The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Another new coin gimmick! - World's cleanest coin vanish! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I've been kicking this idea around in my head for a while. I suppose now is as good a time to mention it as ever.

The effect: With sleeves rolled up, people holding your wrists so there's absolutely no place an object could go. You could be in birthday suit, standing, sitting, surounded, it doesn't matter. You make a huge deal about how your hands are cut off islands. You place a Penny in your hand. Under the tightest possible conditions (listed above or any other you can imagine) people eyeing your hands, you make a few magical gestures with your hand(s). When you open your hand the Penny has vanished. Hands can be shown, felt, examined, whatever, front and back.

I'd be curious to hear a few guesses on this one. I'll post my possible (I think) solution/gimmick for this later today.

Platt

Okay, Here's my thought: A "coin" made out of a molded petroleum like substance- similar to lipstick or Chapstick. It would be easy to rub your hands together or work just one hand to make it melt into your palm. If tinted the color of a Penny, I think it would quite easily match your skin color. I'd sell the molds with around 20
"pennies" inside. You'd just pop one out and do the effect.

Well, that's it. Any thoughts?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
This effect sounds great. I would like to hear more about it!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Sounds like you are trying WAY too hard. If you are interested in just fooling the boys at the magic club, then it may be an option. If you are a pro, working for real dollars in the real world, then you would be stark raving mad to work that hard for a coin vanish.
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Chris S said it right there. ALL that for a coin vanish. Granted, it would be amazing, but aren't there other ways? Yikes!

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
johnathanblades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of johnathanblades
You never put the coin in the hand, Duh!
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
"All that work for a coin vanish!"

Don't go in the card forum and say anything similar! 8 years I have been working on my pass! I expect to work similarly on my classic palm etc. Yep that's right, all that work for a coin vanish (OK, so you can do a lot more with a classic palm than a vanish, but the potential is there to do a lot more with the above mentioned gimmick too).
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
I believe it was Mitch Leary over in the alt.magic.secrets group that had a similar effect where he made an "aspirin tablet" disappear in his bare hands right before the spectators' eyes... He simply used a very small dollop (aspirin size) of white hand lotion... then by rubbing his hands together slowly... it vanished. Fascinating idea!
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
I think if I approached some people in my birthday suit and wanted them to hold my wrists they would probably run the other way.... and this time of the year
I'd really be needing the chapstick for that one in New Hampshire!

Seriously though don't overthink yourself when it comes to a coin vanish.

There definitely are some big potentials for the concept of vanishing something
by having it simply wipe off onto your skin invisibly -- good example blsorg.

Think... white tic tac in the right hand false transfer to squirt of suntan lotion in the left hand..... hmmm maybe there are some applications for this idea in my birthday suit after all... gotta wait for warmer weather...
"Now watch closely!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
This reads like a bad M&Ms ad. "Melts in your hands, do not put in your mouth."

I like the idea, and would prefer to see it work with a larger coin like a quarter. Best wishes in this effort.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tanner
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Tanner
Something similar might be to imprint the image of a coin onto some tin foil. You could then roll the "coin" up into a small ball and easily clip it between fingers.

T.
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 19:54, Tanner wrote:
Something similar might be to imprint the image of a coin onto some tin foil. You could then roll the "coin" up into a small ball and easily clip it between fingers.

T.

see "Another Vanishing Coin" in Bell's Magic c.1973 page 34 -- probably out of print though
"Now watch closely!"
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Or if you had some sort of cream on your hand and when you pushed the coin the cream would cover it making it seem like it vanished but the coin is just under the plaster cream substance which to the eyes of others looks like it is gone.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hey, give the guy a break... He's trying to think outside the box... Smile

I, for one, like this idea...

I had similar ideas way back...

You'd have to set up one hand with the gaff beforehand I think... Then just do a switch with a real coin...

But pleaseee... NOT in your birthday suit, OK?

:P
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Is this a joke?
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Are the wrists really held?

If not, I think it is Revolution. Visit http://www.ellusionist.com/ to buy it!
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Hey guys please. why go so hard on Platt.
It's just his concept. He has shared a lot of good stuff with us before.
Oh, and liquid_magic - you obviously are not familiar with Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Don't get me wrong, revolution is a nice vanish and all but Bobo's book is much more useful.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Wow. Three years goes by fast. I completely forgot about this idea. Obviously a melting coin is going a long way for a simple vanish. And obviously this is purely an idea to fool solely the know-it-all magic geeks. Nothing more. I'm happy to take the criticism. BTW, I love the aspirin idea.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Well, I tried the aspirin idea tonight on my girlfriend. Badly fried her. Worked perfectly. Give it a try.
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
This sounds a lot more complicated than it is: Freeze some water in the recessed bottom area of a drinking glass. It should be about the size of the coin you switch it with. Use it in place of the glass disc that you cover with a hanky and drop into a glass of liquid for the auditory illusion of the coin vanishing. I think Malini did this in bars. If you use an ice disc instead of a glass disc in warm or hot water, you end up completely clean. This works especially well in plain hot water in a glass cup. If you want you can drink from the glass and produce the coin from your mouth.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
If you look at the date of my original post, you'll see I've been kicking this idea around for almost four years now. Seeing that some similar thinking is now being marketed, I'm curious who'd be interested in this type of thing. I still haven't seen any gimmick of its sort that leaves you completely clean.

Thanks,

Platt
(please excuse the obnoxious title of this post. I was just a kid.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Another new coin gimmick! - World's cleanest coin vanish! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL