The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz: Dream Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

For years I've been wanting to perform this effect. I don't have a wallet that allows me to do the effect exactly as Ortiz does it. I do have a Lepaul wallet, though, which allows the signed card to end up in a sealed envelope in a wallet. I figured that an envelope can make sense as a prediction. Only downside is that I can't show the card on forehand as Ortiz does. I can show the envelope in the wallet. The mchanics are a little bit different (I have to do s sidesteal instead of a topp**m), but that isn't really a problem.

What do you guys think of this? Does the downside of not showing the card before the effect begins weighs up to the pro of the card in the envelope?

Thanks!

Simon
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
I love performing the efffect with Steve Draun's Real Man's Wallet. It's only 30 bucks and IMHO is one of the best card to wallets available. I think it's essential to show the card before hand to let it sink in that you have made a prediction with an off colored card, only in the end for their selection to be the stranger card.

Should you decide on getting the Real Man's Wallet, you can PM me for the handling.

Jason.
Fresh
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Fresh
For anyone who has CardShark - is the Real Man's Wallet "good" for "The Phantom Card" (selection is put in wallet, found back in deck, disappears and is found in the wallet again). Thanks.
AngeloR
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Is Ortiz' Dream Card effect found in Scams and Fantasies? I am considering the purchase of this book (BTW, my purchase does not hinge on this effect being included, I am just trying to track down the description of the effect.)

Regards,
Angelo
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
The dream card is in darwin ortiz at the card table. It's in the book as well as the dvd's. it's on the first volume. In my opinion: the strongest CTW around.
AngeloR
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Oh great! Another book I must have! Smile

Seriously though, thanks for pointing me to the source and for the strong recommendation of the effect. I have finally gotten used to the fact that for magi there is always just one more book .... . Smile

Regards,
Angelo
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
I was just going through that book the other day and was thinking that I wish I had a wallet that would let me perform this. I have never performed it, but I would think that showing the card before hand would be a definite selling point.

Now if I may ask. What would people recommend for a non-secretary style wallet? Having it in my breast pocket is no big deal, but a secretary style wallet just doesn't seem to suit me. If all else fails I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get one anyway haha.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Good question! There is another (not very long) thread about this.
Maybe we will get some good suggestions here as well.

I've been playing with my kaps wallet as well. You have to change the mechanics a bit with my wallet, but it seems to work. The Kaps on fire model looks like an everyday wallet.

It seems that the real mans wallet would work as well, but then you have to load it into your backpocket. I wanna use the inner breast pocket.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4435 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Dream Card is one of the best versions of Card to Wallet I have seen.
Magic is very fun!
Axelchen
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
359 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
Just a thought perhaps for an alternative handling:

I have seen an promotion video of a David Regal routine, where a window-envelope is used, at he beginning you can see f.e.(i.e.?) a blue-backed card inside the envelope (i think as an prediction). later you remove the card from the envelope and, I think, it is switched. can´t remember any details. perhaps that envelope can be used instead of the wallet. but... perhaps it IS the same effect like "dreamcard" handled by David Regal. I visit my dealer and give further informations in a few minutes if that item is in stock.

Axel
Axelchen
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
359 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
Soo...it´s called "Special Delivery". looks as if that method could be adopted, but I don´t know for sure, ok? I think a trailer can be seen at penguin magic.

Axel
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4595 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
To answer the question-

If you don't show the card at the beginning you are missing the point of the routine (Darwin, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)
FiveAcademyMagic.com

We don't release content often, but what we release is always awesome.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I just finished watching Darwin perform the routine. The more I think about it, the more I think that the showing of the card before the routine is indeed vital for the routine. Its probably what makes the routine so strong.

The actual showing of the card is probably much more convincing than the showing of the envelope in the wallet.
Axelchen
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
359 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
Sorry simon,
I was to quick. of course you have to show the odd-backed card at the beginning! like BenTrain said, that's the heart of the effect.
the spectator may anticipate the you perhaps have an duplicate of the card they choose. but they really don´t see the end coming, their signature on an odd-backed card that has been spatially separated all the time, locked in the wallet. they see the card at the beginning and they are convinced to have signed a blue-backed card and so I don´t think they can connect in any way that the card they saw in the wallet is their card. I think, that's the point. and you miss it if you don´t show the card at the beginning.

from the entertaining view the shown card builts suspense, the spectator knows there is a card and, because he knows perhaps some other card-tricks, he thinks it could be the mate or duplication from another deck (in the worst case). normally he perhaps can´t figure out what that card has to do with the trick. in the end you hit them between the eyes because no-one saw it coming.

so, therefore I suggested the use of a window-envelope like in David Regals effect. they can see the odd-backed card in advance.

Best regards,
Axel



Hello Simon! of course I was too quick!
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of evikshin
I've recently developed my own handling of the Dream Card using my Triple Threat CTW. I agree, it is bar-none, the strongest CTW. Now, because of the mechanics of the load, I had to alter some of the handling, but the bulk of the presentation and sequencing remains the same.

PM me if you own this wallet and you are interested in my ideas on this.

Evikshin
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have a nice Kaps style wallet I picked up for around $30 at Barry's. It isn't as nice as the Jerry O'Connell wallet but hey, they are about $100 different in price. I still plan on picking up an O'Connell when I can afford it, but in the meantime, my cheapie works just fine for the trick.


By the way, for another very nice CtoW from Darwin, see "The Phantom Card" in "Cardshark".
In the same book, "Pickup on South Street" is another spectacular CtoW using a Mullica or other "No Palm" wallet.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Fresh
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Fresh
Don does the Kaps wallet work well for The Phantom Card?

Thanks.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 21:31, DStachowiak wrote:
By the way, for another very nice CtoW from Darwin, see "The Phantom Card" in "Cardshark".
In the same book, "Pickup on South Street" is another spectacular CtoW using a Mullica or other "No Palm" wallet.


I absolutely love pick up on South Street. However, I don't feel comfortable (YET) letting the spectator hold my wallet, because I'm afraid they will notice the loading chamber on the back or touch it. So what I do is I keep my wallet in my pocket. I do think it makes it a stronger effect to let them hold it though.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 21:48, Fresh wrote:
Don does the Kaps wallet work well for The Phantom Card?

Thanks.

Yes, the Kaps Wallet is perfect for this.

Quote:
On 2008-01-29 22:06, evikshin wrote:

I absolutely love pick up on South Street. However, I don't feel comfortable (YET) letting the spectator hold my wallet, because I'm afraid they will notice the loading chamber on the back or touch it. So what I do is I keep my wallet in my pocket. I do think it makes it a stronger effect to let them hold it though.

Evikshin, what wallet are you using for this? If you have a traditional Mullica, the outside wallet is ungaffed, so there is nothing for the spectator to discover.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, USA
1083 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 17:31, BenTrain (Nordatrax) wrote:
To answer the question-

If you don't show the card at the beginning you are missing the point of the routine (Darwin, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Yup, that would be true.
Not showing the card from the beginning turns it from a hybird version of Hamman's Signed Card plot and Card to Wallet, into Card To Wallet and color changing back plot.

Big difference if you ask me.

~ Feras
David French
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of David French
Another very good version, the one I use, is by Cody Fisher. It is well thought out, although I have modified some of it.

It can be found on his DVD Cody Fisher on Magic.

Best,

David
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
@ DStachowiak:

I have a kaps wallet as well, it's the firewallet model, that looks like a regular sized wallet. I took out the fire principle. I've used this wallet numerous times for card to wallet or as an ending to the ambitious card.

The problem with my wallet is that the l****r falls in the wallet prematurly sometimes. that's why I keep the l****r at an angle in the wallet. It's a bit harder to load, and very, very, very occasionaly I miss. Now with the CTW that I do or the AC ending you can easily produce the card out of your pocket, the audience didn't knew what was coming, so it's no big deal. With the dreamcard, obviously, you can't afford to miss.

I've been playing with my kaps wallet for the dreamcard and it goes well, but I would hate it if I miss in performance with this effect. Do you have the same problems with your wallet? Í remember I've seen versions that have a thicker l****r which don't slides down on it's own. May I ask which version you have?
Is it the big kaps wallet or the small model? Can you give a reference where you bought it?

Thanks!

@ David French:
Can you tell a little bit more about this routine? I'm very interested!

Thanks!

Simon
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
There is an interesting take on Ortiz's Dream Card in Mike Powers' book Top Secret Stuff. The trick in Powers' book is entitles Nightmare Card. I really like his version and the book has just recently come back in print.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 00:23, DStachowiak wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 21:48, Fresh wrote:
Don does the Kaps wallet work well for The Phantom Card?

Thanks.

Yes, the Kaps Wallet is perfect for this.

Quote:
On 2008-01-29 22:06, evikshin wrote:

I absolutely love pick up on South Street. However, I don't feel comfortable (YET) letting the spectator hold my wallet, because I'm afraid they will notice the loading chamber on the back or touch it. So what I do is I keep my wallet in my pocket. I do think it makes it a stronger effect to let them hold it though.

Evikshin, what wallet are you using for this? If you have a traditional Mullica, the outside wallet is ungaffed, so there is nothing for the spectator to discover.



I'm using a Triple Threat wallet. Are you by any chance familiar with the design? The loading chamber is meant to look like an extra layer of leather on the back of the wallet. I've never had anyone comment on that during everyday usage--HOWEVER, in the context of a magic trick, I'm not sure if they may feel that extra leather layer and think of it as something significant. I've never tried letting anyone handle my wallet.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5211 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Anyone who's interested in a brilliant but little known idea (not mine) for loading a pal*** card into a breast pocket wallet can PM me and I'll share.

Larry
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1374 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
The best card to wallet I've seen (of course this is just my opinion) is Airmail Card by James Swain. He does a nice routine with a signed card then talks about a trick his friend sent him. He gets his wallet and pulls a card out that has his address on the back as well as a stamp and he says it was mailed to him. Of course it's the signed selection. Since the spectator doesn't see the back of the card you could use any card you wanted for the airmail card.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 09:20, Simon Bakker wrote:
@ DStachowiak:

I have a kaps wallet as well, it's the firewallet model, that looks like a regular sized wallet. I took out the fire principle. I've used this wallet numerous times for card to wallet or as an ending to the ambitious card.

The problem with my wallet is that the l****r falls in the wallet prematurly sometimes. that's why I keep the l****r at an angle in the wallet. It's a bit harder to load, and very, very, very occasionaly I miss. Now with the CTW that I do or the AC ending you can easily produce the card out of your pocket, the audience didn't knew what was coming, so it's no big deal. With the dreamcard, obviously, you can't afford to miss.

I've been playing with my kaps wallet for the dreamcard and it goes well, but I would hate it if I miss in performance with this effect. Do you have the same problems with your wallet? Í remember I've seen versions that have a thicker l****r which don't slides down on it's own. May I ask which version you have?
Is it the big kaps wallet or the small model? Can you give a reference where you bought it?

Thanks!

@ David French:
Can you tell a little bit more about this routine? I'm very interested!

Thanks!

Simon

The one I have is a "secretary" style wallet, the type you carry inside a jacket pocket. I have not had any problems with the whatsis slipping. There is no fire feature. I used to have a fire wallet with a Kaps style load, possibly the same type you have. As I recall the gaff was very thin plastic, and I can imagine it doing just what you describe. I don't know who makes the one I have now, but it wasn't expensive and it's actually pretty good. I'll try and take a picture of it later so you can see what it's like. I bought it at Barry's Magic Shop, here's his web site: http://barrysmagicshop.com/
He is in the process of rebuilding his web site so the search doesn't bring up very much, but Barry's a great guy, if you email him and tell him what you are looking for, He'll probably be able to help you out.

OK, The Dream Card:
The performer removes a red-backed card from his wallet. Without showing its face, he explains the card represents a prediction. This card is then replaced in the wallet. A spectator freely and very fairly selects any card from a blue deck and signs it on the face. The card is lost back in the deck. The performer now removes the red-backed prediction card from his wallet and shows that it not only matches the blue-backed card the spectator selected, it is actually the same card since it bears the spectators signature on its face.

It's in Darwin's book "At the Card Table" and also on his DVD of the same name.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 11:26, evikshin wrote:


I'm using a Triple Threat wallet. Are you by any chance familiar with the design? The loading chamber is meant to look like an extra layer of leather on the back of the wallet. I've never had anyone comment on that during everyday usage--HOWEVER, in the context of a magic trick, I'm not sure if they may feel that extra leather layer and think of it as something significant. I've never tried letting anyone handle my wallet.

I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like it has a no-palm load feature as part of the main wallet. The Mullica has an "Inner wallet", sort of a checkbook looking thing, that stays safely inside until the moment you actually need it. Not being familiar with the Triple Threat, I can't really say how likely it is to arouse suspicion.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz: Dream Card (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.305955 seconds, requiring 76 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [0] [2] [1] [3] [5] [9] [2]