The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz: Dream Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Another very good version, the one I use, is by Cody Fisher. It is well thought out, although I have modified some of it.

It can be found on his DVD Cody Fisher on Magic.

Best,

David
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
@ DStachowiak:

I have a kaps wallet as well, it's the firewallet model, that looks like a regular sized wallet. I took out the fire principle. I've used this wallet numerous times for card to wallet or as an ending to the ambitious card.

The problem with my wallet is that the l****r falls in the wallet prematurly sometimes. that's why I keep the l****r at an angle in the wallet. It's a bit harder to load, and very, very, very occasionaly I miss. Now with the CTW that I do or the AC ending you can easily produce the card out of your pocket, the audience didn't knew what was coming, so it's no big deal. With the dreamcard, obviously, you can't afford to miss.

I've been playing with my kaps wallet for the dreamcard and it goes well, but I would hate it if I miss in performance with this effect. Do you have the same problems with your wallet? Í remember I've seen versions that have a thicker l****r which don't slides down on it's own. May I ask which version you have?
Is it the big kaps wallet or the small model? Can you give a reference where you bought it?

Thanks!

@ David French:
Can you tell a little bit more about this routine? I'm very interested!

Thanks!

Simon
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
There is an interesting take on Ortiz's Dream Card in Mike Powers' book Top Secret Stuff. The trick in Powers' book is entitles Nightmare Card. I really like his version and the book has just recently come back in print.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 00:23, DStachowiak wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 21:48, Fresh wrote:
Don does the Kaps wallet work well for The Phantom Card?

Thanks.

Yes, the Kaps Wallet is perfect for this.

Quote:
On 2008-01-29 22:06, evikshin wrote:

I absolutely love pick up on South Street. However, I don't feel comfortable (YET) letting the spectator hold my wallet, because I'm afraid they will notice the loading chamber on the back or touch it. So what I do is I keep my wallet in my pocket. I do think it makes it a stronger effect to let them hold it though.

Evikshin, what wallet are you using for this? If you have a traditional Mullica, the outside wallet is ungaffed, so there is nothing for the spectator to discover.

I'm using a Triple Threat wallet. Are you by any chance familiar with the design? The loading chamber is meant to look like an extra layer of leather on the back of the wallet. I've never had anyone comment on that during everyday usage--HOWEVER, in the context of a magic trick, I'm not sure if they may feel that extra leather layer and think of it as something significant. I've never tried letting anyone handle my wallet.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Anyone who's interested in a brilliant but little known idea (not mine) for loading a pal*** card into a breast pocket wallet can PM me and I'll share.

Larry
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
The best card to wallet I've seen (of course this is just my opinion) is Airmail Card by James Swain. He does a nice routine with a signed card then talks about a trick his friend sent him. He gets his wallet and pulls a card out that has his address on the back as well as a stamp and he says it was mailed to him. Of course it's the signed selection. Since the spectator doesn't see the back of the card you could use any card you wanted for the airmail card.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 09:20, Simon Bakker wrote:
@ DStachowiak:

I have a kaps wallet as well, it's the firewallet model, that looks like a regular sized wallet. I took out the fire principle. I've used this wallet numerous times for card to wallet or as an ending to the ambitious card.

The problem with my wallet is that the l****r falls in the wallet prematurly sometimes. that's why I keep the l****r at an angle in the wallet. It's a bit harder to load, and very, very, very occasionaly I miss. Now with the CTW that I do or the AC ending you can easily produce the card out of your pocket, the audience didn't knew what was coming, so it's no big deal. With the dreamcard, obviously, you can't afford to miss.

I've been playing with my kaps wallet for the dreamcard and it goes well, but I would hate it if I miss in performance with this effect. Do you have the same problems with your wallet? Í remember I've seen versions that have a thicker l****r which don't slides down on it's own. May I ask which version you have?
Is it the big kaps wallet or the small model? Can you give a reference where you bought it?

Thanks!

@ David French:
Can you tell a little bit more about this routine? I'm very interested!

Thanks!

Simon

The one I have is a "secretary" style wallet, the type you carry inside a jacket pocket. I have not had any problems with the whatsis slipping. There is no fire feature. I used to have a fire wallet with a Kaps style load, possibly the same type you have. As I recall the gaff was very thin plastic, and I can imagine it doing just what you describe. I don't know who makes the one I have now, but it wasn't expensive and it's actually pretty good. I'll try and take a picture of it later so you can see what it's like. I bought it at Barry's Magic Shop, here's his web site: http://barrysmagicshop.com/
He is in the process of rebuilding his web site so the search doesn't bring up very much, but Barry's a great guy, if you email him and tell him what you are looking for, He'll probably be able to help you out.

OK, The Dream Card:
The performer removes a red-backed card from his wallet. Without showing its face, he explains the card represents a prediction. This card is then replaced in the wallet. A spectator freely and very fairly selects any card from a blue deck and signs it on the face. The card is lost back in the deck. The performer now removes the red-backed prediction card from his wallet and shows that it not only matches the blue-backed card the spectator selected, it is actually the same card since it bears the spectators signature on its face.

It's in Darwin's book "At the Card Table" and also on his DVD of the same name.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 11:26, evikshin wrote:

I'm using a Triple Threat wallet. Are you by any chance familiar with the design? The loading chamber is meant to look like an extra layer of leather on the back of the wallet. I've never had anyone comment on that during everyday usage--HOWEVER, in the context of a magic trick, I'm not sure if they may feel that extra leather layer and think of it as something significant. I've never tried letting anyone handle my wallet.

I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like it has a no-palm load feature as part of the main wallet. The Mullica has an "Inner wallet", sort of a checkbook looking thing, that stays safely inside until the moment you actually need it. Not being familiar with the Triple Threat, I can't really say how likely it is to arouse suspicion.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz: Dream Card (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL