The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Creative illusions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
Who is "creative illusions"? I see their stuff on the magic auction all the time and it looks pretty cool. I've never heard of them before.

Thanks,

magic mike
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Creative Illusions was a company based in Las Vegas in the 90's and formed by Ken Whittaker(sp) and Paul Haynes. When Ken died the company folded. As far as I know some of their props are being built with authorization by Bill Smith at Magic Ventures.

Hope that helps,
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
You forgot to mention the infamous "Spellbinder" show that had previews in Vegas a few years back. This was a project that Paul Haynes produced. Everything from the concept to the props. There was a band, huge props and lots of pyro. I wasn't lucky enough to be there ... but, I heard it was very interesting.

I wish I got a T-shirt ...

Steve
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I remember seeing Whittaker demonstrate his "impalement" illusion concept in his garage in Los Angeles some years ago. He had great ideas and is sadly missed.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
Chezaday, the show ended up being called As Worlds Collide and was billed as the worlds largest show. With the show planned to travel in 6 semi trailers and the tallest prop toping out at 22 feet tall I am sure it would have held that title for many years.

Some of you may know I had the pleasure of doing the art direction for many of the illusions in that show. Death Saw, Crusher, Appearance/Levitation Tower just to name a few.

This is an example of not all dreams come but if you don’t try you will never know.

Lance
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
The show ever go out on the road at all?

I remember you sharing me the art direction you did for the show and it was some dang cool stuff.

Best
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Unfortunately the show was a total disaster, with spectators starting to leave after several minutes...

Regards,

D
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
You're killing me ... where can I get a T-shirt from the show?? I know they had them .. they're sitting in someones garage right now.

Someone help me out here ...

Steve
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
I heard about As Worlds Collide. It was in the Aladdin Performing Arts Theater. Too bad it wasn't a success. I can tell you that 6 semi trailers would be nowhere near close to the "world's largest show." The world's largest shows travel with more than 3 times that number of semi trailers.

--Jack Smile
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
My roll. I'm not sure what happened to the show, has anyone heard of anything with it getting overseas? Did anyone here see it?

As Lance pointed out, he did the art direction for these pieces. I will never forget walking into Paul's warehouse with Lance and seeing these pieces, felt like Tom Thumb I think. Paul put a lot of work and design into them and they were very impressive in concept and scale. For Lance & I, seeing Lance's artwork towering 22 feet above of us was equally as cool. Paul was very nice to us and we hung out and talked with him awhile.

It was a monumental undertaking I'm sure and I am not brave enough to attempt holding that kind of ship together. We all know what it feels like to promise something and get the scared "shxxless feeling" in the process. Win, lose or draw you still have to be left standing in the end. I wish him the best.

BTW Chezaday, the T-shirts were just as big as the illusions. Definitely a theme you know. So probably not stored in a garage, somewhere Ty Pennington from Extreme Make-Over is about to pull one off a house.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
bp
View Profile
Regular user
ENGLAND
168 Posts

Profile of bp
So what happened to the show, illusions and Paul???
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Paul has been MIA from what I have heard. I spoke to him about a year and a half ago about the no boxes sawing in half which I wanted; he said he is mostly now building props for shows. I've seen a few illusions pass by on magicauction.
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
Does anyone have a contact number for him?
PARKERSWANN
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of PARKERSWANN
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 09:42, MagicMichealMan wrote:
Who is "creative illusions"? I see their stuff on the magic auction all the time and it looks pretty cool. I've never heard of them before.

Thanks,

magic mike

Ok so this has been asked BEFORE. As to who Creative Illusions is or is now. Are they still in business? I am seeing soo many props out there for sale as by C.I now. Are these from the Worlds Collide Show ?
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
All the big stuff on the Magic Auction was from that show..And Creative illusions.

I heard that Star did a lot of art design also... Not sure.

The last I heard about Paul Haynes is he's dropped out and is kinda drifting.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
ChadFindlay
View Profile
New user
South Africa
8 Posts

Profile of ChadFindlay
Check out the awesome trailer:

http://fliiby.com/file/383204/d8dkdc1q97.html

Makes me want to grow my hair out and get a perm!
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Oh my! That is SOOOO BAD!!
MagicMax7
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
33 Posts

Profile of MagicMax7
I consider it one of the greatest thrills of my life to be able to say that I saw that show. A truly spectacular mess for which there are no words. So much money...so many props...so much pyro...so much hair. By the end only about 10% of the audience remained (no, I'm not joking. And we're talking about one of the largest theaters in the world.) And most of those who were left were magicians filled with morbid curiosity. I hate criticizing other performers and I'm sure Paul is a nice guy (although we've never met), but it was truly the worst magic show I've ever seen. The Aladdin gave away tickets to the show and received so many complaints (from people who saw the show FOR FREE!) that they actually sent a notice to the newspaper explaining how they had nothing to do with the show and had no plans to let it run there. I so wish I had bought a tee-shirt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Creative illusions (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL