The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Elbow Knee Neck by Daryl found in Spectacle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
REVIEW

Effect: Elbow Knee and Neck
Classification: Coin Magic
Creator: World Class Magician~Daryl

WHAT THE AUDIENCE SEES:
The magician introduces 3 solid coins and lets the audience examine them. One by one, the magician places the coins in one of his hands in a closed fist. The coins are place in a very fair manner.
With just a shake of the closed fist, the magican says one coin has vanished from the fist and it jumps to the elbow.The magician proceeds to pull the coin out from the elbow.
With another shake of the closed fist, the magician says another coin has vanished from his closed fist and it jumps to his knee. The magician pulls another coin from his knee.
With another shake of the magician's closed fist, the magician says the last coin has vanished and says it has appeared on his neck. He then proceeds to pull out the last coin from his neck.
All three coins are seen by the spectator and even held by them. But wait! the audience still sees the magician having a closed fist.The audience thinks the coins that were produced are duplicate coins and that the fist still has some coins. The magician then magically opens his hands to find no coins in it.
The coins that were produced are the same three coins from the beginning that were placed in the hand.

NOTE:
I would like to point out that this effect can be found in the book called Spectacle by Stephen Minch. It is a great book with lots of magic in it, from close-up to stage magic to mentalism. Also, I'd like to state that I had the book for a long time and I have been performing the EKN effect for quite a while. I think it's only right to do a review of the effect once it has been tested in real world settings.

Even before acquiring the book, I have already heard a great deal of the Elbow, Knee and Neck plot. Having searched for the original method, I immediately purchased the book and started working on the effect.

WHAT YOU NEED:
Elbow Knee and Neck (EKN), needs only 3 solid coins. This fact fits my requirements because I seldom use gimmicks or gaffs in my magic. As I stated, this effect uses no gaffs. All you'll need are 3 solid coins and you're set.

THE SLEIGHTS INVOLVED:
Elbow Knee and Neck (EKN), is within the reach of any magician. The sleights used are quite simple. With constant practice and dedication, you'll be able to perform this effect in ample time. I like the fact that this effect requires very little from sleights making room for me to practice on my presentation of the effect.

THE PLOT OF THE EFFECT:
Elbow Knee and Neck (EKN), is a direct effect. I like this fact because the audience easily understands what is happening and they are far from getting confused. Magic is not confusion as great magicians state it. This effect, with the right body language, can even be performed to music or in the simplest sense without talking. It has a visual nature.

HOW IT WENT IN THE REAL WORLD SETTING:
Elbow Knee and Neck (EKN), is a commercial piece that most magicians don't perform. I personally like this effect because it is well structured. My audiences get shocked with the kicker ending of the effect. The routine is structured to have three magic moments done spontaneously and it ends with a kicker. Those who perform EKN know what I'm talking about. This works in the real world.

FINAL WORDS:
I highly recommend that every serious magician learn this effect. It will teach you proper structuring of the effect. Also , this is a very commercial routine that packs flat, packs small and plays big. You can perform this with a small audience. You can even perform it with a big audience. This effect can even be performed almost surrounded (270 degree cone), but still the best view of the effect is still from the front. No need to worry on angles because the routine is structured to let the audience look at certain places while you do the dirty work. And as I said earlier, this effect is practical. I recommend you use silver dollars for visibility. The effect can even be performed with 3 similar objects like bottle caps, poker chips, regular change, 3 identical key rings, 3 identical finger rings, 3 identical candies, etc.

If you want a great addition to your repertoire, this effect will serve you well.

I give the effect a 10/10.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......c83ff6e8
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1449 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I'm glad to see another fan of this effect. I bought Spectacle in 1990 when it came out and immediately fell in love with Elbo, Knee and Neck. Doug Conn has done some tweaking to the effect and combined it with another gem from Spectacle called "From the Elfin Hoard" which is by Geoff Latta. I believe the notes are called Connjuring 2 and the routine is called Coin Spectacle.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
This is one of my favorite coin tricks. No gaffs, nothing to hide, and start and end clean. What more can you ask for in a coin trick.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3771 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I also love this trick and have been doing it for years. It's always ready to go and everything can be borrowed if you like. I love gaffed coins but for ungaffed this is the way to go. It's usually my go to routine right after a coins across.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1257 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Very nice review, George. Thanks!

SPECTACLE is one of my favorite magic books. Thanks for bringing it up.

- Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I like the routine but wasn't so keen on the use of the pop up move. I replaced it with an alternative move that looks much more convincing.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2017 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm lucky enough to have seen daryl perform this in person at a lecture many years ago and it has been a worker for me ever since.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks guys. I really love the routine because it has served me well in the real world. As stated above, I too love the use of coin gaffs but if gaffless is the issue, this would be one of the effects I would perform. Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Elbow Knee Neck by Daryl found in Spectacle (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL