The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Thirteen by J B Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I have been playing with this and showing it around.. As obvious as it may be to us.. I am fooling people left and right with it.

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hank Lee has a demo video -
http://www.hanklee.org/quicktime_movies/thirteen.mov

Well, I must say the method is not obvious to me.. Well, that's just me.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 17:55, Top Hat wrote:
Why, oh why, oh why is ANYBODY prepared to pay £18 for a trick whose method is so obvious from one single viewing of Mark Mason's demo?...[W]ith magicians who like this effect: you have got to be kidding if you can't see how this trick is done.

I watched the demo three times and I have no idea how its done. If somebody showed me the invisible deck, I could say the method is obvious from a single viewing, but that's irrelevant, isn't it???

Looks like a real fooler to me.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've watched it a couple of times and don't have a clue how it's done.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2008-04-06 22:05, evolve629 wrote:
Hank Lee has a demo video -
http://www.hanklee.org/quicktime_movies/thirteen.mov

Well, I must say the method is not obvious to me.. Well, that's just me.

Are there any video clip versions that will play on Widows Media Player? I don't wish to install Quicktime Player or RealMedia Player on my computer. Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Yes, JB's own site has an embedded demo.
norman
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of norman
I feel sure I have worked out how the trick is done after studying the Demo very closely. I love the trick, but would I be correct in assuming that you would have to wear a JACKET, and would find it difficult wearing a shirt and siting on a chair, or is there another way. Replies Please.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2008-04-07 08:04, Daniel Lander wrote:
Yes, JB's own site has an embedded demo.

Thanks, Daniel.

I went to the site and viewed the video.

I like the effect a lot. Maybe not enough to cause me to now carry the two required decks, but,..I like the effect a lot. Nothing against the effect per se. Rather, I just remember my beginning magic days when I became a "trick deck monkey" and had to carry 6 or 7 different decks to do 6-7 different effects. I don't want to go back to those days, but,...this effect might make me "break the rule" in this one instance. (grin) If the effect can be performed with both decks in plains sight on the table from the beginning, the urge to buy becomes even more compelling.

Thanks again for the URL link.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
altrez
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
218 Posts

Profile of altrez
I like the looks of this effect. It fooled me but that is not really saying much. My Nine year old daughter fooled me with a classic force and a key card yesterday Smile

-Altrez
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
I have to agree the method is obvious to magicians, well some anyway based on the post here, but will go right pass a layman.

There are ways to hide the concern that some people have a problem with for their magician friends but the reset would not be as clean.

Norman - it better if you are wearing a jacket.

Turk - Only one deck is used for the effect. I am not giving anything away here as it is in JB's own ad or advert for our english friends.
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2008-04-07 20:17, magico wrote:
Turk - Only one deck is used for the effect. I am not giving anything away here as it is in JB's own ad or advert for our english friends.

Wow, I never noticed that on their website before, and that reveal is a whopper of a giveaway.

I'd actually PM'ed you, Mike, regarding your multi-deck concerns; but there it all is on JB's website Smile .
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks for the info, Magico and Daniel.

Wow! I never suspected only one deck. I always try to watch a video demo "through the eyes of a layman" and not try to guess the method. I was just watching and enjoying the premise and, when he came back out with the "2nd deck". I just took him at his word and said to myself: "WOW! That is a great double deck prediction effect." I never tried to reconstruct the method nor did I watch the demo more than once.

Maybe, I've got to start watching these demos a little bit more critically. (grin) Thanks again for the info.

Mike

That said, I still don't like the logistic requirement of even carrying one "special" deck. My concession to trick decks seems to be to carry a few DFs and DBs and add them in and take them out of my regular deck(s) "as needed".

I have taken to carrying a memorized deck as an extra but even that is grating on me; I am diligently working at ultimately being able to carry it as my regular deck (if you know what I mean).

Maybe, I've got to quit my stringent "purist" requirements. I know that there are some really great effects out there that require their own gimmicked deck or their own deck set up.

Eschew obfuscation.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I'm proud most of you magicians have already figured this fantastic effect out and want to make that known to the rest of us magicians who have no clue how its done.

I have re-read the earlier posts on this topic and it is clear to me that this is not "obvious" to magicians, some of whom went on talking about multiple decks being used despite the fact there is only one deck. If it was so obvious before you knew it was one deck, why is that fact now a "whopper" of a giveaway???

Sometimes us magicians figure things out from demos. I just watched a demo for the new trick "Infallible" and figured it out the first time I saw it, but I wouldn't say the method is "obvious", nor does it make it a bad effect or one that is overpriced.

I think Thirteen is a great effect and worth the money. The fact that you may know how its done doesn't diminish the impact or quality of this effect.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Agreed . I watched the effect several times & have no clue how this is done. I don't perform for magicians so I will be picking this up real soon .
Tophatter
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Quote:
On 2008-04-08 04:06, tophatter wrote:
Agreed . I watched the effect several times & have no clue how this is done. I don't perform for magicians so I will be picking this up real soon .
Tophatter

Me too, and I am so glad I cant or try to work out demos. I think this as an effect is really really good and will kill. Also there is reason for ahving this 'Extra deck' its written on the deck!!

priced ok for an effect!

So to sum up - I Ashley Turner will be buying this and will be using it, providing it is not a complete let down!

Actually a little excited about it -
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hello friends,

It's very interesting to read who has deduced the method and who has not. If performed correctly this can amaze magicians as well as laymen.

Since someone asked, let me elaborate on my performance of "Thirteen":

I bring out 2 card cases and show both have a deck of cards inside; one says "Prediction" & the other "Thirteen".

"We will get to my Thirteen deck in a moment, but could you please take the cards out of the "Prediction" box and give it a cut."

While the spec opens the "Prediction" box the "Thirteen" box goes into my right pocket.

"Please cut those cards . . . great would you like to cut them again?"

Spec cuts the cards as often as they like.

"Choose any number from 1 to 52. 9 . . . do you want to change your mind or stay with 9?"

I slowly count 8 cards on the table face up and place the 9th card face down.

I put the rest of the cards in the "Prediction" box. The closed box is now in my right hand. I bring my left shoulder forward, reach into my left pocket with my empty hand as I reach into my right pocket for the "Thirteen" box with the "Prediction" box already in my right hand.

My right hand comes out of my right pocket holding BOTH boxes.

"Let me show you WHY I call these my "Thirteen" cards."

I put the "Prediction" box on the corner of the face down card on the table. I open the "Thirteen" box.

"Thirteen cards down you'll find my lucky card. Could you please count 13 cards face up onto the table."

The spec counts 13 cards face up on the table. I stop her on the 13th card so it will go face down.

"Please remember, you cut the cards to ANY location and you could have picked ANY number from these "Prediction" cards." As I point at the face down card on the table with the "Prediction" box covering the corner.

"And, don't forget, YOU counted thirteen cards to my LUCKY card."

I turn over the specs "Prediction" card and then my "Thirteen" card with great flare as I show they MATCH!!!!

The "Thirteen" cards now go back into their box and I put them away in my pocket.

The "Prediction" cards stay out, can be examined, and I might continue doing other card magic with those cards.

Thank you for reading this routine. I hope it makes sense and for those of you who know the method of "Thirteen", I think this routine hides the method very well.

all input is welcome,
Greg Rostami
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2008-04-08 03:50, tdowell wrote:
I'm proud most of you magicians have already figured this fantastic effect out and want to make that known to the rest of us magicians who have no clue how its done.

I have re-read the earlier posts on this topic and it is clear to me that this is not "obvious" to magicians, some of whom went on talking about multiple decks being used despite the fact there is only one deck. If it was so obvious before you knew it was one deck, why is that fact now a "whopper" of a giveaway???

Sometimes us magicians figure things out from demos. I just watched a demo for the new trick "Infallible" and figured it out the first time I saw it, but I wouldn't say the method is "obvious", nor does it make it a bad effect or one that is overpriced.

I think Thirteen is a great effect and worth the money. The fact that you may know how its done doesn't diminish the impact or quality of this effect.

Look, I really don't make the habit of posting a simple "nah nah nah nah nah nah...I know how you do it" posts; they're, (plainly), irritating to those who can't see it and somewhat alienates them, and the poster just comes off as rather smug, self-satisfied and a big-head.

I am normally useless at working out how tricks are done, but feel this demo was let down by the hokey way Mark Mason pocketed and retrieved the decks at the moment of the switch; I also tempered my first post by stating that I saw it but layman probably didn't. I accept this was still probably irritating to the those who didn't fathom the method, and the workers who didn't care even if they did. For that, I apologise.

The post where I described the admission of there being only deck - as pointed out by magico as being on JB Magic's own website - as a "whopper of a giveaway," I thought was actually a reasonable thing to say, seeing as how many possible method-scenarios it instantly precluded. Again, the statements tone was neither smug, self-satisfied, conceited or disdainful. I was genuinely surprised that that information was on JB's site, and genuinely believed it revealed too much as to the workings.

The only reason I made mention to the price was simply the associated sorts of tricks originating here in the UK - the sort of thing like Alakazam's The Grail or Knock 'Em Dead costing around the £12 or £13 mark. That was my, admittedly, simple comparison point.

Yes, of course this can be a strong effect. For the record, I never said knowing how it's done diminished the impact of a trick. Nor was I the one who revealed that only one deck was used - I would have kept that to myself.
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Greg, I think it's a great routine, I saw it performed in the flesh rather than on line and it is killer, I bet this get's amazing responses.

Congratulations on a very cool effect.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Greg, I like your idea... I would put the "first" deck in my inner breast pocket actually sleeving it (dropping it in my sleeve through the arm pitch) in order to bring out a "second" deck from a different pocket (outer jacket pocket)...Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
What a great idea Jan; that is a wonderful addition to completing this trick.

If I performed with my sleeves rolled down, I would do it your way (with your permission).

Or maybe for those REALLY serious performers an inner breast pocket with a "PIPE" to the outside pocket (Major OVERKILL). ;-)

thank you,
Greg Rostami
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Thirteen by J B Magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL