The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » John Bannon - The Royal Scam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
After buying 3 sets of these, I did exactly what DStachowiak suggests.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
paulyjr
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of paulyjr
Ok. So I can't just get the actual cards then.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm pretty sure Williams Magic, here in Tucson sells packets of 5 cards of the same rank and suit if you need to replace certain ones. Check their website and email them if you can't find it there.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
paulyjr
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of paulyjr
Actualy the cards are not available according to Bannon. one alternative would be to use 10 spades from different decks, reversing the initial set up if that makes sense.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Additionally, why not use 4 red cards and adjust your patter that if you cheat, you do not want to get caught red handed ( show backs)?And atleast deal yourself a hand guarnateed to make you the money.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
This like all of John's stuff is terrific, however, I don't see where the backround music adds anything and frankly I found it distracting when I'm trying to learn and concentrate on what he's saying. In addition, I thought his instruction was abit hasty re: the setup and some of the moves. Nor did I like him switching from the Hammond Count to the Glide method and then back again during the teaching phase. Since I use the Hamman count, this interlude was just a confusing unwarranted interruption in the learning process. To me it would have been more effective to include it as a seperate subchapter. There's plenty of room on the DVD to teach it both ways start to finish. I know this sounds like I don't care for the DVD which is not true at all. I think it's terrific. I've been doing the Sympathetic Cards for years, which Bannon credits on the DVD. I love it, it gets great reactions, and I've never seen anyone else do it. Bring on Cardzilla!
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
My apologies to Brother John for spelling his name two different ways in my other post. It's Hamman, not Hammond.I like Paul Hallas's idea about using alphabet cards to spell my name at the end. Got to go dig up that Bicycle alphabet deck! He's also correct about using the Biddle steal to show additional Aces at the beginning, if you so desire. I haven't worked yet on how to deal with the 8 versus 9 discrepancy, if you do this. I'm sure there's a way as long as it doesn't get too complicated or "movey".
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
I just started doing this and WOW it is GREAT!!!!!!
I love when the spectators start twisting the cards while examining them, always fun. Smile
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
John Bannon
View Profile
V.I.P.
152 Posts

Profile of John Bannon
For those who have been asking:

The Dear Mr. Fantasy reprint is at the printers and I expect delivery in mid-November. This second printing is in dust-jacketed hardcover, just like the first printing. The price is the same, too.

The third of the Fractal Card Magic series, Spin Doctor, will also be available in November. Why twist when you can spin?

My website will now accept pre-orders for both of these products, if you are so inclined.

I've also added a downloadable. A self-working trick that will fool your significant other.

Thanks for your interest and support.

John
"And although this art is so wonderful, still it is held in no honor . . . The reasons are various, it seems to me; first, the art is concerned with useless matters; second, it is practiced by men of low degree."

G. Cardano on card tricks, De Subtilitate, 1554

www.johnbannonmagic.com
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
I much prefer the Hamman count to the glide; the latter looks unnatural to me.

As far as the Hamman count is concerned, I was privileged to learn it many years ago from Ken Brooke in London. Two pieces of advice have stayed with me since then: (1) the hand from which you count the cards shouldn't move at all; and (2) the secret to a good Hamman count is a light-light-light touch. You obviously don´t want to drop the cards but hold them in the Biddle grip as lightly/gently as you can.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
I too have been working on the Hamman count, and while I don't consider myself adept at it yet, I do believe if done well, it is more natural and logical than the glide.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
These are the kind of threads that make the Café worthwhile! Thanks...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Gasman
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Gasman
I've found there is no substitute for a real evenly timed count for an effective Hammon count, but your patter and eye contact can provide just enough (mis)direction to get by the one little hesitation that can occur without anyone noticing. The count is also nicely taught on Bannons wild card routine "Call of the Wild" and in Ron Bauer's pamphlet on the Gypsy Curse Effect (his web site http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com (if I remember right) has a nice video of how it looks performed correctly.
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
I purchased this item a few months ago, I like the effect, but I do not like the qualitly of the video. Having the music play in the background while watching the instructional portion of the video is very distracting. There are time when it is very hard to understand John Bannons directions, another problem is the lighting, filming with an open window in the back ground make it hard to see what is being done.
Loggerhead
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Loggerhead
Excellent effect.... Learn, then practice the Hamman count. Its all in fluidness of motion. I learned it by doing rhythm counting with my movements.
HJE - Walker, Minnesota
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » John Bannon - The Royal Scam (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL