.com/+CardMakerBerndMauckschGermany/posts
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I have had Daryls ultramonte for ages and never used it.Like the others after seeing Bill Malone perform it I now use it regularly.
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of cardlover
I got this about a week ago and realy like it but scared people will want to grab the cards, but this is worth working on and glad I bought it.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3609 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I bought this at MagiFest, and promptly lost the gaff- does anyone know where I can buy duplicates? Thanks! Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
Hi Jim,

Just look at the link above. That are some very nice cards!!
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1673 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Long time not heared. I am heading to Blackpool tomorrow, will move to my house within the next two weeks and hopefully get rid of a lot of troubles in the last few weeks.

I did not show up here in the Café for a couple of weeks as I had to clear a big heap of work that I had to deal with. I never expected that my old cards would have such great success.

At the moment only US Toy Magic has my cards in stock in the USA, shipping costs of only 5 US$ and Paypal payment possibility should not keep you from ordering directly from me.

Two good news: Mark Elsdon supported me with my Gypsy Monte (old Skinner Monte cards) and created a clever alternative handling that is now added to the cards. On my website is no information about that but everyone who orders the cards will get the routine also. In a couple of days I will raise the price for the cards as you now will get not only the cards but also a clever routine. So if you are thinking of getting the cards: perhaps now is a good time.

Another interesting news: I will be in Louisville as a dealer, so if anyone wants to see the cards live: come to my booth and get your hands on them!

Christian

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Skinner's 3 Card Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL