The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Dear all,

This Easter I did some Easter Program for some Christian Schools. The show went well, the teachers said it was very entertaining and meaningfull. But I have a friend who have a child attended in one of my show. When she asked her kids about my program, her child tell her how good I am in magic, but almost forget the message I told.

I told the message when I doing magic. For examples when I use lotta bowl, I told that God give you what you need on and on, even when you give what you have to the last. I didn't mention about the water, which came from the bowl on and on. I just do the action, while speaking about the message.

My friends child only remember that I was good at produce the water on and on, and asked his mother how he did that.

So what should I do to bring the message more than the magic effect?

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Some people just hear what they want and see what they want...personally I don't think it would be your fault as a performer. If they don't listen they are robbing themselves of a blessing. If I go to school and I sit in chapel and don't listen to a thing the preacher says but I listen only to the singing beforehand, whose fault is that? Not the pianist's, its my own. Others may tell you to make the illusions duller. I wouldn't. Naturally you want to please God by first presenting the gospel. Some just would rather enjoy the show.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Your message and the magic should flow together. I know some will only see the magic, some will only hear the message, but many will understand both. You CANNOT reach 100% of the people each time. If you only reach one, great at least you are planting many more seeds of the gospel for others. If they remember your magic, you have at least won the right for them to see you again and have not turned them against you or your message.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
I believe strongly that the message plants seeds. They may not remember the script, but if you are truly sharing the gospel, then they are hearing it. If you ask them what happened...they will tell you the "what was done" (the effect) but not necessarily "what was said." So don't get discouraged. Those called to share the Word of God need to do that to the best of their ability. But just remember, nothing we do will bring them to Jesus...that is between the person and God.

Consider this...Two guys in the Bible...both prophets...Noah and Jonah. Noah shared with conviction that the rain was coming and they needed to get on the boat...and no one but his family listened. Jonah on the other hand reluctantly shared about God's coming wrath...and they all got saved. So be faithful, share what God puts on your heart to share, and let God use it for His glory.
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I agree with FX, if you are sharing the word of God, the message is getting presented.

Use as much scripture as you can, the bible says that the Lord's word does not come back void, without achieving God's will. Your message may have planted a seed that will eventually lead to salvation years from now. Or, you may be just starting to till the soil in some young hearts.

Also, Satan wants to discourage you as much as possible from doing what you are doing. Stick with it! God will cause the growth of the fruit. Come back here for encouragement and as brothers we will lift you up.

Some till the soil, some plant the seed, some reap the harvest, all will be rewarded accordingly by the Lord. God bless you and your service.

Preston-

One last thing-I've found that my testimony has a lot of power when used in conjunction with the message of the Gospel. The Lord would often tell people to go and tell others what the Lord has done for them. Maybe you could include some of your personal testimony in your presentation. People want to hear how God has changed lives. Of course, make sure it is appropriate for the age of the audience.

God bless-
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Can you remember everything your pastor preached on two Sunday's ago (outside of Easter time)? Depending how the question was asked and if someone would have probed a little more, she may have been able to say why the water kept flowing...

I agree with what some have said, don't worry about it. It sounds like you're doing a good job.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Thank you very much for all of your encouragement and tips!
I learn a lot!

My other experience is after I did a program for grade 1 & 2 (about 6-7 years old kids), one of the teacher give a suggestion to me, that I should read a verse or more from the Bible. Because if I only tell the bible stories, it seem just like ordinary story. It also not enough if I only telling about Christian Principle without Bible refference. He said that it isn't have enough power. Are you agree with that statement?
I usually don't read from the Bible, or quote Bible verse for grade 2 and below. Should I follow this suggestion?

But I read the Bible for higher level, such as grade 3 (8 years old) and up. Because they usually bring their Bible in this kind of situation. So we can read along together or read back and fort.

What do you think?
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I would have to agree that there is more power in the actual word of God than simply telling the stories. But, you also don't want to just recite a long passage from the bible that puts the kids to sleep. Experiment with finding a balance and pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit.

It's never too soon to start teaching scripture. Maybe only use a couple of scriptures for the little ones, verses that apply directly to the presentation and aren't very spiritually complicated. Something that presents the message of the Gospel or a simple biblical principle.

With the older children you may want to add more verses, etc. That's nice that you read back and forth together! Keep it up!

Preston-
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
I've done a lot of work with that age group and in any of my shows always try to actually read from the Bible at some point. One of the effects I've created uses several verses and one is selected. A prediction is shown and it doesn't say the verse, but what the passage is about. Like "Jesus turns water into wine." Then I say, "We better make sure that's right." So I get out my Bible and with the help of the child, we read the passage.
If you can find a children's Bible that has pictures in it (and one that illustrates your prediction) all the better.
So I would say a very strong "YES" to that idea.
Hope that helps
><> J
Kif Anderson
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Brainmold
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Brainmold
With the short attention span of kid's today (coupled with their inability to focus, understand and retain,) you are lucky they remembered you at all. LOL
There is a corolary to Murphy's law: 10% never get the word.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Thank you very much!
I learn a lot from you all.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Help please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL