The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Derren Brown's 10 card poker deal. Is it available? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
There is a demo of Derren Brown's version of the 10 card poker deal at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Sy3TUsx8I
Is this available? If so, where?
Thanks.
Richard
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
I doubt much of Derren's material is available as he performs it; likewise with the 10CPD.

However, it looks like the usual principle involved in most routines of this type, with his own subtleties and sequencing put in to ensure the spectator gets what they "need" to get.

If he did what I thought he did, I then especially liked how he handled the very first selection between 2 cards - a very Maven-esque move.

Ortiz's routine is pretty strong as well.
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
This is, at heart, a standard 10 card poker deal.
It's got a few subtleties added, but nothing I'd call "exclusive" to Derren.

I'm a fan of Derren's, so don't take this the wrong way.....but I've seen quite a few 10 card poker deals demonstrated by experienced magi that use similar subtleties.

What this clip really shows is that the 10 Card Poker Deal remains a powerful piece of work in capable hands Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I love the 10 card Poker deal. One in particular that I have been enjoying recently is Jack Parker's "Ouroboros."
ChrisK
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ChrisK
Most of Derren's effects, are based very much on principles that most magicians are familiar with. What he does is he comes up with variations of principles and methods and tweaks them slightly for his own purposes. You can see this in many of his other effects, this is no exception.

And hey, why copy Derren Brown? Be your own man! It's just, as like the others have mentioned, a normal, standard poker deal added with an infusion of Derren and a spread of Brown.
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Yes, Brown adds some nice subtleties. I was particularly interested in the card shuffles by the spectators in his routine. Colombini has a nice TCPD (Tested Ten Card Poker Deal - dvd) in which the spectator also shuffles the cards (for the finale) but the presentation after the shuffle is a bit different from what happens in Brown's routine. Also, Scott Guinn adds some nice touches to the TCPD in his, "The World's Worst Card Player!" I had been using Lorayne's reliable TCPD for many, many years but just switched to a variation of Colombini's routine. I thought perhaps Brown might have something out there regarding his thoughts about the TCPD - would be a kick to read/hear since he is such a wonderful creator of and thinker about magic.
Richard
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
He used magician's choice for the first phase.

In the second and third phase, he dealt first cards and then he started free choice by the spectator.

QH appears as the last card in spectator's hand always.

I am curious to know What is Derren Brown's subtlety in this performance.

Hideo Kato
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
That's the same thing I was wondering Kato-san!
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
I am interested in Brown's ideas regarding the routine rather than the method. Brown seemed to focus on how the spectator's behavior and signals, and Brown's ability to "control" behavior influenced the outcome, especially since the spectator shuffled twice. Brown's emphasis may have provided a diversion from a hard focus on the cards and also changed the focus from a demonstration of skill with cards to a skill with "reading" and controlling behavior. Some of Brown's comments relevant to this point: "Aware of your signals....," "You're alternating...," and "I can influence you...." The overall theme of a focus on behavior could easily be adapted to different styles.
Richard
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Quote:
On 2008-02-15 04:34, doowopper wrote:
I am interested in Brown's ideas regarding the routine rather than the method. Brown seemed to focus on how the spectator's behavior and signals, and Brown's ability to "control" behavior influenced the outcome, especially since the spectator shuffled twice. Brown's emphasis may have provided a diversion from a hard focus on the cards and also changed the focus from a demonstration of skill with cards to a skill with "reading" and controlling behavior. Some of Brown's comments relevant to this point: "Aware of your signals....," "You're alternating...," and "I can influence you...." The overall theme of a focus on behavior could easily be adapted to different styles.
Richard

Richard:
Manipulating people's actions is a common presentational theme of Derren's - you'll see that in most of his work. I think you're right that it tends to keep people off the true method.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I agree Mr.Derren Brown's presentational skill is superb. But I believe a good presentation can be fully effective when combound with a good method.

Even if he had spectator shuffle the cards, he always saw faces of the cards. He does not need to see any cards as he always have the Jonah on top of the packet. Seeing faces surely decrease the effect, IMHO.

Hideo Kato
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Hideo Kato makes a good point that perhaps seeing the face of the cards is unnecessary in a TCPD. However, in Derren's routine, having the face of most of the cards visible most of the time perhaps deemphasizes for the spectator the possibility of card manipulation and emphasizes the alleged unobtrusive process of controlling the behavior of the spectator and picking up behavioral cues from him - perhaps another example of how Derren takes the heat off the cards.
Richard
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just watched Derren's presentation. Forgive me, guys, but it is nowhere as good as my original routine that I published way back 1n the 1960s. As a matter of fact, I could write a long article as to what's wrong with it. Hideo touched on some of it. It's best to occasionally tell the spectator to table ONLY his best cards - his pair, or two pairs, or three of a kind, or whatever. Why have the Jonah card visible to everyone every hand? Also, my routine STRESSES the spectator shuffling. There's no "climax" to his routine. Check out mine to see an "ending," and one which allows the spectator to shuffle THOROUGHLY, which enforces, sets, the idea of him shuffling throughout. You might want to read my re-write of the routine in THE CLASSIC COLLECTION. Sorry, but there's really no comparison. Just my opinion, folks. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Derren Brown's 10 card poker deal. Is it available? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL