The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I have not seen everyone's torn and restored newspaper effect, but I cannot imagine a more amazing one than the one Soma does in his phone routine. you can see it here:

http://somashow.com/index.php?lang=EN&page=video
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Bill,

I went back a week or two ago to review the DVD again and did find it on there. Thanks for the info!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
This isn't very good is it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdW3ZhMR7M
two very obvious flashes. I'm surprised he thought it good enough to post.
Jolyon Jenkins
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Those flashes are painful,, and to the routine video of soma,, all I can say is wow, that was amazing
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I just bought Newsflash. I had to wait until the planes could take off from Germany, but it arrived and I love it. I want to give my full review on the comparisons to this and Gene Anderson’s but first I have a problem that I want to ask those that use it.

If you are American, you might be able to help. The newspapers here are funny sizes. Our paper in Las Vegas has shrunk. It used to be an inch bigger, but because of lack of circulation, it resembles a tabloid. I asked Axel if he can help try to convert the dimensions for me, but he is stumped too. After many tries, it is apparent that the correct dimensions are important to get the O’s and X’s lined up properly.

The dimensions of the Las Vegas Review Journal is 21¾ X 22. If anyone has the correct conversions, I’d appreciate it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why not use USA News and Report, it is still the larger size, and can be picked up anywhere. Do to News Stands dieing in America, we still have a tabacco store in town that sells Newspapers from all over th country, all major cities.

If you need patter for the out of town paper, just say, I just got back from (enter city of newspaper), I brought back a copy of their newspaper,(while showing newspaper) "as you can see, their is nothing in it!" Gets a great laugh.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
What's strange about the Las Vegas Review Journal is that it has shrunk in the past six months. I found a paper from October of last year and the full sheet is two inches wider. When I folded the paper as per Axel's instructions, it works fine.

But, all is not lost. I discovered if I make the first fold shorter by folding it exactly in half, then every thing else works. The only adjustment would be to fold the other side about a half inch shorter and I am fine.

Now I can go on with learning the rest of the trick... finally.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
SOMA's fits his act... I love his presentation, accidentally tearing it to begin. I would guess it's based on Gene Anderson's.

I used to do Pat Page's 10-second Paper Tear, then Alan Shaxon made a simple modification to it (adding a bit of glue stick) which I played with, but dropped it from my act. I had been practicing Anderson's but didn't put it in.

Yesterday I saw, and bought, Andrew Mayne's... he did it in his lecture and to me for a parlor or even close-up situation his really is amazing.

See it at his web site.

No prep, you can ask someone to grab a paper (if there are some handy) Take some sheets, have someone sign the front page, tear it up and re-tear it, handing the paper back to the signee.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and taking a little time to set it up,
the reaction you get from the audience (usually gasps!) with Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear is well worth the effort and pretty darn hard to beat, I think.

Having said that, I also remember watching Neil Foster (and later Lance Burton) performing the center tear.....(with a show-biz addition of flash string!) got a great reaction from the audience, too!

I saw Slyding perform his T&R version too,,,elegant....but very "MOVEY", in my opinion.......
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I did notice "Page Tear" at a magic recently. I like it.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I have 3 versions but nothing beats the one I had first, the Gene Anderson version.
Sure it takes a little time to make but WOW!
dave60707
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of dave60707
Does anyone know what version Whit Haydn uses? I love his style and would like to learn the effect the way he does it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 23:31, dave60707 wrote:
Does anyone know what version Whit Haydn uses? I love his style and would like to learn the effect the way he does it.

Whit Haydn performs the Anderson Newspaper Tear, it is available in book or DVD.

DVD: http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......_id=5558

DVD: http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......_id=7179

Book: http://www.magicinc.net/newspapermagicre......per.aspx
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
For those of you who bought Newsflash and can`t find full size newspaper here is a performance by Axel with tabloid size:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ala19UBFEJA
Preparation will be explained on his new DVD which should be on the market in January 2011.

regards,
Bojan
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I asked Gene at innovention 2010 if the smaller newspapers matter he said not really but not as nice.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
My favourite Torn And Restored Newspaper by Joel Bauer
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
Gene mentioned that USA Today is printed in several sizes across US --- reminds me of three blind men describing an elephant one had trunk one a leg one the tail each has different description
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2010-10-08 10:32, bojanbarisic wrote:
For those of you who bought Newsflash and can`t find full size newspaper here is a performance by Axel with tabloid size:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ala19UBFEJA
Preparation will be explained on his new DVD which should be on the market in January 2011.

regards,
Bojan

What about those that already have it?
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
The update will not be expensive ;-)
marlyd
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of marlyd
Does anyone use the Alex Elmsley paper tear that is on Tahoe Sessions Vol 4. Its a really lovely tear though time consuming to set up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL