The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » As the price of gas goes up, the number of birthday party shows goes way down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Curtis
I have a ipod nano that keeps me company on long trips in the car. It also contains all of my show music, and my introduction, all in seperate files.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Here in Montreal I haven't really noticed much difference in my bookings between this year and last year, and gas is at $1.35/litre here. Here in Canada we are less prone to the worst of a recession, due to our rich store of natural resources, including five huge freshwater lakes, the massive Alberta Oil Sands from which we are becoming wealthy despite completely destroying an entire ecosystem in Alberta's north (not to mention those pesky little carbon emissions), and because we don't have the same massive expenditures as does a military state, since we only have 16 Mounties and a few Raging Grannies defending our borders, despite a few soldiers who went to Afghanistan to supposedly overthrow the Taliban but in fact were on a secret mission to open up a Tim Horton's shop in Kandahar.

And don't forget some words of wisdom:
"Succeed by Selling Out" (Nikolai Magicaveli, from Tips on Rising Above the Mediocre Masses)
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Where I am in Northern NJ the calls of slowed quite a bit. Others will not agree but it depends were you are. City or Country. I posted elsewhere while gas may be a factor it is not the cause. That is just media hype. Calls are down since people are pinched in so many little ways that they are making SMARTER decisions. Gas is just one pinch. In NJ gas is lower than most places but catching up (however we have the highest property taxes in the nation and high auto insurance) Housing prices went high in NJ and I think some middle class are even having trouble paying for the house they over paid for when the variable interest rates rose. There has been reports on the news that it is just not the low income having trouble buying food. NJN news reported that more people had their electric turned off in the last year than ever before and more are applying for food and electric assistance than before. Again, this is now not just the low income. Some people with good jobs did go overboard a few years ago and now having to decide what is important.

I agree with some that one needs to be more proactive. I have changed some marketing but still not getting the phone to ring. Value added might turn into me spending more time. I am not a circus or party store. I really do not want to be maintain popcorn and cotton candy machines or bounce houses.

For those who's phone is ringing like never before- GREAT! Share your marketing plan. Count your blessings that your area has a large pool who are not affected by this down period.

Sorry guys, I do not care how good you think you might be and how great your show is, we have to remember we are NOT needed and a luxury. In the end it is their money and choice what to do with it. (The key is to get them to choose a magic show)

I think the parents, who are being squeezed, are not spending less since little Billy is their Joy and they will still want a good birthday.

However I feel they possibly are finding higher value for the same $$.
At 3-7 years a parent can rent either you for an hour or for the same price, maybe less, rent a bounce house for all afternoon.

They are not spending less just being smart since really, at the end of the day, a six year old will have just as much fun bouncing around or having a water fight. THEY WILL NOT, go home crying, "Mommy the party was great but I really wished they had a magician."
It just will not happen.

I am sure it is a variety of other factors affecting the calls but think the choices they have (reptiles, Mad Science, pottery parties, ect) make magic just one more choice that there was not in past. It used to be, for many parties, a clown or magician. Unless your show the so unique and little Betty Sue will not be happy unless she has your show, they will be looking for the best value for their dollar.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 10:52, magic4u02 wrote:
I know that I have been having a stellar year so far in not only the festival markets and such, but a huge increase in my birthday party market.

In fact, I am having the best birthday party year that I have ever had and at a cost that is increased from years past. .

Kyle

So what do you attribute the increase to?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Al:

What are you using to cue up the music on your iPod? I've loved using my little Nano in shows, but the remote is another gizmo I gotta juggle, and if the iPod screen is more than a coupla feet away, it's a bear to see.

Thanks,
Leland
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Quote:

I have a substantially busier summer booked as compared to last year, mostly as a result of doing different things; approaching different markets with different methods....and, they're working. I'm not going to say I'm 100% booked, but I've got 5 times the summer bookings as compared to last year.....and it's a result of being pro-active in approaching the market as opposed to waiting for the phone to ring. I just gave up my yellow page ad at the first of the year and my Kids Directory ad in the past month.....they weren't generating the same level of inquiry calls I was accustomed to getting, so yes....there is a recession, there are less calls and people are spending less, so you just need to find new markets to entertain. Go get em' while your competitors are sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring!

OK so you cut out your yellow page ad and kid papers so how did that equal more work?
Would you share your proactive approaches in some detai. What seemed to work be best to get the 5x times more bookings than the year before?

Thanks
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 21:15, Chad C. wrote:
I don't do many b-day's(because I don't want to work on weekends) but I am completely booked this summer with over 90 libraries and am booked completely up for a few school months as well. I am doing way more business than last year at the same time period in every month so far this year. Gas has not been an issue that I can tell.

Chad

So what do you attribute to doing more business than last year and can you share your marketing approaches?
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Quote:
On 2008-05-21 11:44, mghia wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 21:15, Chad C. wrote:
I don't do many b-day's(because I don't want to work on weekends) but I am completely booked this summer with over 90 libraries and am booked completely up for a few school months as well. I am doing way more business than last year at the same time period in every month so far this year. Gas has not been an issue that I can tell.

Chad

So what do you attribute to doing more business than last year and can you share your marketing approaches?

Number one reason for me is word-of-mouth. I don't market to libraries - I am booked with repeat customers and word-of-mouth marketing. With schools I do several mailings a year but mainly it is now also word-of-mouth as well. So between repeat customers and then word-of-mouth and some mailings that's how I increased from last year.

Chad
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
This seems like the right thread to post this on:

Coach Thom's August 4th Blog post... A ......Economy.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » As the price of gas goes up, the number of birthday party shows goes way down (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL