The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » MissDirection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ghoulia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ghoulia
I wonder why more pretty girls don't get into magic because they have the perfect misdirection for doing magic (with men anyway) just wear a sexy little number that shows a lot of clevage and you can be sure that no man will be watching what you're doing with your hands but they would be more focused on what they wish they were grabbing with theirs Smile
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
This type of distraction might work for some of your audience, tho the majority will probably need a little something more. also, if these boys bring dates, you risk losing half the crowd. skin is a good distraction but must be played gently so as not to offend.
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Ghoulia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ghoulia
You've got a point there chill
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Perfect for Bachleor party,,,,,,,,
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Ghoulia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ghoulia
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 12:07, vinsmagic wrote:
Perfect for Bachleor party,,,

Indeed!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Missdirection; I love it! If I was a woman, I would call myself Miss Direction.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
LOL tod you are too late, one is already out there. http://www.myspace.com/kristachilton

Mike
Ghoulia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ghoulia
I was thinking of using it as a name but I found someone else had it... too bad
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
I think "Ms. Direction" might still be available. The only act I found using it was a rock band (whose music was not my cup o' tea).
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Lady D
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Lady D
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 12:07, vinsmagic wrote:
Perfect for Bachleor party,,,,,,,,

Again with the sniggering remarks and inuendo? Isn't enough enough?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I don't think Vinnie was being obnoxious at all as he's very respectful of women. His remark, if I may infer was said tongue in cheek regarding the following: Showing off cleavage and wearing sexy numbers - sorry but talent in magic is what is considered the priority. Those kinds of statements regarding the attire women should wear in magic may be why there aren't more young ladies going into magic. They are trying to break the stereotype and why can't a talented female knock someone's socks off by performing in a business suit and let the magic speak for itself.

Chrystal
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Chrystal, there is no reason a talented female magician can't knock us off our feet without using the her gender. If it is not demeaning why not use it to your advantage? I am sure some woman feel appalled, but others wield it like a sword. I myself feel you are better off not going down that road.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Do you mean like Zatanna?

'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-03-27 09:32, Banester wrote:
Chrystal, there is no reason a talented female magician can't knock us off our feet without using the her gender. If it is not demeaning why not use it to your advantage? I am sure some woman feel appalled, but others wield it like a sword. I myself feel you are better off not going down that road.

If I may. many of us have been trying to make it legitimately, and the rumors of " oooh she slept her way to the top" have in the past been used to explain why a woman got ahead in a male dominated industry. Now in magic there is an advantage. No matter how sexy you are if you cannot perform as a magician, no one of note that you respect will want you to perform for them. If someone does want you, and you suck at magic, may as well stick to the sexyness and chuck the magic.

I think that to many of us, using our bodies to assist with magic is like admiting we are not as good as male magicians are. After all, if we were, we could perform as well, in the same situation... a business suit.

That having been said, there is no reason the suit cannot comprise a business skirt, and the suit come with a sexy blouse... but... maybe only the top button undone...not 2...or...3.. because then you are just a magic stripper. lol...

Another reason is, that the sexy underclad female in magic has more often than not been the assistant that is there for misdirection, and female magicians want to stand out in the minds of the public, and not be confused for the assistant.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
Unfortunately, cleavage as misdirection doesn't always work. You notice that Vernet no longer carries the "Third Boob" which held a huge load, but was often spotted by the onlooker as suspicious. Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Sex appeal sells in the area of entertainment but many do not realize that it does not only mean the female sexy physique.

It is the attractive feminine side of sex appeal that attracts the public, may they be male or female. Sex appeal does not mean dressing up in revealing costume. A female magicianne can be dressed up in a business suit or any costume that is not revealing but can still be accepted in the entertainment industry. It is the feminine side of the personality and character that counts.

Of course the skills of magic counts too, along with business, marketing and PR knowledge.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I also perform as a character called Miss Direction, she is performing all over London.

check out http://www.magicweek.co.uk and you will see she is listed in the news and performing at magic night in soho on 3rd october!

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Krista Chilton performs as Miss Direction - Their website is http://www.divinemagic.biz
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I have to put in my two cents here. I feel that we are confusing looking good, or hot, or sexy or what ever you want to call it with misdirection. Misdirection is done in a moment. While your look is there from the beginning of your performance till the end. Example, Jackson at the Halftime Superbowl Show was great misdiredtion but was only a moment. I realy feel that she could have done a very poor pass and it would have gone undetected. If a female performer is attractive and has a nice figure there is nothing wrong with using it as part of her personna. Lets look at some performers Cher, Dolly, and to be quite honest most female singers. Do you see them come out and perform in business suits or do you see them dressed in what we today use the term as dressed "HOT". Make no mistake about it, as magicians you are entertaining, and doing so your look is what they see first and your magic is second. Before someone misquotes me I am saying that what your spectator sees first is your look. I do not mean your magic is secondary. And while on the subject look back at the outfits of many of our most suscessful male magicians that have performed on television. I will not mention names but think back of the clothing that many of our male performers have worn when performing. I have not seen that many business suits. Remember I am talking about magaicians not mentalists. Mentalists definitely fall into a different category not being discussed here. OK, said my two cents. Fire away.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Funny if there was a clumbsy female magician named "Misstake".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » MissDirection (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL