The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Terry Elton sells some very realistic thumb tips. They're made from a very different material, are very flexible while still sturdy, comes in different flesh tones, and even has a thumb print. If you're looking for realistic, this is what you'd be looking for. At $30 though, I see no need in buying one (my $3 Vernet one works well the few times I need it).
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I do a routine with a super jumbo six inch glow-in-the-dark thumb tip that I actually stick in the nose of the spectator, and no one even notices!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I have to say, I don't understand the point of getting a "super realistic" thumb tip. Most of what makes a thumb tip work is psychological or deals with continuity of vision. Unless you're going to let people touch the thumb, I don't see the point.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Well, in my work, sometimes I do touch them with it. It's all about added security in the minority of the situation. I see no wrong with wanting to have extra security when it comes to doing the work. Anyway, we spend years of our lives working on making things like double lifts look more natural, even though the simple methods fly right by lay people. It's all about having the most natural and deceptive of material.

ATG
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Back in the early '90s, a friend of mine ran a magic shop in an indoor flea market in NJ. There was a group of regulars that hung out there on the weekends.

One day, a guy came by and asked my friend if he wanted to buy some TTs that he made. Not sure what he was asking, he asked to see the TTs. These were made of some type of fabric..."flesh" colored, stiff, yet with enough give so that it seemed to mold to and become a part of your thumb. The nail appeared to be made from the fake acrylic nails, except that it was dulled down a bit so they weren't super shiny. He must have thinned them down a bit too because you would think that these nails would just stick out, but they way these are crafted...well, it just looks so *** real.

He only had about a dozen, and us regulars bought him out.

To this day, this is my working TT. I bought three. I'm on my second one and have one more as a final backup. Don't know who this guy was, how he made them, or what fabric he used. I haven't been able to find it in any shops.

These are the best I've used.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
bigtyme
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bigtyme
I have to agree with the gents who don't concern themselves with either realism, or colour. About 10 years ago I was just starting in magic and went to a shop in Toronto where I asked for a realistic thumb tip. The gentleman behind the counter proceeded to perform for me the most beautiful silk vanish I'd ever seen. As I stood there awestruck he proceeded to show me his bright green thumbtip. A valuable lesson was learned that day. As long as you don't acknowledge it's there neither will your audience. For what it's worth, I'm a fairly tanned individual who uses a vernet tip.

As Doug Conn says, "Be nice, be interesting, be amazing."
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I use TT -- A LOT. Often I will do 2 hour gigs with just a few TT and what is available on the client/table. Why? Because I don't want to carry a lot of props and the TT still produces gasps.

Personally I like the Vernet, but I like to light it on fire and then hide it from the clients. This takes much more skill due to the light and smoke are easier to see. You also need to be more composed because burning plastic is pretty hot, but the scars are worth it (just try not to scream - it alerts the clients that you are using the burning TT). I still have a problem with smell, so I just say the chef must be burning something . . .

I was wondering how those bright green TT sell - they seem so practical . . . can you light them on fire? I go through a lot of TT.

Too much thinking within the box. Sure you can (and should) hide a TT, But why such pride in doing so? A realistic one is much more flexible, and there are not as much angle issues. I also adds to the mental assurance, allowing you to worry over one less thing. Why limit yourself? Sure a bicycle will get you where your going, but I usually drive a car.

Personally I am interested in what ATG is planning on doing.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have also seen the ones Terry E is selling. As I recall(that's a dangerous memory assumption) they were made in Israel..and in the very realistic ones if you are of the same ethnic/skin color..

That for something you describe would be crucial.

Not that it matters, but I use mine more like a dye tube and rarely have it on my thumb..Size is more important for this nearly normal guy than realism...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Hard Vernet forever.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I use a soft rubber thumb tip from Japan. It matches my hand and sixy realy good but that beeing said I have used al sorts of nonthumbtips as a thumb top. dusent matter for the audiense if used corectly. The great (late) Salvano did a lecture on thumb tip work with a neon green thumb tip and you still couldn't se the darn thing. I think stevens put it out on Video and now on DVD.

Ok but for the most realistic thumptip I had was one I had special made for me by a F/X make up guy. molded from my thump slightly enlarged and painted spesialy for me. It was a semi soft silicone tip but with a smal metal insert so I could do the vanishing lit cigaret.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Why is it whenever this topic comes up folks flock to tell the questioner that they are wrong headed. One person telling the questioner is enough.

When someone asks about a topit, no one advises using a flourescent orange topit. Boxes are often lined in black, etc.

What's wrong with trying to find a realistic TT? Dispense your advice then help the guy out.

So, I have a pretty realistic thumbtip but it is made of soft plastic. So it won't work all by itself, but it does fit over a large Vernet tip with just a little pushing. It might be a good solution and wasn't very expensive. Sorry, I don't remember who made it.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thumb tip color is really something that only beginners value. Once you have confidence in your magic it really is no longer a consideration. I have even used the tops off of glue sticks! (Yes, right out of the desk drawer.)

I like the longer thumb tips for manipulation. Tony Slydini taught many of his students how to use cigarette moves to manipulate other items including longer thumb tips, keys, dye tubes, etc. I've used it for years. For me it has been much more valuable than Paper Balls over the head.

In real life, I am very likely to use a brown ceramic gimmicked egg instead of a thumb tip. It also manipulates like a cigarette, holds up to 16 times the cargo of a thumb tip and I would much rather be caught with an egg than a thumb tip!

Otherwise, I use Vernet thumb tips. (And I buy over 100 at a time! Someday, the cleaners will ask what they are. LOL It still may take a while. I've been doing this 47 years!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
How are you guys performing with a green thumb tip where it is never actually seen!? Are you handling it like a dye tube or something!? Am I performing incorrectly with my thumb tip!? The tip of my thumb tip is seen by everyone but never noticed which requiers my audience be positioned in front of me.

Now, my dye tube is an entirely different story! It is truly a magician's secret weapon as there has been no exposure on this ancient thumb tip predecessor! I can perform silk productions, vanishes, color changes, etc. literally in their faces and completely surrounded!

Finally, thumb tips have absolutley no place in bill switches in my opinion. Try the bare handed bill switch weighing the pros and cons and it is likely that you will never return to a thumb tip method again.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
It's a matter of missdirection Smile
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Rmendez: I do the bill switch barehanded too, but I also use a TT for different effects. I find that if people see thew barehanded switch way more than once they have a tendency to really burn your hand, even grab it.

I find it amazing people will say "a pro does this or that". Pros do all sorts of things. I find it funny that anyone would saddle themselves with anything but a somewhat realistic thumb tip. I think it is ego.

Yes, you need to be able to misdirect, but why limit yourself? Much of what I do would not be nearly as good or impossible with a "green" TT.

Also, just because your audience does not say they see anything does not mean they don't. I often am working surrounded with people breathing down my neck - literally.

Funny story. I once saw a fellow magician demonstrate how the color doesn't matter. I didn't tell him it may be true, but not for him. I saw it in a reflection on his glasses. Also, he did not perform surrounded and up-close.

Note there are no unrealistic TTs for sale, as much as people say it doesn't matter, the bright red ones just don't seem to sell well . . . you have to paint them yourself.

There is so much more you can do with one - but I think the TT is one of the most under used magic props today. Typically at a restaurant I do a water pour, chain link, bill in dinner roll, miss made bill, paperclip link, streamer from shoe, sugar packet trick, key bending, mind reading (using it as a writing instrument), Paper tear, Hanky burn, leaking (squirting) glass, smoke from ears, and, of course the cigarette in to tie and occasionally a goldfish routine with a Beta. Can anyone name some other great routines?
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
I have nothing to prove and everything to win
using one of the several Vernet tips I have.
My fave is a hard extra long one that I at first
hated and feared. My "normal" tips are now just
used for back-up.

I use angles and movement, in natural ways,
to show "empty hands" and mess with minds.

Is a good thing, in general I think, to use
natural toned tips. Vernet is the best IMHO.
You can make your own with liquid latex and
lots of work, but why when great packages
come cheap?

I like having my hands wide open and in plain view,
red or green tips can be concealed, but call attention
to themselves in "fair" conditions.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Just to see what all the fuss was about, I purchased a FrediUp hyper-realistic thumb tip made of painted silicone. Long story short: the thing looked beautiful, but the outer thin layer of (latex?) paint peeled off just from taking the tip from my pocket. I tried to fix the thing but the whole tip split open. This particular silicone tip is WAY too delicate for real-world work (and it was not cheap). Also, doing the $100 bill switch was problematic because the silicone surface tended to grip onto the folded bill.

I went back to my dependible, and practically indestructible hard plastic Vernet, which I have never been "busted" on. Sometimes simpler is better.

Douglas M.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
The Vernet is trusty and reliable, but the TTs I really like (and use) are the hard vinyl ones made in Japan. The trouble is, the coloring isn't consistent from batch to batch, so buying them sight unseen can be a problem. So when I find some that are relatively close to my skin tone (like I did at the IBM/SAM convention last week), I buy a bunch of 'em.
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
This thread reminded me of something. There was a wonderful magician in Saint Louis named Harold D. Russell, who sadly, passed away last week. Besides being a wonderful performer, Harold D. was the first African-American Magician in Saint Louis.

While doing his act for magicians he'd get a nice round of applause for some effect, and then he'd smile, and wink, and give the magicians a thumb's up sign--exposing the white thumbtip they didn't see on his black thumb.

The first time I saw him do that I stopped worrying if my thumb tip was realistic enough.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 23:49, CaptainKid wrote:
Rmendez: I do the bill switch barehanded too, but I also use a TT for different effects. I find that if people see thew barehanded switch way more than once they have a tendency to really burn your hand, even grab it.

I find it amazing people will say "a pro does this or that". Pros do all sorts of things. I find it funny that anyone would saddle themselves with anything but a somewhat realistic thumb tip. I think it is ego.

Yes, you need to be able to misdirect, but why limit yourself? Much of what I do would not be nearly as good or impossible with a "green" TT.

Also, just because your audience does not say they see anything does not mean they don't. I often am working surrounded with people breathing down my neck - literally.

Funny story. I once saw a fellow magician demonstrate how the color doesn't matter. I didn't tell him it may be true, but not for him. I saw it in a reflection on his glasses. Also, he did not perform surrounded and up-close.

Note there are no unrealistic TTs for sale, as much as people say it doesn't matter, the bright red ones just don't seem to sell well . . . you have to paint them yourself.

There is so much more you can do with one - but I think the TT is one of the most under used magic props today. Typically at a restaurant I do a water pour, chain link, bill in dinner roll, miss made bill, paperclip link, streamer from shoe, sugar packet trick, key bending, mind reading (using it as a writing instrument), Paper tear, Hanky burn, leaking (squirting) glass, smoke from ears, and, of course the cigarette in to tie and occasionally a goldfish routine with a Beta. Can anyone name some other great routines?

I only use my TT for silk vanishes and reappearances and have yet to explore all of the other wonderful possibilities that I've only read about. My sentiments exactly regarding the use of a realistic looking TT. I certainly wouldn't handicap myself for no good reason. Especially over pride or ego.

I find the bare handed bill switch better with angles, far more deceptive and favorable to the TT approach. I believe you stand a much better chance of surviving a spectator actually grabbing your hand without a TT. Not only would you have exposed the bill switch but the silk vanish too! Ha ha ha ha ha!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL