The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tricks And Stunts With Animal Traps (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3395 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Really!!!

Ok, guess its a no-brainer then.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3597 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you want one (You will have to clean it up a bit)Bell me and I will get it to you OK.)

Ken

Anyone else wants one they are £65 with my routine and worth more hehehe.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2588 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Bell me? Car boots? I thought we were speaking English here! Heh heh, just kidding. I could throw at least a dozen Philly-isms at you that would stump even the most prodigenous linguists.

Ros, clear coat is simply any clear acrylic top coat usually applied by use of a spray canister. (Clear spray paint)... you Brits!

TGN
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3597 Posts

Profile of Kondini
We speaky English,we give it to you,and you bu88er it up!!! LOL
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3395 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Got my gin trap from Ken today.

WOW, these look great. So real... uh, cos they are REAL! Much better than the abbotts shiney ones.

If you're after getting one I'd definately recommend giving Ken a PM rather than getting one of the propy looking ones.

Thanks again Ken.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2894 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Ros,
A shiny trap doctored with a little paint the way I descirbed ( and the paint job will last for years of heavy use) will show up better on camera. Keep that in mind if you plan to do it on TV.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3395 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks Todd,

Never thought of that.

Ros
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7150 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I tried Todd's method and it works just fine. So maybe you have to reeat it once in awhile.

Any 1 1/2 will work...just hit an old hardware store. No adjustments needed.

D
Higley's Doug's Museum
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3395 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I did it!

My first practice attempt with the trap went without a hitch.

The feeling just before stuffing your hand in is weird. You know the theory and you trust those that have helped you with it. But still you think: "I must be mad. I'm about to stick my hand in a friggin trap!"

But oh boy I was dead chuffed when I did.

So, huge thanks to everyone here for helping out. It's very much appreciated.

Ros
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2871 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with a shiny trap? Smile
Find my e-books and videos at:

http://www.lybrary.com/david-devlin-m-98836.html
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2588 Posts

Too much glare from stage lights. Shine tends to cause "flares" in photographic images due to flash back also. My anvils come factory shiny, so I rough 'em up and hit them with dull silver spray paint. You know, sometimes the complete opposite is trouble too, for example my 16 pound bowling ball is jet black. I wear black costuming and usually backstage curtains are black, so on occasion the ball gets "lost" in an image.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11113 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I decided to buy one years ago, but somehow knew the Abbott chromed version wasn't what I wanted... too proppy. I went to a farm supply where they sold many sizes, until they buckled under pressure from PETA.

At the time, I had no idea what size I needed, so naturally, I started testing them according to size, smaller ones first. When I finally got to one that even I was a bit scared of, I set it, placed it on the floor where I was sitting with these things all around me, and just as a mustered the courage to shove my fingers into it, an old man walk around the corner of the aisle. The trap went, SNAP! The old man went, "GOOD GOD MAN!!!"

I said, "I'll take it!" It was an Oneida Victor 1 1/2. It has rusted up nicely since then.

I have used it with many presentations over the years. Mostly it involves a mistake while demonstrating the premise of a game called, "The hand is faster than the eye". Lots of good funny lines and bits throughout.

Although I can easily take the rap on the fingers (I don't decrease the spring tension), I have learned that by curling your fingers in just as you hit the trip plate, the jaws will smack across the back of the hand just above the knuckles. Sounds wimpy, but hear me out here.

My other hand has at the same time palmed out a portion of a fake hand, consisting of four fingers with just enough hand meat to hold them together. The way your trapped fingers now lie, they are out of sight, being tucked back toward you. Both hands come together and the illusion of "peeling" away half of your hand is better than anyone could imagine!

After the appropriate sink-in time, I expose it all as a joke. (But wait... we aren't done yet!)

I get my hand free of the trap, but continue to hold it cramped, as if it is really messed up. As I suddenly straighten out those fingers with the help of the other hand, the audience is treated to the most godawful snapping sound they have ever heard... courtesy of our old friend the plastic cup. Smile

It's a beautiful payoff!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5055 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"What's wrong with a shiny trap?"

It's a matter of taste (not that I've ever bitten one.) Some people (like many magicians I've met) think that an enamel airbrushed-in-a-Chinese-style box can be pawned off on an audience as a thing they just picked up in an alley, so it obviously couldn't be magical, because it's just an ordinary box, and you can just look at it, but only on THIS side, see?

Some people feel that a nasty looking old trap looks like, well, a nasty looking old trap. There's a kind of authenticity that goes with it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2588 Posts

I agree with Harley, in addition an old nasty rusty looking trap appears more dangerous (make sure to get your tetanus shot!). I prefer to chew on rusty razor blades rather than the fresh clean ones.

They taste better... hey Harley may be right! It's all according to TASTE!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7150 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ok...here goes...I know I know...old thread...tough beans......this fits...

After a Full year of being in the dark as to how to routine the Trap it hit me...the idea not the trap...
Recently I've been routine-ing a Mental Mysteries Show I'm going to do...and I wanted to include the trap(s) but other than a bogus manipulation of the metal bit, I couldn't think of anything really entertaining and involving audience participation...then EUREKA! I struck Gold! Well...maybe not...Steel...but I think I have solved the age old 'HOW the hell do I fit this in my routine' quandry...it took a different approach and a skewed angle of thought...but hey...that's my charm (that and ineptness)...so...I'm thinking of writing this up for $5. What do ya think? If I just thought of it, I'd say Free...but man it's been a buggaboo for a long time and frankly it is brilliant. Smile This can be a Feature in a Mentalism routine or magic act not just a throwaway. No gimmicks or moves nothing to force or remember. It is moron proof and exploits the true aspect of the traps...in a fun way. Very simple idea really.

Also some advise from my friends here...what if I put in the specs and routine for my Xmosis Effect? (Totally killer! and VERY exclusive.) Under $10 of materials and a thinking change will get you a solid closer! You will melt through solid HEAVY Steel. Can be inspected CLOSE UP by volunteer! Spec Handeled 100% before and after.
This is a huge upgrade to a currently marketed successful routine but I have the permission to take it to this next level.

What if both of those were in an eBook-y thing-y for $12. Would it be want-a-ble?
Or as Tigger would say a 'wanta-bibble?

I just find it hard to give this stuff away, like I give away most of my ideas, because it is currently in my new show I'm putting together and it really is F*&^*%G Brilliant. ahem.

So...no answers here...PMs please (...rather than call me names here in front of girls. Never did like that.)

And no I don't have this ready...just asking...
Higley
Higley's Doug's Museum
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
My wife is a Brit, and I guess I have an eastern American accent, so sometimes we are two souls separated by a common language...By the way, here in Quartzsite, Victor traps are very common, and it's hard not to find some at any market... Nicely distressed...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I have about 10 rusty old victor traps in the garage looking all distressed and unused... dunno why I bought so many. Guess I wanted one for each finger or something....
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7150 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"My wife is a Brit, and I guess I have an eastern American accent, so sometimes we are two souls separated by a common language..."

What on earth does that have to do with....anything? Gee Slim...is Quartsite gettin' to ya?

I should buy a bunch of nicely distressed traps and package this up huh.

David...hang on to them...some day they will be worth a fortune! Do Gooders should be outlawing them soon...and if I release my notes they will be at a premium! Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
233 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Here is a link for a company that sells a multitude of traps.

http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2894 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Go for it, Doug.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tricks And Stunts With Animal Traps (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL