The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request: Asi - Time is Money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
414 Posts

Profile of daver
Does anyone have this? Quality of the video, teaching, the routine itself???

demo is at http://www.asimagic.com (and on the back cover of this month's Genii)

Thanks....
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I've been touring around the West Coast for the last two years (Ohio, Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Washington, Toronto, etc) and I've met a TON of big name guys. The person that stood out the MOST, in terms of KILLER material, was Asi.

There, I said it. I haven't been hurt so bad in a long long time.

And, the first trick I saw him do, on stage for about 400 people, was Time is Money (well, not the FIRST trick, but one of the ones in his 15 min set that really stood out).

Josh Jay called it the best trick he published the year it appeared in Talk about Tricks.

Nothing more to say.
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
searching for the Magic Rainbow in
1511 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
It is also recommended by Chris Kenner as he said in Theory 11, this is must buy.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag
Hong Kong made a page in FISM history in 2015, 2nd runner up in Parlour (Henry Harrius) & Card (Kelvin Chow)
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
414 Posts

Profile of daver
I've seen Asi a number of times, never saw him perform this (even in a casual, non-show, after-show dinner setting) and in passing have thought of getting this but never followed up, and just saw the ad in Genii which jogged my memory so I figured I'd ask.

Just placed my order.

Thanks!
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
This routine was one of the hits of MAGIC Live this past August. Asi performed it in the close-up show and smoked my group by doing it twice to the same guy.

The next day, it was the focus of a very intensive Talk About Tricks session where he walked through it on the big screens step by step. He also made himself available for a personal session later in the day.

With all that being said, I was working on the folds of the dollar on the plane ride home and was still having to fold and refold. Having a video right in front of you would be very benficial in learning this routine.

The routine is truly killer, and having Asi show you step by step how to fold the bill in my honest opinion is a necessity.
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
I've seen Asi do this many times at Monday Night Magic, and he never fails to kill with it. Asi is a young, bright, creative individual who's name you'll be hearing a lot very soon. What stands out most is that he CARES about his magic like nobody else, and it's evident in his work. Look at my previous posts and notice I don't give this kind of praise to anyone... buy Asi is a gem. You'd be stupid not to buy this DVD, if for nothing else, then to experience his passion for the routine.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of nimrod
The finale of my last tv series took place in Vegas (we shoot it 4 months ago). I looked for the biggest name in US close up magic today. Asi was my pick (and Kevin James. They both did great). I truely consider him as one of the best close up workers in the world living today and those who know me know that I'm not generous with compliments.
As for the routine, I don't care much for it (I'm not a close up magician anymore), but I know (and saw) that in Asi's hands it kills. I think he should have put it with other routines of his because in my opinion a whole DVD for just this routine is too little. And again, if you are a close up worker I recommand you check it out becuase I believe you'll use it. And if you don't know Asi you should. He is phenomenal.

Nimrod , Israel
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Which issue of magic did it appear?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3429 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Get the dvd. The instructions are much easier to follow by watching him prepare the trick. Plus he shows several variations. The dvd is good and easy to follow. If you are interested in this trick, I would recommend learning from the dvd rather than print.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
414 Posts

Profile of daver
Hart, I don't think it was in Magic, as in the magazine; someone mentioned Asi was at MAGIC Live. I saw the ad on the back cover of Feb '08 Genii.

I remembered hearing about it mid last year, and even sat at dinner with the boy (Asi) some time after that, but just sorta forgot about it and lost track till I saw the ad, and since these posts, ordered the DVD.

If you get it from asimagic.com it's $35 shipped. (PayPal payment).

Just waiting for it now ;-)
Dave

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Asi - Time is Money:

"The best thing I saw at MAGIC Live!"
- Paul Harris

"You totally, TOTALLY, fooled me!!!"
- Chris Kenner

"The best money routine I have seen."
- Jeff Hobson
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
It WAS in magic, Josh Jay's Talk About tricks section, but I believe that issue has sold out.

I would get the dvd if I was you though.
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I have been getting magic magazine for about 8 years, so I'm sure I have the issue. Just wondering which one...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
February 2005 issue of MAGIC
jaded
View Profile
New user
colorado springs
73 Posts

Profile of jaded
TIME IS MONEY wasn't for me. It takes some bold moves, similar to a watch steal. I liked the routine but it unfortunately isn't something that I will perform, especially as I gear more towards mentalism these days. The DVD quality is pretty good and so is the teaching. He has a tendency to speak very quickly so you may need to watch certain parts over and over again.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
414 Posts

Profile of daver
Had no idea this was around for going on 3 years! I thought it was something pretty new in 2007...
Dave

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-25 18:03, jaded wrote:
TIME IS MONEY wasn't for me. It takes some bold moves, similar to a watch steal. I liked the routine but it unfortunately isn't something that I will perform, especially as I gear more towards mentalism these days. The DVD quality is pretty good and so is the teaching. He has a tendency to speak very quickly so you may need to watch certain parts over and over again.

I hear where you're coming from. And if you go to mentalism, "tricks" won't be for you. Many folks have taken that road, so you're in good company!

For the closeup guys though, Martin Nash in a lecture said " If you want to perform miracles, you have to take risks".

daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
414 Posts

Profile of daver
One of the reasons I'm looking at this, and have ventured more into mentalism is exactly that, Chris. I've always been afraid of getting busted. To the point of sometimes getting paralyzed and not doing stuff in even ideal conditions. So I moved to more gimmickless effects, then away from flourishy manipulation for fear of just being accused of "hand quicker than the eye" and all that, and started to work on being just a plain guy who can do really cool and strange things and make it look (hopefully) effortless and generally prop-less...
Dave

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dave, first off, I LOVE Jipter FLorida! Burt Reynolds country!!

Any magic that takes knucklebusting moves, or...just doesn't look good in the average hands ( practice for 50 years and it won't look good-same as trying to be like Eric Clapton on guitar ). Some guys have that knack, others don't. I don't. So....I use personality and humor.

But..you can still do miracles. Time is Money may just take some BIG stones to slip the bill under their watch. You get caught at first, but in time you get smoother and better at it. I don't have it, so I'm not sure what it will take.

daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
414 Posts

Profile of daver
Well, it kinda used to be BR country. Till Loni took it all, and his 10 acre ranch is no more. He still comes back to teach acting at a small place here once in a while, but according to the newspaper, people are getting PO'ed because he's been reneging on things, but that's not first hand info, and I digress...

I agree it takes a big pair to pull off some of that stuff, and that is where I'm forcing myself out of my comfort zone, to explore and expand. A guy in college once told me, and I have found it to be verrry true, that you can get away with almost anything as long as you make it look like you know what you're doing. I don't want to begin to tell you the stuff I've gotten away with at rock shows, sporting events... ;-)

So needless to say, I just keep trying to get the nerve to put that to use in magic. And I have been finding out more and more, that as long as you choose your (initial) spectators carefully, getting busted isn't all that bad, and when they're there to see you try to show it to someone else, they're your best friends, 'cause they wanna be "in on it", and that makes the learning better and more fun... Just getting over that initial bust is the hurdle ;-)
Dave

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request: Asi - Time is Money (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL