The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Geoff Williams "I Hate David Copperfield trick" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I wouldn't go as far as saying "dead simple", but easy enough to get once you learn all the "positions"...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Anyone have "Cervon Monte?" I think that's what the booklet was called. I have it somewhere. Bruce Cervon had several versions of this effect in it. The one I use is where the backs of all three cards can be seen to be quite normal.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I watched Larry Jennings on DVD do this. I watch Michael Ammar do this and Now I watched "I Hate David Copperfield trick" version and don't see any difference.

Can anyone tell me what the "eye-popping additions to Larry Jennings' 'The Close-Up Illusion" are?
~Joe
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
Quote:
On 2010-01-23 03:03, Joe Mauro wrote:
I watched Larry Jennings on DVD do this. I watch Michael Ammar do this and Now I watched "I Hate David Copperfield trick" version and don't see any difference.

Can anyone tell me what the "eye-popping additions to Larry Jennings' 'The Close-Up Illusion" are?

I was actually wondering the same thing, as I too learned Jennging' version through the etmcm series years ago. Been seeing a lot of advertising for this version lately and do not see a difference from what I remember from Jennings' original effect, other than presentation. Anyone?...
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
I would kiss him if I met him... got his lecture notes and they are great!
Ade
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:

The name of the trick....
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
rottenmagic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of rottenmagic
This effect is awesome. I guess it depends on the trick that is on a one effect dvd. If the teaching is concise, and the presenter offers suggestions on alternate presentations,and/or performance settings, then there is a lot of value in one trick dvd's. But often, none of those things are present, and you feel ripped off.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster

Perhaps the title should be changed to the "I Hate Geoff Williams trick"
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
That's funny.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Here's a video of the effect, for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmaZk65ojE

It looks nice, but the cards beg to be examined. Unfortunately, from what I understand, they can't be examined. So I think I'm going to pass on buying this one.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
This is a fantastic trick.
If you are worried about people wanting to examine the cards, then you will have to stay away from all the great packet tricks,
NFW
Skinners 3 Card monte
Ultimate Oil and Water
Double Back
Charge it
ETC.
Switch them out or just don't show them.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For those worried about any heat, use a regular deck and remove the two 'normal' cards from them. BUT......from your pocket or wallet, remove the odd back card. This is the card that should have heat on it. In fact, have them sign the face, so they can keep it at the end.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 12:31, Review King wrote:
For those worried about any heat, use a regular deck and remove the two 'normal' cards from them. BUT......from your pocket or wallet, remove the odd back card. This is the card that should have heat on it. In fact, have them sign the face, so they can keep it at the end.

Nice idea Chris.

Charlie
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I've nothing bad to say about this effect but strongly dislike the title and patter theme.

Jealousy and/or hatred of a fellow magician (or anybody else) is just not something that I would want to convey to my audience as a working pro.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
[quote]On 2010-07-14 03:00, J.Warrens wrote:
I've nothing bad to say about this effect but strongly dislike the title and patter theme.

Jealousy and/or hatred of a fellow magician (or anybody else) is just not something that I would want to convey to my audience as a working pro.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't think it's meant to be an attack on DC, just a bit of fun. Just change the patter. Why anyone would use someone elses lines anyway is beyond me.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
@UncleBunkle:

I still stick by my words on this. I don't think it's clever or cool to say such a negative thing about another performer regardless if it's maliciously intended or not.

I firmly believe that this was just a marketing ploy, using Copperfield's name to make the effect more "sensational". It just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm fairly certain the name "Geoff Williams" is not a household name, unlike Copperfield's, whose is.

Just sounds like jealousy to me, even if it isn't - that's the way that it comes across.

Cheers.
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
To those offended by the title of this trick, I say "lighten up." If you've ever seen Geoff Williams perform, everything he does has a playful nature to it. Not only is he a really good magician, but he's a first class entertainer and seemingly a nice guy. I had short conversation with him at a lecture too, and he's first class.

The title of the trick fits his persona and playful nature. I highly doubt DC would feel insulted or threatened. If anything, I would think he'd be flattered.

For the record, I don't hate David Copperfield or Geoff Williams.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 13:50, tntjr wrote:
To those offended by the title of this trick, I say "lighten up."

Exactly! If you ever witnessed GW you cannot help but excuse him everything.

(If not one can't help you...)
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 11:44, chappelly wrote:
This is a fantastic trick.
If you are worried about people wanting to examine the cards, then you will have to stay away from all the great packet tricks,

...Switch them out or just don't show them.

I quite agree with that statement. Charge It! is especially easy to clean up so that spectators can examine the cards at the end. Having said that, I also like the idea above about having a participant sign the "heat" card beforehand - not really necessary but it does make for a very nice give-away - and a memorable one at that!
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Great trick, I like the DVD and have had it for a number of years.I don't know what all the fuss is about reference the single trick DVD - we are all adults and can do the math($).Its your choice what route you go..single or multi DVD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Geoff Williams "I Hate David Copperfield trick" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL