The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Color Changing Records OOP? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Did you know that the first 45 rpm records were made with different colors of vinyl for different genres of music?

Country & Western records were green.
Classical music was red.

Popular music records were black.
Children's music was done in bright yellow.

Show tunes were on midnight blue and international music was on sky blue.
Gospel music and rhythm & blues were "cherise" (kind of orange).

You may not find all this to be very interesting, but I'm not here to entertain! I'm here to teach history.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I just ran across my Ballad of Davy Crockett record, performed by "The Sandpipers with Mitchell Miller and Orchestra" in Yellow plastic. To bad no year printed on the label, but it was when Fess Parker played Davy Crockett on Walt Disney television show. That had to be in the late 1950's.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Is there a video of Jim Rainho Color Symphony records? Photos?

Is it available for purchase somewhere?

Thanks.

Best,
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I posted the information so that those interested could Google it and research it further.

Jim still has his website, but because 45rpm records are not as plentiful as they were 50 years ago, I don't believe he makes the set any longer.

At one time there use to be record playing machines in restaurants, as they changed out records, they sold old records really cheap in bulk. Those days are gone, and so are the supplies.

No video to my knowledge, easily creating video is a 21st Century product.

In those days, you had to spend hundreds of dollars for the equipment just to make a 15 minute film, no such thing as video. When video cameras did come to consumers, they were very expensive and not all that easy to learn to operate.

We have come a long way in just 30 years or so.
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2017, soleil wrote:

Is it available for purchase somewhere?

Thanks.

Best,

Unfortunately, Dan Garrett' "Over the Rainbow" has long been unavailable. Dan's version was based off of Magic Fukai's color changing records which were only sold at Fukai's lectures and conventions. I have searched high and low for the records or even CDs to perform this version but have come up empty. I was very lucky to have acquired Dan's set!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If Jim Rainho will no longer make Color Symphony, ask him permission to make your own. Very easy to make. You need 8 45s to start with, 4 of them are modified to create the effect. I still have mine. Good silks and a good stand are a must!

Doug
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I may have an extra set of Dan Garrett’s Alger the Rainbow. I will be going through some items in the next weeknor so that have been sitting in storage. If I come across it then I will post here as well as in Tricks for Sale section.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Nobody could point me to a video nor give me a description of the effect of Color Symphony.

I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994JmYqnfAQ

Is this the effect?

How do an envelope and silks be part of this?

Thank you,

best,
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
In a response to my question Jim Rainho confirmed he no longer builds Color Symphony
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, soleil wrote:
Nobody could point me to a video nor give me a description of the effect of Color Symphony.

I found this video:

Is this the effect?

Thank you,

best,

Color Symphony was a Tricks Co. Japan effect as shown in the link below. Seomagic calls it "Ultimate Color Changing Records by TRIX" but I have two copies and the instructions refer to it as "Color Symphony." In the two copies I have, there is no yellow record nor is a yellow record mentioned in the instructions.

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......s_id/722

The trick in the video link from your post looks like the standard color changing record effect done with rings. I see these on eBay from time to time.
The color changing records can easily be found on eBay but not the one with the triple color change as show here. Dan Garrett's "Over the Rainbow" is based off this effect but is no longer available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxa054Idsms
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Duane Laflin's "Russian Rings" have been mentioned several times on this thread, in various posts over the years, because it's a variation of the colour changing records.

https://www.laflinmagicstore.com/Russian-Rings-p/mrr.htm

Here's a thread from the Little Darlings area where that trick was discussed (a few posts in), as well:

Magic Café thread titled... Favorite Packs Flat Routine

People were asking for videos of that trick, so I tracked down a few and put 4 of them into this post a few months ago.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2017, soleil wrote:

I found this video:

Is this the effect?

Thank you,

best,

Not that is not James Rainho's effect. Again, he used real 45 RPM records, those in the video are not real records. He provided a stand and silks as well. I don't see a stand or silks. The stand was silver glitter and held 4 records in a row, on furniture tacks as I recall. The records rested on the post of the tacks, they were only partially hammered in along the bottom of the stand. Yes the stand folded in half for travel.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
If anyone is interested, I just listed Dan Garrett’s Ovr the Rainbow set in the Tricks for Sale section. I listed it along with other items: mynpost is entitled Potpurri of Magic Items for Sale.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:

You can see a picture HERE.
33 down and 3 across.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Thank you all,

best,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Color Changing Records OOP? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL