The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Brainwave vs. Potassy Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
This is more of a presentational question than a method question. I know the differences between the 2 decks. Which do you think is the better effect and why? What is your presentation for the one you use? What does the different color back in Brainwave add to the effect? How do you explain it in your patter? I know this has been discussed some before and any reference to links would also be appreciated. I can't seem to find them through the search engine.
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
I use the different colored back as part of a "jump card" using a Boris Wild deck. I use the Wild deck to get a free selection then return it to the deck, display the card with a different colored back, and explain that I've made the card jump to one of the decks sitting on the table in full view the whole time. I let the audience pass around the card from the brainwave deck looking at it, and that gives me a misdirection to make the original card disappear from from the wild deck which they can then examine and see that their original selection has in fact gone away.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I have found some discussion under Secret Sessions titled Brainwave/Invisible Deck, but the topic is locked. Also in Gaffed and Funky under Brainwave Ideas.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I don't know if you have read his book, but there are at least his thoughts in the Magic of Paul Potassy.

At least from his stand-point, one of the questions that gets needs to be answered is: Do you want to repeat the effect immediately? For Paul, the answer is yes. He feels that it makes the effect that much stronger, and is one of the reasons he has made the choice on the construction.

RevJohn
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Thanks RevJohn. I don't have his book yet, but I recall him talking about this on one of his videos. It's a good point. I'm somewhat bothered by why the color of the card needs to be different in the traditional Brainwave. I know the arguments for it takes away the sleight of hand hypothesis, but I'm not sure that's all that strong an argument. It seems like an unnecessary kicker to me in most instances. If someone can tell me why it makes the trick stronger I'd like to read it.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I kind of think that Potassy would say that a different colored card can lead to the same amount of questions as if you did the effect Potassy's way, but only once. (The questions would be different, but still be there).

He does it twice so that it starts to cancel out some of those questions.

Perhaps Vernon has some write up on the thinking behind the different colored card ending. Isn't it Vernon who popularized the different colored card in the brainwave deck concept? (Not sure on this but seem to remember that being the case).

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Brainwave vs. Potassy Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL