The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It does open some nice possibilities with a person a bit more skilled than the guy on the video.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-06-28 16:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
Everyone, your search is over. I just found the BEST torn and restored newspaper effect, and it's FREE:

Here: http://www.revver.com/video/295903/torn-......evealed/

I love you all.

I already know what some of who are thinking. The answer is "no", that was not me on the video.
Lurp
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Lurp
Andrew Mayne's Tear Down is awesome. 100% impromptu and it can be inspected before AND after the effect; it can also be signed...actually better to have it signed. Based on Jim Steinmeyer’s Incessant NEWSPAPER (with his permission).

I didn't really belive it was going to be all that easy but it is. No duplicates, no gimmicks & no tape. Simple to do and worth the 14.99 price tag over at Hocus-Pocus.

And no I don't work for the guy I just love what he has done with the effect.

Lurp
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I love the Gene Anderson version with a couple of complaints. It takes a while to prepare and it failed on me once. The cement did not hold when I did the restoration and the ripped newspaper fell to the floor. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect the newspaper was the reason (maybe too old). I was hoping this thread held a new improved method or version. I like Andrew Mayne so I'm curious if others like his as much as Lurp does.
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 11:24, wmhegbli wrote:
Everything Magic Makers sells is only a copy and sometimes a poor copy. I dought you will be getting the Anderson version competely, as they do change things a little.

Im don't usually defeat something unless the product has proven to be great, but In my opinion the videos are well done, with nice shots and Ben Salinas is a good magician and a nice person.
Anyway there are a lot of products that are not only copies as you said like the bill in kiwi by Carl Cloutier or The art of card splitting to name two of them.
All of us should take care of naming those descalifitions, and of course we should be banned telling things that are quite harmful to the economy of people that are working and of course working hard.
Mr Anderson's version of the effect is very nice but it not belongs completely to him as has some reminiscences from other sources.

D
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Tear Down has a whole thread of its own, search the Café.

Walt
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I have the Torn & Restored Newspaper Illusion DVD with Ben Salinas, and after getting this DVD I felt no need to buy any other. The DVD quality is very good and Ben is very clear and concise. Nine different methods are explained. I did not like all of them, but that's not a bad thing.I prefer the Slydini above any other method because it looks best in my opinion. I have also purchased other video's from MM and have no complaints at all. I understand why some have problems with MM, but I'm glad I purchased this DVD.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 13:11, MrFye wrote:
I love the Gene Anderson version with a couple of complaints. It takes a while to prepare and it failed on me once. The cement did not hold when I did the restoration and the ripped newspaper fell to the floor. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect the newspaper was the reason (maybe too old). I was hoping this thread held a new improved method or version. I like Andrew Mayne so I'm curious if others like his as much as Lurp does.

I've done the Anderson Tear for 35 years, with a few of my own modifications. If the glue didn't stick, it's not Gene's fault, nor is it the newspaper's fault. You either did not apply the glue correctly or the newspaper was dirty. You can't glue to dirt. Another thing that sometimes happens is that you glue your r_______ p_____ to a loose piece of newspaper. That's a real awakener!

You don't really know the trick until you have discovered all the possible ways to mess it up. Trust me on this. I have added something that I borrowed from Jay Marshall, that allows me to perform this thing practically surrounded.

If you purchase a DVD, get the one from Stevens that features Gene Anderson.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-24 08:34, thurstonlives wrote:
Quote:
Everything Magic Makers sells is only a copy and sometimes a poor copy. I dought you will be getting the Anderson version competely, as they do change things a little.

Im don't usually defeat something unless the product has proven to be great, but In my opinion the videos are well done, with nice shots and Ben Salinas is a good magician and a nice person.
Anyway there are a lot of products that are not only copies as you said like the bill in kiwi by Carl Cloutier or The art of card splitting to name two of them.
All of us should take care of naming those descalifitions, and of course we should be banned telling things that are quite harmful to the economy of people that are working and of course working hard.
Mr Anderson's version of the effect is very nice but it not belongs completely to him as has some reminiscences from other sources.

D

Could you please explain what you mean here? I have no idea what a descalification is.

If Ben is teaching Gene's newspaper tear without permission from Gene, then he is doing economic harm to the people who sell the original. Has that idea not crossed your mind?

Not all of the MM products are knockoffs. The card splitting DVD was the first one on the market to go into all the detail of how it was done. This is a technique that goes back before Expert Card Technique.

As far as Gene's "reminiscenses" of other versions are concerned, they were mainly in the idea of how the flash restoration needed to be done. It was not a copy of anyone else's work.

I don't know Ben Salinas. I've never met him. But ANY performer who is going to be good at entertaining people has to ingratiate himself to the audience. You can't judge how "nice" a person is by his persona on a DVD. Nothing against Mr. Salinas, you understand, but I've known a lot of other people whose stage and/or television personal was wonderful, but they were real stinkers in person!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
I seen Gene Anderson perform at abbotts a number of years ago great stuff and his book has a lot of great ideas and thoughts on paper magic
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Max Londono put out an interesting variation on Anderson's tear. Without revealing anything, it added a special something to make the flash restoration at the end even more sure-fire.
Not sure if it's still available, but it was put out by Tannens some years ago.
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
The Anderson Newspaper verson on DVD is put out by Stevens Magic at http://www.stevensmagic.com

Example, they sell a no tear newspaper on DVD but they paper clip the pieces together. When the paper is restored it is should have been called the vanishing paper clip trick. Smile

Doesn't the clipping of the torn peices together lessen the effect? I have the DVD, and this wasn't my favorite version. I am using the Signed Torn and Restored from the Magic Makers DVD but I do it silently to music, and cut out the signed part. I only use and practice it because the reset is simple and requires no glue etc. The only downfall is that you have the pieces to ditch, but later on I plan to train my dove for production from it so the torn pieces don't matter much. Lately though I have found that a few torn pieces have fallen to the floor....

Chaz
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have tried the Anderson, No-Tear, and Bauer. Anderson is best for effect. No-Tear is easy and I used it with the Anderson setup. However, I had this gimmick fail once during performance and I am now gunshy. The Bauer is a nice, easy, quick method but I have had problem witht he pocket fully opening and as a result seldom used it in actual performance.

I think the Anderson is most reliable.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
IO will always continue to do the gene anderson version. He sepnt enough time with me to teahc me how to make it and perform it and never once asked for anything in return. he is a very generous man and I love performing that illusion. The set up may take a lot longer, but it is worth it for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
I like axel hecklau Newsflash T & R Newspaper. nobody mentioned it here

does this dvd Torn and Restored Newspaper (9 Amazing Methods) - DVD
include this method?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I am using Axel's method and it's fantastic. The DVD is well produced and entertaining and the restoration is beautiful. I've gotten "wows" and gasps from it...and when watching my rehearsal videos frame-by-frame I still can't see how the change occurs, and I KNOW how it occurs.
I doubt Ben teaches this method - it's only available from Axel himself through his web site, and it's also a fairly recent product, so I'm guessing it came out after Ben's DVD, though I could be mistaken.
I haven't seen the Magic Makers product but I've been less than thrilled with most of what they come out with, so I'm sticking with Axel's method for now. His customer service is great (all of my emails were with him directly) which is especially helpful since he is based in Germany...and though he speaks with a German accent, you have no problem understand him on the DVD.
Can't say enough good things about it. Newsflash is a wonderful product.

I'm curious to hear what people think of Axel's vs. Andersons. I've seen the Anderson version on video but never in person...is there anyone who is familiar with both methods that could weigh in?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=109&89

This link has some discussion of the various tears on the market as well as Anderson vs. Hecklau. I've performed Anderson's for years and decided to order Axel's version. Have to wait a bit for delivery because he is on a lecture tour here in the states for another week or so.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Yeah I read those threads thoroughly before purchasing Axel's since it's not the cheapest one on the market, and for good reason. You absolutely get what you pay for (about $95 in the U.S. which includes shipping.) I was impressed at how quickly it arrived from Germany.
I may just have to learn Anderson's tear as well to really know the difference...asking too much will certainly expose the method which I obviously don't want to do.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
116 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
When I developed NEWSFLASH I started with the view to the effect not on the preparation time.
I have the feeling for many magicians is the preparation time more important than the effect.
Do they tell their audiance "hey- it costs me 2 minutes only to set it up" ??

Let me tell here some facts were Newsflash is different to other Versions.

- you have no angel problems
- you can perform close-up (less than 1 meter)
- no "fight" with the newspaper - the tearing process is as easy and natural as it could be.
- The restauration takes place in breast hight in a "reading" posture in full size
- In the moment just before the restauration, you do not have to put the fingers behind the package in order to take some "corners"
This movement distroys the surprise to the audiance, because this motion tells the audiance - there is "something" importand behind the pieces and in a moment something will happen.
I have eliminated this move in NEWSFLASH. (this is one of the main advantages of NEWSFLASH and makes it so surprising to the audiance)

- the preparation time is similar to Gene Anderson´s (this is a statement from people who performed both methods)

I met Gene Anderson on monday for the first time in my life. He is one of the most pleasant people I know. He was sitting in the front row in my lecture - it was quite exciting to me.

But - Newsflash is not a variation of the "Anderson Version". It is different. Because the starting point of my development was the Toni Stevens Method (No Tear).
In fact - I saw the Anderson Version in technical detail two month ago for the first time.

I never tried the Anderson tear - I watched the performance of several magicans performing Genes and other Version and I looked for weak points of these methods from the spectators point of view (No tear, Patrick Page, Anderson).
One of the best versions in my opinion is beside the Gene Anderson Newspaper, the Version of Robert Harbin. (the disadvantage here is, he has to sit down on a chair)

I have performed NEWSFLASH at my booth in Nashville over 50 times since the last three days. (and I was not to lazy to prepare them by myself ;-)

Hope that helps in the discussion.

Axel Hecklau
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hi axel,

this is the deaf guy who helped you at Marcs house the other night.
loved the lecture and wanted to comment on the news flash

I have performed Genes method for years and do love it BUT when I saw yours I msut admit the instant restoration wasa breathtaking. I agree with you that set up becomes a concern to many magicians but I think that is their problem not yours.

it takes me and my team 8 hours to set up my illusion show for a 90 minute show but the point is the set up is not the show it is just he prep work that MUST be done in order to present this and other spectacular works of magic.

again I will say that after seeing the lecture and actually holding it in my hands and having it pop open and change with such ease it was wild.

so to any one I would say if you like your gene anderson version great but if you want to take it up a notch then you need to buy this from Axel.

have fun

sam

ps hope I get to meet you again Axel it was a joy to do so.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL