The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring flight - how to speed up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
I love performing ring flight, and have used it for a few years now. A problem that comes up too frequently, though, is that it sometimes takes a few seconds too long to get the ring onto the gimmick.

Many times I "hit" it correctly and get the ring fastened very quickly. At other times, though, I lose a few precious seconds right in front of an audience. I try to divert attention by talking while doing this, and also by walking up to the front of the stage while working to get the ring fastened.

I've thought about maybe substituting the gimmick for one that I can get on a lot quicker.

Any thoughts on making ring flight a little smoother? It's a great effect, and it always gets a strong reaction.

Thank you!
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
My "Ring Flight" is named Flying Ring by Gaetan Bloom. The Beauty of this trick is: The Person first see the wallet empty,the person holds the wallet at the moment of the vanish of the ring and seconds later the ring is in the wallet,the same that is in the hands of the spectator. I like this because NOT use a hook, use another method and is very effective.The only point is the gimmick difficult to use a big ring, but no matter in the regular ring flight a big one is not recommendable.This is the one that I personally use and recommend,
I hope help you!
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Use the standard approach of putting a jeweler's loupe in your eye and inspecting the ring while you hold it in both hands and attach it to the clip (I use a humorous line while I inspect the ring). The brilliance of this approach is that you can do it while spectators are burning your hands because the loupe motivates the handling, there's no timing issue, and no misdirection is needed.
asianmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
130 Posts

Profile of asianmagic
Hi Hansel,

That sounds like a great effect! I can see that this would be quite stunning!

Thank so much!
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Hansel, does that involve a little sleight of hand or palming to make that work? There's no rectracting line?

Larry, that is a fabulous idea! You could stand there for a while, if you got stuck, and just eat up the time with some small talk, or, like, jokingly asking if the ring is a real diamond or one of those fake diamonds! Brilliant idea!
Motivational Magic
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out Fly Ring by Mark Leveredge Another no reel approach. Or my Just in Case at http://www.porperoriginals.com

One easy way is under a handkerchief to hook up or wrap the ring in flash paper with hook uncer and tear thru.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Pete won't beat his own drum, but his (and Porper's) version of the Ring Flight is superior in every way to Bloom's Ring Flight version. I used Bloom's for a while but didn't like the limitations. Pete and Joe developed a version that addressed the limitations. They designed a very quick, sure, and easy hook-up.

I have Mark Leveredge's version too. I bought it from Mark when he first introduced. It is a good version of a snap closed multi-key holder. It is designed for easy hook-up.

An excellent reel version (amongst the best in my opinion) and inexpensive is Dick Barry's version. It has the smallest reel I've seen in such a prop, indestructible line, and again a fairly easy hookup. His routine is designed to hook up the ring in such a way that it has almost no distance to travel. It is done on an off beat. The best part is that it is amongst the least expensive of this kind of prop. It is presently the only reel based Ring Flight I use.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Thank you Pete and Harry! That sounds fabulous!
Motivational Magic
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fred Kaps used no gimmick (similar to Leveredge's idea.) He had the case in a rear pants pocket and used all sleight of hand. Of course he was a master of sleights. Put it on the clip as he went to his pocket. No reel, no TT, no nuttin'.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd be afraid to use many of the Ring Flites out there because I think the clip would scratch the ring. Some of the spring loaded clips are better, because there's less resistance. I would think that someone makes a plastic clip that would work well.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Not many of the Reel-less based versions will scratch the ring. Most are a hook the ring on and lift affairs. No worry about the ring getting dammaged putting it on or taking it off. That included Jeff Stewarts "ring thing", Steve Duscheck's "ringer", the "Morelli Ting Flight", Mark Leveredge's version, Sanders new "interlace", Knights "Paint Can Surprise" and Pete Brio/Joe Popper’s “Just in Case” amongest others.

I've used (am using in some venues) Dick Barry's reel-based version and never even came close to scratching a ring using his "lobster-claw" set-up.

In maybe 25 years of performing some version of ring flight, I've never lost a ring or damaged a ring (lost a stone or scratched it). But then I take my time to do the trick! There is no rush to hooking the ring up whatever you use!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Ring Finale is perhaps the most practical I've seen yet. No clasps, no reels, and like Pete says, no nuttin'. All balls as it should be in my mind at this point. I've found that its actually more work trying to load or clasp a ring than the approach used in Ring Finale. I left a review here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring flight - how to speed up? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL