The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bermuda Triangle (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Not too long ago, I can recall reading an effect that involved the Bermuda Triangle. The effect involved making a triangle out of items (shells/rocks) and the sum total of the shells on each side stayed the same, even when more and more were added.

Where did I read this? My mind seems to be failing me...
What is the color of magic?
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Okay. . . I know this. . . ummmm. . . is it in Pentalogy? I'll have to look it up when I'm home.
What would Wavy do?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
How come people and planes don't go missing in the bermuda triangle anymore?

I think the effect is in automata?!
I've asked to be banned
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities" pg 15

Could that be what you're looking for?
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I believe this is "The Bermuda Runes" by Peter Marucci from his " Bizarre Bazaar" column from Online Visions: http://www.online-visions.com/bizarre/0511bermuda-runes.html

Paul
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Yes, the version abraxus and I read from Shane comes from that, Illusioneer.
What would Wavy do?
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Marucci's effect is, indeed, the effect I was looking for, but I read it somewhere else. I think it may have been from one of Shane's books, via an "online preview". Thanks for your help.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
For the historians: Will Blithe's 'Money Magic'; "The Stolen Tarts", 1926.

You might have read this one in the early years of Magic Magazine. Bob Farmer had a presentation for it that utilized The Bermuda Triangle as a theme.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
As a presentational idea, Google for a picture of Dante's Hell. You'll notice the triangular shape of some of the pictures. So instead of ships disappearing in the triangle, I was thinking of souls that can not escape. You see, each circle of hell can only hold a limited number of souls, and any excess souls might, just might escape. So every time a new soul arrives, the others hope it'll provide them with a chance to escape. But strangely, the number of souls never changes. People say there's always hope, but in some places, there is none.......
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I have a version involving the Knights Templar in my book "The Holy Art: Bizarre Magick from Naljorpa's Cave." It was inspired by Shane's Bermuda Triangle routine.

Yannou, I like your idea of Dante's Hell.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Thank you Bill, I'm glad you like it. Very glad in fact. You see, I'm a total newbie when it comes to bizarre magic. Until recently, I've only done pure mentalism. The thing is, I never liked 'regular' magic. So a magician makes a coin vanish, or finds my card, but why? What's the point? What's he trying to say? To me, it's tricks for the sake of tricks, which I find pointless. With mentalism, I feel there is a framework that gives it meaning. And then I got a video of Eugene Burger. Card Warp doesn't do a thing for me, but The Inquisition! Jeff McBride doing the Mark Twain story! And his other stuff. I was like, wow, so this is what they call 'bizarre' magic? So I've been reading books like crazy the last 2 or 3 months - The Practitioner, Spirit Theatre, Mystery school, I've got Hauntiques to read and more. I think I finally found what I was missing with mentalism. You see, with mentalism I have a hard time coming up with things of my own, that feel like me and not a Banachek/ Cassidy/ Maven etc clone. With bizarre magic, well, I still need a hint, but when I saw the triangle effect this immediately occured to me. I don't know it it's original and I don't care, because I know I came up with it myself and it feels like me when I perform it. And after reading The Practioner, I came up with a routine with the Afghan Bands that actually got someone I showed it to crying because she felt it was such a touching story. Nothing like that ever happens when I do mentalism. And I feel there's more where that came from. In short, I feel like I found a home in the bizarre.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Welcome aboard, Yannou! I like your thinking.

I've been playing around with the triangle effect a bit. I found a few nice old illustrations of Dante's Hell...
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/ar......44-m.gif
http://www.gpc.edu/~shale/mapping_files/helm.gif
http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/dante/images/full1kw.jpg (my favorite)
Tonight I will try this version of the effect and see how it goes. It would be nice to have a bunch (30 or so) of tiny skulls. I'll stick with the Bermuda Triangle version for the younger ones (kids).
MikeCS
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MikeCS
Well, I know a version is definately in Pentalogy
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 16:39, Dr Mage wrote:
Welcome aboard, Yannou! I like your thinking.

I've been playing around with the triangle effect a bit. I found a few nice old illustrations of Dante's Hell...
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/ar......44-m.gif
http://www.gpc.edu/~shale/mapping_files/helm.gif
http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/dante/images/full1kw.jpg (my favorite)
Tonight I will try this version of the effect and see how it goes. It would be nice to have a bunch (30 or so) of tiny skulls. I'll stick with the Bermuda Triangle version for the younger ones (kids).

Check import stores. It seems to me I've seen malas made of tiny skulls.
What would Wavy do?
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
I like your thinking on presentation Yanou. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the board.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Resurrecting this 10-year old thread to say I performed the Bermuda Runes (Marucci) with decorative stones (really glass beads) yesterday for an office party and they were wildly enthusiastic trying to figure out where that extra stone went.

It's one of my favorite pieces that I seldom perform outside of my circle of friends and family ... but the response I got yesterday only validate that this is truly an entertaining piece and plays strong for all.

Oscar
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Pentology pg 17. Great routine from a great book.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
It’s my favorite effect from Pentology. And my favorite patter for the effect.
Bob
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Martin Mercy now markets a version of the Bermuda Triangle effect, with more than 30 foreign coins representing the ships and with both written and DVD instructions. See his site, mercy me magic.

George
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I’ve been using black rocks, the kind you might find on a beach.
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bermuda Triangle (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL