The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » What the heck does this card do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
I have a combo gaffed deck. .not the ellusionist one, the original (If anyone remembers what this is called please let me know) - it has double backers, facers, blanks, a complete set of ultimate monte, bwave, etc, etc. .

There is one set of 2 or three cards in there and I have no idea what they do. . I have a vague feeling it's a karrel fox thing, but I'm not sure.

It's a regular card but on the back, printed on top of the bicycle design is a white square about 1x2 inches and inside is printed the suits and values of different cards in a grid with a kind of tic tac toe pattern.

I'd love to know what this is and where I can find the trick (if it's a good one).
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
I've got nothing. I purchased Simon Lovell's "Packet Killer" and have only one card that sounds similar to what you're talking about. It has a normal face, and half a normal back (like you said).

But as for a tic tac toe pattern?!!?! You've got me. Are you sure you don't remember the original name of the deck?
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Michael;
That sounds familiar, If the suits and values are down the left hand side from top to bottom, 2H, 5C, QD, AS, 10H, 3C, 5D, QS, 8H, 7C That would be the chart for the Miracle Gimmick by Paul Fox, a very old but very good trick which is not seen much anymore.

If it is different than that, then I would guess it would be some type of stack system, but I'm willing to bet it is the miracle gimmick chart.

Hope that has helped some, if it is the miracle gimmick chart, give me a shout via PM and I will let you know what to do with it.

All the Best
Marty
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I remember Jeff Busby selling the Paul Fox system for a lot of money. Nice idea printing it on the back of a playing card.

Robert
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree, nice idea. Some magicians who are performing the effect nowadays, though, are not using any kind of cue card, and instead are using an MD.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>I remember Jeff Busby selling the Paul Fox system for a lot of money.

Or get it now for a bargain:

http://trickshop.com/fox_gimmick.html

Frans
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

I believe it is the paul fox thing. . thank you! It looks like I can download the instructions at that link. . how cool.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Just as an aside, the first time that I saw a performance of the Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick, it was by a magician friend of mine for a roomful of other magicians including me, and I was fooled so badly that I assumed all of the other magicians who chose a card were stooges and that they were all just playing a joke on me. I'm not kidding, I was completely fried! Under the right circumstances, this effect can slay.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Good story, Larry! Thanks for sharing that.

Robert
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

I'm fascinated by the concept now. . IT's definitely something I'll put some time into. Does anyone know if this effect is still widely used. .

and yes. . it looks like it is printed on the back of the playing card in the combination deck I received.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
It is called the Universal Deck.........
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

AHH that's right. .the universal deck. . .It was a great deal. . .had double backers, double facers, a complete skinner monte set, a bwave/twisted sister, a set of princess cards, and a ton more. . (52 on one, 3 1/2 spades, . . and the list goes on)

Do they still sell these?
doulos
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
61 Posts

Profile of doulos
Hey guys - someone gave me a Miracle Gimmick card with some other gaffed ones, like a leftover partial Universal deck. However, I can't find any reference material about this item. Anyone know of anything written that I can referred to for effects?

thx
-shoop
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
230 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Danny Archer has an effect based on the Paul Fox Miracle. If memory serves me correctly it is on his DVD Working Alone and is called Out Foxed. I saw him do this in his lecture and it was fantastic and relatively simple.

Doug
CENTRALCOLUMBIA
View Profile
Regular user
Phila
107 Posts

Profile of CENTRALCOLUMBIA
I have ten sets of these I was givin as a gift at a convention. They are printed on jokers. I do the mind reading effect at every standup show and I have done it over the phone too. it works great.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
If you're closeup and don't mind the time to get it down, Allan Ackerman has his Impromptu Paul Fox on the Las Vegas Card Expert video, which is now a two set with Every Move a Move.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » What the heck does this card do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL