The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » The infamous poker chip » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Okay, Rick. I perform Heads or Tales and have included the poker chip in the envelope for the reasons explained in the manuscript. Now, what the heck am I going to do with it later in the show to justify its existence? Will I have to wait for Occam's Magic to answer that question?
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Well, Occam's Magic will certainly provide you with several pieces that you can use because three of my closers are found there. But, without having to wait, just take a moment to consider some other possibilities. Although the following ideas are not what I currently do, they may get your creative process energized.

Maybe you can introduce a series of poker chips that differ in color from your target chip, and somehow be led to it after they have all been sealed in envelopes and mixed around.

Or, you can have the chip circulated around the audience, and your job would be to locate which member of the audience that has it. (I have actually done this, and it is actually quite good. In fact, I have been debating whether or not to release it.)

Or, what if you used something other than a poker chip? Like, how about another coin? Then you could go into a piece with a money theme.

Another idea that I have used quite often was to use the medallion that I use in formal situations to perform my piece, The Final Picture. (This is something that I have done in a number of my séance performances over the past few years.)

In short, don't be locked in to the idea of using a poker chip--that is just what I use because it fit the theme, and the closer, in my show.

I hope these ideas help. Let me know what you come up with.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Thanks. I have the final picture and had thought about using that. I was alittle concerned about the spectator taking a premature look at the other side.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
My suggestion is to simply change the blocking of the piece so that they do not handle it. By doing so, you will not have any problems.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Magicmike1949,

"Now, what the heck am I going to do with it later in the show to justify its existence?"

Here's an idea I've been kicking around after getting Rick Maue's Fate routine. Why not have the poker chips customized with your logo and contact information, and give them to the audience members that assist in your routines like Heads or Tails and/or Fate.

Just a thought.

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2008 entrée: Rick Maue » » The infamous poker chip » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL