The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cant find the books about sponges? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
I think I looked through the hole internet now but cant find the three books I'm looking for!
Is there anyone hwo knows where to find:
Frank Garcia on sponge balls.
David Groves Spongeballs a million.
and
Audley Walsh classic spongeball routine.

And are these any good?
Thanks
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
I guess it is impossible to find Frank Garcias encyklopedia of spongeballs? and if I would find it it would be impossible expensive...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frank Garcia had two different sponge ball books out. The Encyclopedia is not impossible to find, but it is very expensive. However, if you can read German, the German translation is still fairly inexpensive.

His other book was in his "Message from Garcia" series, published by Gene Gordon. It has some excellent material in it.

Also, don't forget The Sponge Book by Laurie Ireland. It is still available from Magic, Inc. It has some really good material in it. It is far better than the Walsh book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Bill- you are so right about the Ireland book- so glad you told me about it.

Khayman:
If you search some of the used book sites such as abebooks, alibris etc. You will find the Encyclopedia at a variety of prices. I found one for just over $!00 which is considerably below many other listings. It does take time. The other side of this is that if your a bibliophile like me the contacts you make with the booksellers is that they will contact you when items on a wish list appear. Several shops have emailed me even up to 2 years after buying from them when an item is available ( I collect books in multiple areas not just magic) and oft times the price is quite reasonable. Good luck on your search.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Don't lock onto a single title or titles. The routine in Peter Samuelson's Book, Theatrical Close-up is probably better than the stuff in the books you've locked onto.

The Classic Secrets of Magic by Bruce Elliot has great stuff in it. It has the Benson Bowl routine, which would show/teach some great sponge ball stuff.

Lots and lots of great sponge ball stuff is out there. The book that is $100 or $200 dollars is very rarely "the one".

Kent
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Frank's encyclopedia occassionally crops up on e-bay and even here in the for sale section. I've seen its price vary from as little as 80 bucks to as high as a couple of hundred, depending on who is selling and ho9w many interested.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Hello,

Bill Is Correct About The Laurie Ireland Book. Great Stuff!!

I Had The Garcia Encyclopedia For Quite A While And It Was A Good Resource But Not The Be All And End All.

Look For:

Professional Sponge Ball Tricks - Volumes I And II By Jon Jensen - Came Out Around 2000 And Distributed By Murphy's Magic. Not Sure If They Are OOP. But Check With Murphy's Anyway.

Also Check With Denny Haney At His Shop In Maryland. He Has A Tremendous Resource Of Books On Our Art. Also A Wonderful Person To Speak With. Extremely Experienced And Knowledgeable.

Ganson's Routined Manipulation Series Has A Sponge Routine.

And While I Favor A Good Book, Look Into The Patrick Page DVD On Sponge Balls.
Great Instuction And Good Material.

I Think Ganson's Books Are Still Available. If Not Denny Will Have A Copy I'm Sure.

Good Luck And If I Can Be Of Further Help Please Send Me A PM.

Best,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
Waoow I didn't expect to get this much of help!! thank you so much!
I have some money to spend right now so I will look for a bunch of those books Smile
Thanks again!
//Jesper
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I have to agree the Garcia Encyclopedia is a good resource but not the first book I'd recommend. With that said, there are a number of gems in there you will find quite resourceful - if your willing to spend the money.

I agree with the above comments and recommend 'The Sponge Book' by Laurie Ireland.

It's a good book.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Sponge Book is only $8.00 at Magic, Inc.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
But this Magic inc. what is the adress of that site?
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
Found it Smile thanks anyway!
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
So when we already are talking about shoping! what are the best dealers for magic books?
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
My favorite is H & R Magic Books. I would also try Amazon (depending on what your looking for).
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you know who the publisher of a book is, check with them first. Magic, Inc. publishes The Sponge Book. After that, check H&R, Hocus Pocus, Stevens Magic Emporium, Viking. Also check the used book section of the forum.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
How about Byron Walker and John Greget? If you belong to the Magic Castle you would probably find all the books in the library there.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Byron is a good source. John Greget doesn't have a web site, so it's difficult to order books from him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I have two copies of "The Sponge Book". The newer one is disjointed and missing some sections. I found it confusing to read. The older copy is complete and makes sense. Good little book.

I did not find the Garcia Encyclopedia that useful personally. Certainly not for the prices it is fetching these days.

The most useful resource when I was learning all those years ago was the "K.B. Sponge Routine" in Ken Brooke's Magic The Unique Years. I never used the full routine but everything you need to know is there along with the little touches that make the difference.
Nosslrak
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Nosslrak
Bill, when you say "Laurie Ireland", don't you mean Frances Ireland Marshall?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Before the encyclopedia, Gene Gordon published a little booklet of Frank Garcia's sponge ball magic. It has some excellent sponge magic in it.

It is called Garcia's Sponge Balls and published now by Magic Inc. $5.95

http://www.magicinc.net/garciasspongeballs.aspx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cant find the books about sponges? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL