The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2008 entrée: Jay Sankey » » Back In Time » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Hi Jay, thanks so much for coming by the Café for questions.

I was hoping I could get your thoughts on a problem I have with Back In Time. I think this is really one of your best tricks. Probably a close second to Paperclipped. I really love it THAT much.

My problem, though, is that when I reveal the deck to have changed back to normal at the end, the audience gets just a bit ahead of me and turns their card over. I'd really like the effect of "restoring" the deck, then hitting them with a "go ahead and turn over that seven of clubs in your hand" kinda moment. That seems to be how you perform it and it's very powerful.

Psychologically, what do you think I could be doing wrong? Do you have any pointers you can give on this exact moment of the effect?

Thanks again! And thank you for Back In Time! I think this is one of the most underrated effects in all of card magic. I really really do. It is just sooooo strong Smile
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
Hopefully, Jay will have time to answer you. But, if I recall, he covers that issue on the video. Simply make sure they watch the deck because that is where the magic will happen.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Here's my input. ... Not to step on Jay's toes Smile

I performed this two nights ago. Your problem hasn't been an issue for me, I tend to show the card, I say "now be honest with me, the X of X, was that your card?", do the double, hand it to them and then basically forget about it and put all emphasis onto the deck.

If they're concentrating on the deck (and I make a BIG issue of spreading and emphasising "every single card" has turned over) they're just not thinking about the card in their hand.

I wait a beat, and then use Jay's line "back to when you were HOLDING your card".

Super powerful.
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
I would really like to hear Jay's take on this also. I too love "Back In Time"!

The way I keep the spectator from turning the card over too soon is when returning the card I say, "Now hold the card like this real close to the deck. We're going to use it like a magic wand. Give the card a little shake over the deck." I then begin to spread the deck under the card they are holding as though they are helping to create the magic.

As I go through the deck if I see them begin to back the card their holding away from the deck I'll say, "Please keep waving the card over the deck we almost have them all."

Okay...same trick different moment- Another suggestion is after showing the entire deck now face down simply say, "As you can now see the entire deck has righted themselves. We are now back to the beginning of the trick when I asked you to return your card back to the deck."

I then say nothing. I don't tell them to look at the card they are holding. Sometimes it takes a while for them to do so but eventually they will decide to turn over the card they are holding. If necessary to help encourage them to do so I'll simply stare at their hand holding the card.

For those of you that perform "Back In Time" you know the reaction is priceless when they discover the card they have been holding is their signed card. I strongly suggest you say nothing at this point as well. In good old Paul Harris style don't laugh or respond in anyway. I feel especially during walk around this routine makes a great closer. When using "Back In Time" at the end of a set I'll simply walk away.

BTW: If you are not aware of Jay's "Carbon Copy" routine (I believe it is in Secret Files) it is amazing as well. I use it a ton. Like "Back In Time" it kills!

Kevin
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
The way I solved them not looking is I say "we will use this card as a "time wand"..please wave it over the deck." Then I show the deck restored.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2008 entrée: Jay Sankey » » Back In Time » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL