The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Steve Spill, not Mel Mellers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
LOL!

Larry, thank you for the much needed levity!

I wish everyone well, I hope this is the end of it, and in the future I'm sure we can look forward to great things from all of those involved.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Today I was contacted by Danny Hustle with regard to the Steve Spill duck routine as it relates to my positive review of Mel Mellers' new dvd in Genii. I do not visit the Magic Café regularly anymore; the only web forum I read consistently is the Genii Forum and I had not seen this issue discussed there.

I have contacted Richard Kaufman to let him know of my plan to do some investigation and submit an addendum to my review.

Thank you, Danny, for bringing this to my attention.

Best,
Joe M. Turner
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Joe, I'd be happy to talk to you if you'd like. I worked at the Brook Farm Inn of Magic with Steve in the 80's and personally witnessed him develop and tweak the routine. PM me if you'd like.

Best, Larry
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
A goose may be a poke in the arse, but theft of intellectual property is a kick in the butt.

Andy Amyx

On 2008-04-22 02:12, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 12:18, Christopher Williams wrote:
And to add that Rob James routine is a brilliant handling, and just brought a smile to my face the first time I saw it!

Does it use a goose?
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Christopher Kavanagh said: Does it use a goose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A goose may be a poke in the arse, but theft of intellectual property is a kick in the butt.

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
After being in contact with both Steve Spill and Mel Mellers, I have submitted an addendum to Richard Kaufman to appear in the Genii Speaks column of the next issue.
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well...looks like I came late to this party. I corresponded with Steve Spill today on the Café PMs about an unrelated subject, and, having mentioned that I've owned his material on VHS (does that tell you how long I've had it?) for years, he asked if I had read this thread and thought I might make a comment. I've seen the first 2 (I think it's the first two...the Mind DVDs) of Mel Mellers DVD products, and absolutely loved the material and presentation. The difference in the British humor (or is that humour?) takes some getting used to, as does the handling of an audience, and it's members, but it's hilarious. Having seen the Steve Spill compilations from years ago on the long VHS tapes..they're fantastic!

Now..., on to the similarities...I can't speak of the Mel Mellers duck/goose material, because I haven't seen it. I do know that Steve was performing this routine long, long ago...I don't know the respective men's ages and I certainly cannot come up with a solution, but, if Mel Mellers agreed to remove this routine from the DVD, that's truly honorable of him. I've been a fan of Steve Spill's creativity and style for a long time, and, although I don't know him personally (as many Café members do)...but hope this problem can be worked out amicably without more tossing of the "thief" word.

These days, I don't believe anyone would release material that is known to be of someone else's creation, the instant transfer of information would only lead to almost instant accusations of theft. Everybody would know in a matter of minutes.

Hoping to someday meet my other favorite performer (met Harry Anderson a few times for dinner, and lots of drinks in NOLA)..Steve Spill...

Steve Thomas
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
And...now that someone has send me a brief clip of Mel Mellers duck/goose routine, I would have to agree that there is just too much similarity in both the effects and the movements to be coincidental. Love watching Steve do that duck, too!

Steve
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
For those who do not get Genii, please note that I submitted an addendum to my review. This is what appeared in Genii Speaks in the July 2008 issue.

Quote:
Department of Inevitable Corrections: Joe Turner writes, “In the last issue, I gave a positive review to Mel Mellers’ Undiscovered Wonder DVD. Yesterday, I received an e-mail from Danny Hustle calling my attention to the “Mindreading Puppet” routine on the disc. Mr. Hustle pointed out that this routine bore more than a passing resemblance to a popular routine of Steve Spill’s, and sent me a link to a video of Mr. Spill performing this on television about 20 years ago. He also linked me to discussion on The Magic Café where the issue was being debated. The Spill routine—and I admit with some embarrassment that I had never seen it or heard of it before now—is a signature piece of his and there were plans already in the offing to release the routine on an upcoming DVD. I immediately contacted both Mr. Spill and Mr. Mellers to get their statements on the situation so that I could provide an addendum. Mr. Spill and Mr. Mellers both claim to have been performing a puppet/thumbwriter-based comedy mentalism routine for 20 years. (In Mr. Spill’s case, almost 30 years.) Mr. Spill’s claim does, to the best of my knowledge and research, predate Mr. Mellers’ and is backed up by a preponderance of evidence, both from television appearances and from many other magicians who saw him perform this routine. My best judgment tells me that this is a variant of Mr. Spill’s original routine and should not have been included without both a credit to him and, more importantly, his approval. The situation has, fortunately, already been resolved. The producer of Mr. Mellers’ disc, Russ Stevens, has recalled Undiscovered Wonders and is reissuing them without the routine.
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Wow - the heat is on!! Glad it's sorted out - I have some of the other DVDs produced by Russ Steven's and all of them are first rate - I would say his company is one of the best in this business for putting out professional DVDs for magicians. In all the ones I own by Russ, the performers always give credit where it is due.

I ended up purchasing Mel Mellor's DVDs after hearing so much about him on this chat, and seeing a short clip on youtube. In all honesty, putting aside the duck issue - this guy is one of the funniest acts I've ever seen!! His material on his DVD is brilliant - if he were to come to the US I think he'd knock a lot of so called well known comedy magicians off their perch.

I am a HUGE fan of Steve Spill as well, and will be purchasing his goose routine soon.

Back to Mr. Mellors. I buy a lot of DVDs, but I don't use a lot of material from them. If I can get one good routine that will go in my show then I'm doing well. HOWEVER, with Mellor's DVDs I could probably add four or five items. I'm adding his shirt effect straight away - it's pure genius.

Thanks to the guy who originally posted this chat because you've introduced me to one of the best comedy magicians I've 'never heard' about here in the US. I am HOOKED on Mellors and his DVDs contain some wonerful real world working comedy material. I really hope he makes it to the US one day to lecture because he would take this country by storm. He seems like such an honest and very intelligent gentlemen (and obviously well educated) - magic needs more of this type of person!

Thanks
Nat
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Maybe the café should start a Black List Topic where anyone could suggest other magicians to blacklist the purchase (and spread the news) of a product explaining why for good reason and debating over that: For sure it would produce (in many instances) the same result that certain things would be withdrawn, not by ethic but for commercial and marketing image reasons.
The direct impact may not be so great but it, for sure, would develop some self censorship, both on the rip offs and with the critics who are also doing frequent rip offs of other critics, simply parroting what they heard to feel "in".

Now about the goose, the duck, the ... as Dana Daniels keeps saying with great talent: "It's a bird!..."
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
ladirector
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of ladirector
Over the years I've seen many rip-off tricks, videos, DVD's, and plagerism in books. But I can't ever recall a rip-off product that was taken off the shelves like this Mellers DVD. This must have cost dearly in a number of ways. Something tells me that this wasn't done just because the producers have high morals. Does anyone know if there is a story behind this story?
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I think the answer to your question is buryed in Steve Spill's post on page 2 of this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
frientre
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of frientre
I just bought Undiscovered Wonder with Mel Mellers and I'm very disapointed to find that the mindreading duck is not on the DVD. Where is it? Does anyone know? Is it an easter egg? Hope that someone knows. thank you.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Start at the begining and read this thread for the answer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Steve Spill, not Mel Mellers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL