The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » Creativity soundtrack » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4068 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I know what a big Harry Chapin fan you are, do you have any other favorites that stimulate your creativity?

Thanks,
Mike
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
575 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Absolutely.

Few little of my inspiration comes from magic or mentalism. Much of it comes from music, and some of it comes from other performing arts. And still other bits come from a number of other sources. I will give you a few examples.

Let’s start with music…

As you mentioned, Harry is number one on my list. I was fortunate enough to work on several hunger projects with him, and he taught me more about life than anybody else ever could.

Warren Zevon is a huge influence. Great storyteller, great mind, and a real sarcastic son of a…well, you know.

Pete Townshend. He is the rock star that I would have wanted to be--but without the annoying heroin addiction.

Believe it or not, Frank Sinatra. If for no other reason, he is a great study in character development. But honestly, all you really need to say is that he was Sinatra. And remember what Dean Martin said, "It’s Frank’s world, he just lets us live in it."

John Lennon, for way too many reasons to list.

Kris Kristofferson, because he has lived life the way that he wanted, and if you want to know how to be successful in this world, just ask me and I will tell you about Kris. When magicians and mentalists tell me how hard it is to become successful, I sit them down and tell them a few Kristofferson stories.

Steve Goodman. A number of people here may not know who Steve was, but he was another guy that taught me about the creative process, and how to fight adversity while keeping your artistic juices flowing.

And my newest musical inspiration, Jill Sobule. She is infectious, to say the least. Easy going, smart, funny, and insightful. If fact, you can download a free recording from Joe’s Pub in New York by going here:

http://www.jillsobule.com/home.html

Give it a shot, and if you like what you hear, order some CD’s from her site.

As for other performing arts, I will mention the two biggest influences.

Marcel Marceau, by far the most magical performer that I ever had the pleasure of watching.

Spalding Gray, one of my biggest heroes. If you don’t know who Spalding Gray was, you should find out--especially if you want to be a mentalist. The ultimate minimalist performer, and one of the best storytellers ever.

As for non-performers, the main one would probably be Carl Sagan. He taught me what the role of a teacher really is, and the lesson that I learned from him at the National Press Club will stay with me forever.

So there you have a brief list of people that always inspire me. If you don't know who some of them are, check them out.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4068 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Wow, thank you Rick.

That is quite a list, I was surprised that Houdini wasn't on it Smile

Thanks,
Mike
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
That really is a wonderful list, including the Lenny Bruce thread. I deeply appreciate the lives of almost everyone one on there. You have inspired me to take a closer look at Kristofferson who always intrigued me. He seemed to never let his education get in the way of his humanity. I'm sure you know what I mean. Thanks for reminding me of great people.
Bert
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
575 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings Bertrand,

Yeah, I certainly know what you mean about Kristofferson. Man, is he inspirational. He is certainly one of the greatest people that I have had the good fortune to experience, and his life has taught me so much.

Smart, dedicated, fearless, honest, reckless, caring, humble, and on occasion, just downright stupid--all of the things that make Kris one of the most human people that I have ever encountered. We could all learn a ton from him.

And, I quote him almost every single time that I am asked about what I do. I tell people that I am "a walking contradiction, partly truth, and partly fiction." ***, that man can write..

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » Creativity soundtrack » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL