The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Hot tin foil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

legalalien
View Profile
New user
German in LA
17 Posts

Profile of legalalien
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. Did not know if this is the right place to post.

Perfomer places a rolled-up ball of tin foil on spectators hand and after a brief moment it becomes too hot for spectator to hold on to. What is this effect called, where would I buy it?

Thank you for your help!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
15333 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Didn't it used to be done with mercury?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
It was called "Too Hot to Handle". Not available anymore.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5593 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I believe that Danny is correct. It used Mercury and b/c of that, it's no longer available due to the "obvious" reasons...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Soooo...a borrowed dollar bill flash transposition to (shimmed) foil Too Hot to Handle to sudden vanish with an insanely strong 3l3ctro m&%n3t is out then?

Dang. There goes my closer.
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
510 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
It was originally called Hypno Heat as far as I remember.
You can also use mercuric chloride (HgCl2) instead of straight mercury although neither is really safe and both are extremely hard to get now.
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2108 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
This routine "Too Hot to Handle" is found on Jon Tremaine's
Close-Up Mental Act Volume #1. Put out by L&L Publishing.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2428 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had a book (can't remember the title) with stories intermixed with the instructions. One story was that a guy tried to do that trick for a friend who was also a magician. (This was a long time ago, when the trick was new) The guy didn't know what was going to happen and thought the magician was going to make the ball vanish, so he put it in his pocket and covered it with a handkerchief to make it harder for the magician to get to. Then he ignored the heat the ball was developing until it reached the point where it was too hot for his to grab hold of and get out! I think he finally ended up ripping off his pants!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
The following is a true story: I once bought a magic booklet on the internet that had a non-mercury way of doing the hot foil trick. The premise was this, you supposedly hypnotize a spectator, you then put a piece of foil on his hand and give him the suggestion that it is getting hot. He feels it get too hot and drops it. The next phase is that a playing card is placed between his hands, a moment passes, he lifts his hand, only to find the edges of the card are charred. His method of switching the charred card for the regular card was predictable. The method he suggested for the hot foil was unique to magic. His solution was that you really hypnotize the spectator and give him a real suggestion.

Go figure.

Regards,

Brady
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1018 Posts

Profile of derrick
Hypno Heat is what it was called when I purchased it. No idea exactly where it is right now but if you really need it for something important I'll start digging through all my old crap. I'll bet I can find it if I try hard enough. If it is worth it, let me know and I'll start the search.

Derrick
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
You can also do the same trick by rubbing some cinnamon on a bit of kit kat foil.
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
510 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Quote:
On 2008-03-01 23:28, zak plumb wrote:
You can also do the same trick by rubbing some cinnamon on a bit of kit kat foil.

Yep. You can also open a stick of cinnamon flavored gum like Big Red and use that foil (with the foil side facing out) and stick it to someones forehead and it will get fairly hot until they rip it off.
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
There is actually a routine in Borodin's Sheherazade which uses little aluminum foil dolls and one gets too hot to hold. It used something called 'Ultra Heat', which, according to Borodin, is available in Germany where he resides, but is not available here in the states. You might have some luck asking this question in the Bizarre section of the Café; those guys know about stuff like this.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
15333 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You can also do it with part of a glow plug, PM me for details.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I for one am switching to the ever popular, "...ever seen a match burn twice?" bit.

Far easier to get ahold of the necessary materials, can be performed surrounded, and has a GREAT comedic ending.

I'll use it tonight a couple of times and let you all know how it goes.
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
238 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Great idea, Chad. Kids love that one!
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of jasper
I believe Luke Jermay has a coin bending effect where he coin gets too hot to handle and spectator drops the coin! could easily be applied to foil! all done through suggestion!

never tried it though!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Hot tin foil (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.133921 seconds, requiring 60 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [0] [0] [4] [7] [9] [2] [5]