The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » Risks? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
2113 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi Rick,
I hope that you are well my friend.
I wanted to ask your opinion on risk routines such as Russian Roulette, smash and stab and the likes, what do you feel about them in terms their pay off for performer and audience? Also have you any presentational things you would consider around them?

Thanks!
Ken Dyne
**NEW** 41+ Hard-Hitting Mentalism Routines For Stage and Close Up. My new book 'Bairn': http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
549 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings Ken,

Man, you may not realize it, but you have certainly stirred up a hornet's nest with your question... Smile

Sadly, my time is short this morning, so I will have to return to this thread later tonight, or possibly tomorrow. But I promise to give you my thoughts as soon as I get back to the computer.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
549 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings once again Ken,

Well, here we go…and this is where I will probably tick off a number of folks. But what the heck, I am only offering my honest opinion…

I have really come to passionately dislike all these horrible danger pieces. Sure, the audience may be compelled to watch, but so are the folks that stare are car crashes.

With credit to my good friends Docc Hilford and Bob Sheets, here is what all three of us have said about the recent popularity of the so-called smash and stab routines:

In short, they are either a dumb trick, or they are a jackass stunt.

First, if the effect is just a dumb trick, why bother? For example, when P&T did one of these pieces on The View, the reaction from the panel was terrible. In fact, one of the women actually said, “Who cares, it’s just a dumb trick.” Now, I realize that The View is usually not a source worth quoting, but as annoying as those women are, they have a huge audience that identifies with them. So if the members of the panel thought that the routine was nothing but a dumb trick, I believe that a number of people that watch the show probably felt the same way.

And second, if the effect is for real, then it is nothing more than a jackass stunt--but if that is the case, then such effects are not even as compelling as when that show had a midget in a diaper that was riding down an escalator in shopping cart. Now that was compelling! So if you are competing with "entertainment" like that, and all you are going to do is one of those silly smash and stab stunts, once again, why bother?

And to make things worse, we now have the completely disrespectful trend of endangering (whether for real or not) a member of the audience instead of the performer. Just when it seemed that magic or mentalism couldn’t get any lower, this stupid craze revealed its hideous face.

So here is my opinion in a nutshell: If your show needs an element of danger to be compelling, then your show is simply not compelling--and that is the problem that needs to be addressed.

I have talked to a number of performers from around the world, and I have only heard of one “spike” routine that made any sense at all, and it also had a wonderful sense of theater--and that piece belonged to Simon Lovell.

Other than that, everyone else just says, “The effect plays great.” Well, to me, that is not enough. First off, the effect often becomes larger than the performer, which is not a good thing. And second, high-paying clients do not usually want their audiences to be subjected to such things. That is why these danger routines are not that popular in places like the corporate market.

Sure, NBC executives may want people to do this crap on TV, but those are the same people that are responsible for the rest of the “lowest common denominator” style of programming that floods the airwaves.

And finally, to those that are favor of the danger routines, I respect your opinions, and I hope you can respect mine. After all, remember that opinions are like internet connections--everybody has one. Smile So let's simply agree to disagree.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » Risks? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.082815 seconds, requiring 20 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [2] [0] [7] [3] [8] [7] [4]