The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » The message and the evolving character » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
In several of your responses you have mentioned "the message that I deliver during my show" and the character that continues to evolve. What is the message that you deliver? And, how would you describe your character and what is invovled in your shoe? Thanks
Always in motion is the future
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
547 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Well, the basic message of my show is that a person shouldn't believe something just because they think that they have seen it. I can demonstrate a number of seemingly "paranormal" abilities, but that still doesn’t make any of them real. Simply put, people should make decisions with their head, not with their heart.

As for my character, it is certainly an extension of who I am in real life, but there is also a bit of hyperbole added in for flavor. (Actually, now that I think about it, there are quite a few times that I am a bit more hyperbolic in life than on the stage, but I digress…)

But while we are touching on the subject of my show, some folks may find it interesting that I do an entire performance of mentalism and I never read minds. Nor do I bend metal, or perform drawing duplications, or do Q&A, or most other things exist in the majority of mentalism shows.

Now, please don’t assume that I am saying that any of that stuff is bad, because it certainly isn’t. The simple truth is that none of it really fits what I do. On stage, my character can control the thoughts, decisions, and physical actions of others. That is it. And I spend the evening exploring those three basic concepts.

I don’t know if that answers your questions, so if you would like for me to cover a few more specific points, just say the word.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Rick,
I think you touched on this subject as well when you lectured in Memphis. It was one of the best lectures I've ever attended.As I recall your introductory remarks mentionned what you would and would not be doing during the performance. Can you expound abit here? Thanks.
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Mr. Maue
This seems to be different than some of your effects that you have released. Would you expound upon what effects you do in your show to demonstrate that you can " control the thoughts, decisions, and physical actions of others"? Thanks
Barney
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
547 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Barney,

I will answer your question first because it is a bit easier (and I am running out of time this evening--but Magicmike1949, I promise to get to your question tomorrow).

My show is not made up of all of the pieces that I have released over the years. Many of my creations involve themes, techniques, and effects that I may no longer use. However, don't forget, I have been doing this stuff for a number of decades, so I have pieces that no longer fit the theme of my current show. (And don't forget, I also have pieces that I use in "life situations" but not in my actual show.)

With that said, my show currently consists of things like:

Heads & Tales (which is my opener, and it is in my MV2006 Lecture Notes, and in the upcoming Occam's Magic)

Group Dynamic (which can be found in the same publications as above)

FATE (which is another one of our releases)

Intermission (which is an open-prediction style effect--and it is in my new RAW lecture notes)

Leftover Stories To Tell (which can be found in the same publications as Heads & Tales, and this piece demonstrates how I can directly control the physical actions of audience members)

And there are several more pieces, but they are currently unpublished.

All of the pieces mentioned above demonstrate that I can control the decisions of the audience. In some cases, I am simply controlling their thoughts and their choices. In other cases, I am apparently controlling their physical actions as well.

I hope that answers your question. If you need me to clarify anything, just say the word.

Keep the change,
Rick

barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Thank you very much for the answer and for the time that you have devoted to being the quest here. I hope my fate will be all that I imagine. Thanks again.

Barney
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
547 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
And finally, I will now try to get back to your question Magicmike. (But before I do, thanks for your comment about my lecture being one of the best that you have ever attended. That means quite a lot to me.)

Now, let me begin by saying that I am not 100% sure if I understand exactly what you are asking, but I will give it a shot.

I think that my response to Barney actually covered much of your question. In short, I try to define my character--and what my character can do--for the audience. Like I mentioned above, my character controls the thoughts, decisions, and physical actions of others. That is basically it.

Now, that may seem a bit restrictive to some, but it certainly is not. If you think about it, I can still utilize the majority of standard mentalism effects if I wanted to, but I would merely have to adjust the scripting and the premise. Let me give you an example.

I do not perform a drawing duplication in my show. After all, my character doesn't read minds, so it wouldn't really make sense. However, what if my character controlled the audience assistant to think of a specific image, and then she drew that image on her sketchpad? Simply put, I could perform a drawing duplication, but it would not presented in the standard way. The basic effect would still be that we both drew the same image, but the premise of how, and why, everything happened would certainly be different.

Or, how about something that I actually do? For example, when I perform my piece FATE, I am controlling the decisions of the four participants. I control which poker chip that each person chooses, and I even control where each person stands on the stage. So that fits my basic premise. However, others would simply change the premise and make the entire piece a standard prediction effect.

So yes, there are certainly things that I will or will not do in my performances--but most of that actually relates to premise.

I hope that answers your question. If not, just say the word and I will try again.

Keep the change,
Rick

Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Yes it does and thanks. Considering how many lectures I've attended over the years my earlier comment was meant as high praise, and I'm glad you took it that way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » The message and the evolving character » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.090348 seconds, requiring 36 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [1] [0] [0] [4] [6] [1] [5]