The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is Mark Wilson's Complete Course the best place to start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Mark Wilson's Course is the way to go. Very well written with excellent graphics.
Worth 10 times the price.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Have to agree with many here, Mark Wilson's a very good source to start.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Shane Lawson
View Profile
New user
West Virginia
10 Posts

Profile of Shane Lawson
I also keep referring back to Mark Wilson's books, and I still incorporate them into my acts, even though I have "bigger" tricks tucked away in my bag, so to speak.
~Shane.
<BR>
<BR>“Logic only gives man what he needs...Magic gives him what he wants."
<BR>~Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
<BR> - Benjamin Disraeli
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
I highly recommend this book. It really does have a little bit of everything, and I STILL catch myself using it as a reference when creating new effects. It's such a great way to start.

Two thumbs up and a nudge to purchase it. Smile
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
CloaknDagger
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
13 Posts

Profile of CloaknDagger
I've just purchased Mark Wilson's after borrowing it from the library too many times to mention and I've had a lot of great reactions from the effects within. It gives you a really broad range. I'm looking forward to constructing some of the larger illusions in it as a project too Smile. I've found the advice within it on presentation to be absolutely fine, although I haven't read the 'Dummies'.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Sorry to post this here but not having much luck anywhere else. You know the effect Multiply your Money in Mark Wilson? How do you perform that in a real closeup steup? I mean how do you do the "setup" when people are watching?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Have you tried emailing that question to mark@markwilsonmagic.com it might take a bit , but you probably would get an answer straight from the horses mouth. As I recall Mark always did that one as a stage standup.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Well I though that so many of you are a fan of this book that I would get the answer here? Or does nobody like that effect in the book
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

It is a very good effect, I've done it myself many times. And it is not particularly new or original to Mark, several methods including one used by Fred Kapps. My Uncle Harry Blackstone Sr even did a version in his act. Mark, Fred, Uncle Harry, and I all did it as a stand-up. But it could be used close up. If reset you mean to be able to do again for the same folks, don't do it. I you mean like you are table hopping at a restaurant, easiest way, make more than one set. It doesn't cost that much compared buying a trick from a magic supply house.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
"make more than one set" ? I'm not sure we talking about the same effect here.
ok Magically Multiply Your Money P181 of Mark Wilsons CCIM.
It tells how to setup the effect using normal coins, but does not tell how you do the setup without anyone seeing?

Or do you stand behind a curtain, setup the effect then walk out from the curtain with the effect ready? or do you turn around and set it up? you see I'm very confused here lol
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Sorry, you are right, we are talking about different effects. I'd still recommend contacting Mark at the email I gave above, he would be the one who could best answer that for you.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2008-08-04 07:23, Owen Thomas wrote:
Sorry to post this here but not having much luck anywhere else. You know the effect Multiply your Money in Mark Wilson? How do you perform that in a real closeup steup? I mean how do you do the "setup" when people are watching?

If you performed this sitting down at a table, you could reach into your pocket to get the nickel and get the other coins at the same time. You could then set up the coins below the level of the tabletop and bring them up into the spectator's view all set up. Of course you couldn't have anyone sitting on the same side of the table as yourself.

You would probably want to do this close-up anyway, since you have to keep your hand at the specs' eyelevel.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Maybe you could start a separate thread for further discussion about this effect?
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 14:53, Topov wrote:
Maybe you could start a separate thread for further discussion about this effect?

If Owen Thomas, who originally asked the question, wants to, that would be fine with me.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Well with all due respect, I posted the original thread, and I'd want you to Smile

I'd make the polite observation that the most recent discussion has drifted far beyond my original post, and kindly request that the discussion on a particular effect be posted in a separate thread - I'm getting tired of receiving email notification every time there's additional discussion on a tangental point entirely irrelevant to my original post. Thanks for you consideration! Smile
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 21:36, Topov wrote:
Well with all due respect, I posted the original thread, and I'd want you to Smile

I'd make the polite observation that the most recent discussion has drifted far beyond my original post, and kindly request that the discussion on a particular effect be posted in a separate thread - I'm getting tired of receiving email notification every time there's additional discussion on a tangental point entirely irrelevant to my original post. Thanks for you consideration! Smile

I'm sorry -- what I meant was, I have said all I have to say on the question Owen asked about, unless he wants to talk some more about it, in which case I agree with you that we should do that on some other thread, not here, since, as you say, we have drifted away from the topic of your original post. Smile
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Ok here a thread we can discuss in , Multiply your Money by Mark Wilson Help. (coin section)
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I think the Mark Wilson course is a great addition to any book collection. It was the second book I owned, and though I learned a lot of sleights and tricks reading it, I remember being starved for presentation ideas, and just knowing how to conduct myself. I didn't get to see magicians much (actually only on TV from time to time, and no VCRs in those days). My first book was Bill Tarr's "Now you see it, Now you don't". Another great choice.
Sammy J. Teague
ryan8406
View Profile
New user
Elkton, Maryland
88 Posts

Profile of ryan8406
You can't go wrong starting with Mark Wilson's complete course.
NateReeves
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of NateReeves
I started out with Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic which is smaller (in length and width, it still is very thick) so if you don't have anywhere to put a giant book, you could consider that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is Mark Wilson's Complete Course the best place to start? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL