The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Communion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Due in part to my laziness, but also the fruitless search feature on the Café, I come to you with these questions. I hope you can help.

I have booked a show for a religious event. (Communion)
I am not a religious person myself, but I am not opposed to including a mild religious theme to a trick or two in my show...in order to enhance the celebration of this special event.

Can anybody provide...or point me in the direction of a resource where I can find some mild religious presentations. (By mild I mean a light/positive religious overtone.)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Just because it is a religious event doesn't mean you need to add a religious trick to your repertoire. Especially if you yourself are not religious.
At best it would come off looking trite, at worst hypocritical.
Do the show you were hired to perform unless you were asked specifically to put a religious trick into it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Just to clarify, is this a First Holy Communion party for a child? Where is your show and who is the audience? Some of these details will help people answer your question. Best of luck, Jeff
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Nah I don't really find it trite or hypocritical. It is an act after all. I find it on par celebrating a birthday with a birthday themed effect. I understand it is not necessary...but I think it would be nice. Hence the request for something "light."
I was not asked specifically.....but it was definitely hinted at.

It is a first holy communion...after party kind of thing with friends and family in a private room at a restaurant.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have done many, many of these Holy Communion parties. Keep in mind that they just sat throught a long religious service and they are ready to party. I AM religious and have never felt it was the right place to tie in this kind of a message. I simply do my birthday party show and change the maic words "Happy Birthday Johnny" to "God Bless Johnny."
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Mark this day down on your calendars because I whole heartedly agree with Payne. If you are not religious then you don't need to add anything religious to your program. If all they want is entertainment, just give them that. I can't believe that someone actually books entertainment for a communion event anyhow...trust me, they're not looking for anything spiritual...just fun.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Quote:
On 2008-02-14 06:53, Ken Northridge wrote:
I have done many, many of these Holy Communion parties. Keep in mind that they just sat throught a long religious service and they are ready to party. I AM religious and have never felt it was the right place to tie in this kind of a message. I simply do my birthday party show and change the maic words "Happy Birthday Johnny" to "God Bless Johnny."

This is kind of what the lady was asking me to do, and what I felt uncomfortable with.
In lieu of repeating God Bless Johny Several times in the show....which to me just sounds a bit...heavy, (I can't even imagine a prest saying this over and over again with out it seeming strange) Smile I was hoping to do a trick with a nice moral or something.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
You could do Professors nightmare and talk about how we may be all different some short, some tall, some skinny, some not so skinny, but in God's eyes He loves us all the same...show three ropes all the same length.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2008-02-14 11:18, toomuchmagic wrote:
(I can't even imagine a prest saying this over and over again with out it seeming strange)

You don't go to church much, do you ... 8>)

Quote:
Smile I was hoping to do a trick with a nice moral or something.

You can take almost any routine and glue a moral theme to it. But that's what it's going to look like.

Relax - they hired _you_, not your impression of a minister. Do what you do. I'd suspect the parents were just trying to keep this in an "appropriate" format by suggesting whatever they might think of - hey, it's a religious event so let's not get too carried away. But it _is_ a party after a very religious event.

If you think they might want something specific and be upset if you didn't provide it, then discuss it with them until you are satisfied with the outcome. Never be afraid to get as much detail as you think you might need.

Ed
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Quote:
On 2008-02-14 07:50, Terry Owens wrote:
Mark this day down on your calendars because I whole heartedly agree with Payne. If you are not religious then you don't need to add anything religious to your program. If all they want is entertainment, just give them that. I can't believe that someone actually books entertainment for a communion event anyhow...trust me, they're not looking for anything spiritual...just fun.

I agree, give them entertainment. There is no need to add a "religous" effect to your show. Especially if your not "religous" yourself.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Thus is the plague of the Café. Ask a simple question...get tons of response...yet no answers.

I would like to retract my original post and replace it with this instead.

Could some one please provide me or point me in the direction of a nice routine with a very mild religious/positive/moral theme.

Thanks.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
I believe Terry already suggested a very mild religious/positive/moral routine that should meet your needs.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Thanks Joe. Amidst the rest of the stuff I totally missed that.

that's great terry....anyone else have anything.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
You could use Jack Pot Bags. We all make choices in life some good some better some not so good.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
I think all you have to do is perform for the children and make it clear that you are performing for them because it's their special day (of course parents would be watching to, but make it more of a childrens show). I think that's good enough.

Good luck,
Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Mike Ammar has a great trick with a moral, the 41 cents trick. It's more close up but plays well. If you google it, you'll find enough of a description to create a simple method. Rather than small coins, you might try jumbo coins and a change bag to produce candy at the end. Hope this helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Communion (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL