The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strolling Mentalism (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Cybersloughter
I know there have been a lot of discussions about where, when, and how people perform their acts and their favorite effects, but I am looking for something that I can apply personally.

I'm currently looking at changing my act up a bit. Traditionally when I do anything strolling, I use coins, maybe some cards, I'll do a cent** te** and possibly use my ET. I'm wanting to increase my repetoire of strolling mentalism, but I'm on a fairly tight budget.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

For my style, I'm a little dark, as my picture somewhat shows. I love my WA from Outlaw, and I get great enjoyment out of a Corrinda CT with a Houchin/Banachek "Stigmata" reveal. I could most likely still use my flipper coin with a coins across or vanishing coins routine. I've given thought to a "Thought Transmitter" or Pe** wallet.

How many of you stroll/table hop and what do you do?

JLJ
James L. Johnson

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

... a rigmarole with a few bits of paper and lots of spiel. That is Mentalism
- Corinda
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Strolling mentalism is my favourite and most frequent venue. I obviously use the material that is in my books and on my DVD. I usually have at least one electronic effect with me as well. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I also use primarily my own work for strolling. You can get a copy of my book SAD (Simple & Direct) from Alakazam
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
Hi James,

I recommend having a good re-read of 13 Steps and Annemann if you want to spruce up the walk around repertoire. It's surprising, you can find 2 or 3 different effects that will give your character a whole new feel for the evening. It just takes a bit of hunting.

Jason.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
SAD is a very good book !
get it Smile
Mobile mentalism from Mark Strivings it's also good.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Let’s see for strolling on a budget.
Devils Doorway – Can be used for many different effects and you can make your own after you have the needed items.
A deck of Vernet ESP cards- Can be used for many different effects.
Learn a good impromptu book test; maybe even carry a few books around for that.
Learn a bank night type of effect.
You have the Outlaw tarot cards coming so they will come in handy.
Learn a good watch effect.
I think you have S2 if you do there is a ton of things you can do with that. And S3.1 is due out soon so keep your eye out for that.

that's just a few off the top of my head.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
You use the CT already and are considering a pe** wallet ?

I recommend also finding a pe** which suits your style as an additional method. I am toying with the phoenix at the moment and acidus novus comes very highly recommended.

A drawing duplication works very well in close up situations and is something I personally really enjoy performing. Check out this thread

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

for some great options for this routine

I have been getting very good reactions from Banachek's ring of truth routine recently so that might be something to check out.

I'm sure there are loads more

all the best

Vai
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Since Cybersloughter now has the requisite number of posts to go down stairs, shouldn't this discussion be moved there? There are already several versions of this thread down there…

I, for one, don't want to put this type of information in a public accessable location. Smile

Tony
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I don't know why it took me so long to finally do it but Pocket Writing is my new obsession. Quick, Fast, Direct and a Killer.
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Miikka
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
160 Posts

Profile of Miikka
Par-optic vision
RGM
CT or peek with Luke Jermay's Burst bubble suggestion
Pulse stop
and of course Seven from Bryn Reynold's new book.

Here is some I use, hope you might get some ideas out of those.

P. S. You could also do some metal bending
jackcurtis
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of jackcurtis
I'll also big up S.A.D, some very nice ideas in there.

I was recently booked for a strolling event and took nothing more than a deck of playing cards, a pack of E.S.P cards, a pen and some business cards. It was so nice to not have to lug a bag of props about with me and the night was really successful.

Peek wallets are great but I rarely use mine at paid performances, I tend to use mine (which I constructed myself) in the spur of the moment; those unexpected "do something" scenarios. I tend to use more devious (and natural) peeking methods when strolling. Larry Becker has some nice sneaky peeking ideas.

In regards to your tight budget- get yourself some good books! I still haven't delved into the world of expensive electronics simply because I have had no need. There are some killer gizmo's out there don't get me wrong but they are by no means necessary and will not make you a better mentalist.

Keep things simple. Some of the best reactions at the event I spoke of above were from ideas applied from Psychological Subtleties- psychological forces applied to a win win scenario. PM me for inspiration.

You say you are a "dark" performer. Why not try some morbid self abuse like blockhead- hammering a nail up your nose (perhaps not appropriate for people about to eat a meal but hey).
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Cybersloughter
Well, I have a few books already. I am an avid reader and was an English Major in college.

Ace, I do have S2, but so far I have only used it in parlour or living room settings. I do tend to be a little dark, but I don't think I want to try some of the bizzarist in a walk around setting.

Yes, I do a cent*** te**, but I wouldn't mind having the versatility of a pe** wallet to be able to keep things varied.

I bought my ET sometime last year and have enjoyed it, but things are a little tighter right now then they were then (just changed jobs) and that is why I am looking for some budget minded effects/books/etc.. I have been performing magic as an amateur for some time now, and I have been looking at trying to go professional (or at least make some money to buy new magic with) and as my wife told me recently, I have found my niche in magic with mentalism. I just had never given much thought to the idea of strolling mentalism.

There are some events coming up in my town where strolling magic would work wonderfully and I was hoping to do a bit of strolling mentalism as a bit of a test for myself and to hopefully get myself known a bit better.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, I'm going to be doing some research now...

JLJ
James L. Johnson

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

... a rigmarole with a few bits of paper and lots of spiel. That is Mentalism
- Corinda
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 17:05, Miikka wrote:

Here is some I use, hope you might get some ideas out of those.

Thanks so much for the mention of SEVEN!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
You should enjoy the effects I e-mailed you, they work well for strolling.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Sad is good. Happy is better. Sorry looch couldn't not say it. SAD is really simple and direct, well worth every penny.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Street Cents by Andrew Gerard is an excellent addition to strolling mentalism, IMHO.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
An often overlooked walkaround effect from Jay Sankey's Boris DVD is a no gimmick business card design dupe. I've used it great effect... and it's nearly impromptu... just need your business cards...

With a certain type of ring, you can pull off a few nice tricks... from stopping time on a watch to do some other nifty tricks.
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Quote:
On 2008-05-06 00:44, JohnCressman wrote:
An often overlooked walkaround effect from Jay Sankey's Boris DVD is a no gimmick business card design dupe. I've used it great effect... and it's nearly impromptu... just need your business cards...

With a certain type of ring, you can pull off a few nice tricks... from stopping time on a watch to do some other nifty tricks.

does it compare with alain nu one????
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
A Wizard Ring , Banachek's PS1 and PS2 , together with Mark Strivings Mobile Mentalism 1 & 2 makes a fantastic combination for strolling Mentalism .
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2008-04-29 17:05, Miikka wrote:
Par-optic vision
RGM
CT or peek with Luke Jermay's Burst bubble suggestion
Pulse stop

Thanks for the mention of SEVEN, Miikka!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strolling Mentalism (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL