The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card on ceiling (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Howzaat
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Profile of Howzaat
I'm interested in the 'Card on ceiling' trick by Michael Ammar. Does anyone have it and if so, is it a good trick to purchase?

Smile
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
This effect is best suited for restaurant magic. The card stays up there pretty much until someone makes an effort to get it down (gravity virtually shuts off), because Michael Ammar's Magic Wax is very, very strong. If you do it somewhere public, you will most likely need to get it down yourself, and whoever you performed for will see the gimmick.

They are amazed that their signed card is stuck to the ceiling after being put into the center of the deck, and the deck then being rubberbanded. While they know that you obviously used "something" other than magic to get it to stick, people usually respond extremely well to this one.

But, if you are just looking to perform it for friends and such, it is still a good value at only $10 or so.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Mark Butcher
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, NY
116 Posts

Profile of Mark Butcher
It is a great trick and I would use Ammar's wax, as Dulcimer stated above. His wax has the right consistency to hold the card there a very long time.

IMO as well as others (Including Ammar) you should not perform this effect as part of or even as a set with the ambitious card. The less they know you can bring a card to the top at will the better the effect will play.

-Mark
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3251 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree. I've done this literally hundreds of times and it blows people away. I never attempt to get the card down and with the exception of one venue, no one else does either.

I was a student at Notre Dame a while back and used to do this a lot. Most of the buildings had a card on the ceiling. The most notable was the Golden Dome (our main building). I put a card on that ceiling about 8 years ago. The building went through a multi-million dollar renovation. The workers completely re-did all the ceilings. To my surprise, they took my card down...re-did the ceilings... and then put my card back up on the ceiling. How cool is that.
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Quote:
On 2003-03-04 08:41, emyers99 wrote:
I was a student at Notre Dame a while back and used to do this a lot. Most of the buildings had a card on the ceiling. The most notable was the Golden Dome (our main building). I put a card on that ceiling about 8 years ago. The building went through a multi-million dollar renovation. The workers completely re-did all the ceilings. To my surprise, they took my card down...re-did the ceilings... and then put my card back up on the ceiling. How cool is that.

Dude, that is the best thing ever. EVER. Oh hey, we are going to totally redo this building, and it is costing more money than 99.9% of people make in a lifetime, but we'll put the card back up there when we are done, because someone put it there for a reason....tremendous.
Chris Boyd
Howzaat
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Profile of Howzaat
So, you don't recommend doing the trick at home? I don't think my parents would appreciate a damaged ceiling!

Smile
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
The wax will sometimes take off a miniscule amount (too small to notice) of some types of ceilings (obviously not wood) when you remove the card.

Why shouldn't you do it at your home to friends or family? Well, what are your parent's or whoever going to do when the trick is over? They'll say, "How did you do that? I know...I'll just get this broom and knock the card down so I can find out for myself." Then the magic is ruined. Home is a good place to practice, but I wouldn't want to perform there.

The same goes pretty much anywhere you have not made arrangements with the owner of the ceiling to keep the source of your powers a secret. If you perform at a restaurant, and the management okays it, then this is great to perform because the cards stay up so long. Regulars return with friends to show them their signed card from months or years earlier.
Chris Boyd
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
Card on ceiling can be a reputation maker. I've worked at one restaurant for nine years and there are about 800 cards on the ceiling. People bring friends in and try to get close to their card. They repainted the ceiling about 2 years ago, took all the cards down and put them back up.
Dan
magician_carter
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magician_carter
There isn't anything I can add to any of the above statement. For the money this is a powerful trick. Mike Ammar's wax is the best I have worked with.

Enjoy the effect.

Carter Smile
Without Magic, Life is Boring.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I have been doing JC Wagner's card on the ceiling. I think it is just as good. Any thoughts on this.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5243 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The best version IMO uses a thumbtack, not wax.
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
I have done Michael Ammars card on the ceiling for several years now. I am a school teacher and I have done it in most of the classrooms of my school. The other staff members and students are baffled when they see that card up there. Smile They can't believe it. I would agree w/everyone that Michael Ammar's wax is the best.

My goal is to get it up on the gym ceiling(about 30 feet up!)

I would highly recommend it!

Cheers! Smile
halcon
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of halcon
I really enjoy JC wagners Card on ceiling as well... what a way to make an extra buck Smile

Halcon
Howzaat
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Profile of Howzaat
Thanks to everyone for their posts.....I've decided to buy it - can't wait!

Smile
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Are there different versions of this trick? I like the idea of the deck being rubberbanded. Do all versions tie up the deck someway?
Howzaat
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Profile of Howzaat
The version that I have seen is by Michael Ammar and uses rubber bands. They are tied around the cards and then thrown up in the air. I found this one on

http://www.magictricks.co.uk
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Oh man, I've never had this effect but it sounds great! Haha, I'm wondering how you can throw the deck so accurately that that side will be facing the ceiling. Hehe, I think I'm going ot purchase it.
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
samthemagical
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
90 Posts

Profile of samthemagical
After a couple cards in the same place, try card IN ceiling. The corner of the card looks like it is actually jammed several inches into the ceiling. More limitations, though, so only for special occasions.
mrmagic2002
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of mrmagic2002
I could never get the spin right?! carl andrews has a great version of this also.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 79: Card on Ceiling – Michael Ammar

AD:
The Card on Ceiling has proven to be one of the most impressive and talked about card effects in the entire realm of card magic!
A signed card is lost in the deck, which is then sealed with rubber bands.
The deck is tossed up to the ceiling (as high as a 40 foot ceiling will work!).
The deck falls back down, but the signed card sticks!
The fact that the card remains on display high above the heads of all who pass by, for months, forces people to notice and comment on it!
It could be called the "perfect effect" because of the clarity of what happens; and the reputation it helps earn for the person performing it!
The Card on Ceiling is one of Michael Ammar's favorite effects. This one effect has earned him more notoriety than any other single effect he performs. It is a real reputation maker.
Michael's method, along with a special formulation developed by Palmer Tilden makes this the best, easiest, and most sure fire way to put a card on the ceiling!
In addition to the Card on Ceiling, you will receive as a bonus the fabulous Coin on Ceiling.
Practical, commercial magic that you will use!

REVIEW:

Another classic Signature Piece from Ammar. You get a large amount of the necessary “secret gimmick”, and a few coloured sheets with general instructions. The card moves described are very basic, and you will need to know better card techniques.

The effect can only be performed in specific situations (unless you want to expose part of the working), but it’s well worth the wait…

The only card trick I do.

Overall rating: Excellent

H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card on ceiling (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL