We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Tim Trono's "Branded" - The Painless Card Blister (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..31~32~33 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-13 02:31, Tim Trono wrote:
Big Blind Media is about to come out with a SMOKING new deck of cards (looks great!) and part of it has the 3H for Branded taken into consideration. Watch for it coming soon.

Tim

Here's the Big Blind link for the deck:
http://bigblindmedia.com/karnival.htm
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Msrs. Trono & Kavanagh:

In final response to your posts of 9/11.

Please don’t put words in my mouth. While I did refer to “teens to 20s” I don’t recall using the phrase “giggling teenagers” in my post. I would also have thought that anyone who read my comments regarding Mr. Strebler carefully would have discerned that I was not criticizing his choice of either his look, style or persona. It is clear from the video (and I thought from my comments) that it is perfectly suited to both his style and the audience seen in the video and for street performing in many urban areas. I would expect that it also plays well in Las Vegas, and/or Hollywood. Nonetheless I think it safe to say that, except for the college crowd, it would not play well in the Washington, DC society or corporate and association markets with which I am most familiar.

I have not criticized the quality of the Branded prop, suggested that it doesn’t function as intended, or denied that it is a clever trick. I have simply expressed, albeit in stronger terms than might have been necessary, my OPINION regarding its effectiveness as a demonstration of mentalism vs. that of the “classic” blister effect. It is obvious from the posts on the thread to which I was responding that mine is a minority opinion -- a fact that I have readily and consistently acknowledged. My intention is not to assert that those whose opinions differ from mine are wrong or persuade them to change their minds -- it is merely to offer an alternative view for consideration which readers are free to accept of reject as they wish. I am delighted that Branded is such a success and have not taken you up on your offer to send me one because, as you have no doubt surmised, it’s just not consistent with my presentation.

I am sorry that expressing an opinion that is contrary to yours is something you find so disagreeable and have no desire to compound the offense by continuing this discussion.
Dick Christian
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mr. Christian, you are giving a view, not a review. In either case, you want to prevent folks from offering their responses under the guise that you are being treated unfairly by voicing your view and that is not the case. You just want to be able to say anything you want, be a snob and have everyone accept it. You don't get to do that, no matter ho much you try to "spin" what others are saying in response to you.

And you are offering speculation when you say "Nonetheless I think it safe to say that, except for the college crowd, it would not play well in the Washington, DC society or corporate and association markets with which I am most familiar".

How do you know? Tim Trono offered to send you a Branded© and instead of accepting and trying it out, you instead decide to not try it and still take the stand "it’s just not consistent with my presentation".

You can't say it won't work, when you won't try it. It comes off that you are afraid to try it and be proved wrong.

Mr. Christian, even when giving opinions, 2+2 has to equal 4. Your posts do not and looking at the list Professionals that are using Branded©, you are in the minority.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone else using the voodoo card trick that Greg Wilson teaches on the DVD? I think it's so strong because the magic is in their hands.

Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I received 2 ideas with Branded from my friend Keith Barry in Ireland. Keith will be performing a run soon at Planet Hollywood (Stomp Out Loud Showroom) in Las Vegas starting late October. Be sure to check it out if you are in or can get in to Vegas. Also, make sure you look up Keith's TV shows... some GREAT magic.

Keith has been USING Branded in his professional work. He has allowed me to share a couple of ideas he is doing (though if you decide to try either you do so at your own risk as the first one can be dangerous and I wouldn't recommend doing it).

In Keith's own words:

"I put a small amount of lighter fluid on cotton wool inside a small sealed container which has a small slit in the top to allow access, but will still prevent the gas from evaporating too quickly. Anyway, I'm sure you're way ahead of me now - I dip my fingers in, 'brand' myself [get the blister via Branded]- and actually set my fingers on fire for just a second. This alone gets a great response, then when I show them the card they go crazy..

My other thought was to use branded in conjunction with Electric Touch - instead of the blisters appearing because of a burn they appear from a shock 'during the transmission of the thought of card' between the magician and the spectator."

I love the idea with the Electric Touch. I'm thinking about this with Morgan's presentation.

Thanks to Keith Barry!

Tim
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of toberman
As Tim suggested a few posts back, I just watched the Robert Parrish Card Force on the Al Mann Lecture DVD from Lybrary.com. It's extremely clever and clean looking and makes a great combination with Branded.

Terry
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
One other force to consider if Mark Mason's Attitude Force taught on his Real World Magic DVD set. This DVD set and his Decade DVD set have some GREAT material. This force mentioned looks like the Classic Force but is sure fire. It's great.

Tim
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Keith Barry's idea is another example of taking this a step further.

For anyone unfamiliar with Mark mason's "Attitude Force" it is as Tim says, essentially the Classic Force. It has all the fairness of that force, but Mark takes advantage of human conditioning to improve the chances of the right card being chosen. It's extremely clever. I'm surprised more isn't mentioned about it.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-13 02:31, Tim Trono wrote:
Big Blind Media is about to come out with a SMOKING new deck of cards (looks great!) and part of it has the 3H for Branded taken into consideration. Watch for it coming soon.

Tim

Tim, anything you can share about this new deck?

Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I have only seen pictures as the decks don't come in until late October but they look phenomenal. Owen Packard of Big Blind Media is a fan of Branded so advised he had worked in something on the design....

Tim
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
There's some talk about the new deck here in Latest and Greatest:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&12

Liam Montier ( the very talented fellow on the Wicked World Of Liam Montier UltraViolet DVD's ) got to play with one and loves them.

Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 10:18, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
There's some talk about the new deck here in Latest and Greatest:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&12

Liam Montier ( the very talented fellow on the Wicked World Of Liam Montier UltraViolet DVD's ) got to play with one and loves them.

Liam has released DVDs through BBM so I'm not surprised he loves them!
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Paul Harris and I had a long, interesting talk today. During our talk, Paul brought up a very interesting point about Branded. Paul felt that many people can't make it believable that they actually burned their fingers creating a blister. I'd probably agree. This is why Patrick Wolford's idea can really come into play. When I was developing Branded, Patrick, Greg Wilson, Koz, and I sat around in Vegas and discussed ideas. Patrick's idea was that you discuss the fact that you burned yourself a few days ago. AS you are talking about this you openly (but secretly) get the round blisters. You show the blisters. This makes it so you don't have to TRY to ACT as you've apparently already had the blisters. People are familiar with the standard round blister so all of this is believable. You can then go into any of the ideas... you can wave the flame from the lighter between your finger and thumb pretending it is morphing the blisters as you advise "look, can you see it change" (if they say yes which they often will it makes it even stronger) or do Andy Amyx's idea of writing on the paper and burning it causing that to morph the blisters or do Morgan Strebler's idea of the blister morphing in their mind as you touch their head and show them it has indeed morphed. What is great about Patrick's idea is that it also speeds up the routine... you are not first burring yourself in front of them to get the round blister. It also makes it so you don't have to try to sell that you are burning yourself.

Tim
omeech
View Profile
New user
London, UK
63 Posts

Profile of omeech
OK, I received by Branded package from Tim at the weekend, and guess what? Yep, I love it too!

As well as all the reasons already mentioned, it's just a really good quality product - a rare thing these days. The gimmicks, the DVD, heck - even the music on the DVD is great.

Plus, Tim has really thought everything through. you can tell by his thorough responses on this thread.

A few things I've been thinking about with Branded:
- Thought of card blister: since the numbers used on the lighter gimmick are quite psychologically popular, you could have them stare into the flame and call out number from 1 to 10, then call out a suit. if they say 3 or 7, make the impression and show it. if they say some other number just use an invisible deck or make a joke out of getting it wrong.
- Blister on spectator's finger: I don't know how but it'd be very cool to press it onto their skin without them realising it or under cover of pressing on something else.
- Waving fingers: just like in the twirl change, you can wave your fingers back and forth and slowly them down to people's eyes slowly adjust to the change.
- In their fist: combine Branded with Ashes in the Palm - mark their palm, show the standard blister, get the card blister impression, have them hold your finger in their fist, wave the flame under their fist, yank out your finger as if burnt and show the changed blister, then have them open their hands to see the ash.

OK, I'll stop brainstorming!

One last thing - if you haven't already, buy it.
--
Oliver Meech
Creator of Drawn In, The Plot Thickens and Plot Twists
"wildly creative" Genii Online
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Hi Oliver. Thanks for the kind words and great ideas. I also have played with the wave change (basically using something similar to Garrett Thomas' Ring Thing with the round/card blister so it transforms visibly). I like your idea especially of the ashes.

BTW if you have not seen Oliver's book The Plot Thickens then buy it. he's got some great ideas. I have been crazy busy lately but am going through it and playing with some of the many excellent ideas.

If you have any questions, concerns, etc,. let me know Oliver. Also, don't overlook the voodoo card trick on the DVD - gets a great reaction far out of proportion to the easy method.

Thanks again.

Tim
omeech
View Profile
New user
London, UK
63 Posts

Profile of omeech
Thanks for the generous words, Tim. Btw, if anyone wants to check out the book, it's on my website (see my signature below).

I've got a gig coming up in a couple of weeks and can't wait to unleash the voodoo trick! I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it easily repeatable. My first three thoughts were -
1) a dedicated deck with 26 cards pre-burnt.
2) pairs of mates, one burnt and one not, in a separate pocket then adding a pair to the deck each time.
3) duplicates of the mate of the burnt card so you always use the same voodoo card.

But I'd love to hear what other people think - how would you approach it?
--
Oliver Meech
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-24 05:52, omeech wrote:
Thanks for the generous words, Tim. Btw, if anyone wants to check out the book, it's on my website (see my signature below).

I've got a gig coming up in a couple of weeks and can't wait to unleash the voodoo trick! I'm just wondering if there's a way to make it easily repeatable. My first three thoughts were -
1) a dedicated deck with 26 cards pre-burnt.
2) pairs of mates, one burnt and one not, in a separate pocket then adding a pair to the deck each time.
3) duplicates of the mate of the burnt card so you always use the same voodoo card.

But I'd love to hear what other people think - how would you approach it?

Oliver, the Voodoo Card trick is one of my all time favorite effects to perform. I do it with a signed card. Tim was kind enough to post it on the Branded site:

http://brandedmagic.com/page/2/

Chris

omeech
View Profile
New user
London, UK
63 Posts

Profile of omeech
Excellent thinking Chris - I love the idea of the burn over the signature.
--
Oliver Meech
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1108 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Chris' idea of adding signatures to the Voodoo Card effect is GREAT! It really makes it almost a test condition effect and is the perfect start to Branded. I actually do it from the BACK of the deck using a double backer and the burned card. Not sure why but I just prefer this. Thus I (apparently) sign the back of the card (actually the DB card) and flip it over and they sign the face (they are signing the pre singed/burned card). It's kind of like I have shown them what to do as I sign the back and they then sign the face. I then show the back again, the face again, and I have them use one finger to slide off the card off the deck and cover it with their hand. I then take out the mate and go through the voodoo thing. I have DBs and singed cards in my pocket and I just add in.

Tim
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2591 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Here's an idea for restaurant workers where fajita's are served. When the waiter brings out the fajita's, they are usually on a cast iron skillet that is ridiculously hot! using the Leidenfrost Effect, you'll be able to pinch the skillet and then immediately show the blisters. No I'm not saying that you'll get blisters from grabbing the skillet either. You'll truly grab the skill, but will not be burned. Please research the Leidenfrost Effect to ensure your safety! Below is the definition of the Leidenfrost Effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

p.s. lick your fingers first!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Tim Trono's "Branded" - The Painless Card Blister (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..31~32~33 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL