The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Does anybody use magic for evangelism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
The subject is pretty much my question. I was wondering if anyone has had success "on the street" using magic to open an opportunity for the gospel? And if so what do you do?
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I use magic for evangelism...for 28 years now.

Here's a good bit to use on the street...color changing knives. Black and white set...no matter where you try to hide your sin, it keeps showing back up, that's why it's important to place your sins in the hands of Jesus and He will cleanse you and make you whole.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I do. Right now that's really what my "gospel magic" is. I do magic on the streets and then hand out tracts or share the gospel after my magic bit. Works great and is a great way to reach out to the community.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Go gett'em Ethan...
FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
Excuse me if this sounds cynical, but is this it? Of all the Christians doing magic, there are two that use it as an opening to reach the lost? I am sorry, but I think we are a chruch that is painfully asleep! Has church become a place to entertain the saved while the lost perish?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
FriarShaun:

It would be possible to take what you said as a very judgmental and offensive conclusion.

I could read that because I do not use my magic to reach people, I am asleep. I could read that because I do not go out onto the streets or into teeming crowds, I am asleep. I could read that any of my efforts to simply reach those within arm’s reach in my every-day life are not measuring up to some standard.

As you said in another post, we are a “universal” church, comprised of many different members. Sounds just like the body Paul described, doesn’t it? You know the reference, I’m sure - the one where not every part of the body functions like the other parts, yet all are a part of the same body?

I understand your frustration. I have done everything from set up healing crusades in apartment complexes to preaching on the street corner to going door to door to twisting balloons to gather a crowd. I’m not at a place where I am doing those things now, but that’s not to say I will never do them again.

It’s also not to say that I am not actively trying to reach those who are lost.

As far as simply “entertaining” the church - do you realize that Luke 4:16-19 (Jesus reading from Isaiah in His “opening salvo”) was spoken to the poor, brokenhearted, captive, lost, blind and oppressed who were sitting in church?

I wish God’s blessings on you for all you do. Please do not look down on what I do because it doesn’t look like what you do?

Ed
FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
Ed, I am sure that it is possible to take everything I say as offensive and judgemental. I have no idea who you are or what you do, so it may be a stretch to take my post as an attack.

What I was trying to express is my feeling that there is a general selfishness in the church as a whole. We spend more on Christian entertainment, clothing, music, posters, and home decoration, than we do on completing the great commission.

Everyone has been gifted with something, music, athletics, intelligence, etc. And some of us have been tweaked with an interest in magic, balloons, juggling, and stupid humor. What we do with our giftings is important for Christians because we have been commissioned and bought with a price.

My intent was not to judge you personally for what you do. I was just shocked that so few say they use there twisted gift for reaching the lost. By the way, you say that you do reach those within arm's reach. That is great! My exhortation is that this medium is intended to impact people. We don't just do this for ourselves, why not use it as an opportunity to connect with those who need salvation.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Yes! I use magic for evangelism on the streets.

But at the beginning on my shows, after I have drawn a crowd and already done an effect, I tell them the we are going to have some fun, do some magic, and even talk about God. But if they are offended by God, then they probably shouldn't stay. But they shouldn't worry if they don't believe in God, because He believes I them.

In other words I am careful not to blindside them with the Gospel.

And not every effect I do has a Gospel message. I do as I told people and we have fun, do some magic, and talk about God.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
[quote]
On 2008-02-23 11:06, FriarShaun wrote:
Ed, I am sure that it is possible to take everything I say as offensive and judgemental. I have no idea who you are or what you do, so it may be a stretch to take my post as an attack.
[\quote]

Sorry if my defenses were showing!! I have a church background that includes an extremely evangelistic congregation. I tried to fit in by doing everything they were doing, but it was the square peg in a round hole effect. 8>) Not to say I didn't enjoy reaching others, but to many of them, if you weren't consumed every waking moment by a passion for the lost - meaning everyone on the streets and the far corners of the earth - you just didn't have what they had.

I now understand that my gifts and callings are not for the streets in general - my arena is more for the lost in my church and for those I contact every day at work and at home. But I still cringe sometimes when I hear/read something that strikes me like "You don't feel this way? What's wrong with you?"

[quote]
What I was trying to express is my feeling that there is a general selfishness in the church as a whole. We spend more on Christian entertainment, clothing, music, posters, and home decoration, than we do on completing the great commission.
[\quote]

No arguement there! But then, people will spend their life and their money on what really interests their heart. My wife and I make quilts - actually, she makes quilts and I help a bit. I spend money on quilt stuff because I want to join with her heart. People who spend their life inside their own heart do not have a heart after Jesus. I wouldn't expect them to witness - they have no heart to give nothing in their heart to give.

Quote:
My exhortation is that this medium is intended to impact people. We don't just do this for ourselves, why not use it as an opportunity to connect with those who need salvation.

I have used magic before, mostly in Children's Church. I had a few magic outreaches planned, but none of them came together. Right now, though, I'm working at putting together a parlor / small stage show that will not have any evangelistic intent or impact at all. It's purely an enjoyable hobby taken to a level of paid performance. Very little of what I do is close-up, and I have little confidence in any close-up I do, so I choose not to use magic in that way. That may change later, but not in the forseeable future.

Ed
FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
Sounds awesome Ed. We use our gifts to the glory of God. He gave them and we give them back.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
You bet I use it in evangelism. I'd feel like I'm wasting my gifts if I didn't use it for that purpose. I also use it to entertain people. Not every effect has a gospel message attached to it. But it's one of the best ice breakers I've found.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Heres a nice resource for tracts and evangelism resources.

http://www.livingwaters.com/Merchant2/me......OTM-HOME
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Quote:
On 2008-02-22 01:16, FriarShaun wrote:
Excuse me if this sounds cynical, but is this it? Of all the Christians doing magic, there are two that use it as an opening to reach the lost? I am sorry, but I think we are a chruch that is painfully asleep! Has church become a place to entertain the saved while the lost perish?

It only takes 4 days to get cynical?
I only found this thread today. I guess I've been one of the accused "painfully asleep".

Yes, I have several routines I use all the time for reaching the unsaved. Routines that are as gentle as saying you need God in your life, ones that are more specific like sharing the basic gospel that Jesus died for our sins, etc.

Well, it's bed time now.
Good night,
Kipp Sherry

Day 2
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I use magic and juggling to attract attention and then use the EvangeCube to witness. There is nothing wrong with using the talents and skills God gave you you do this. As a matter of fact, that's why we have these talents and skills.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Does anybody use magic for evangelism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL