The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Rediscovering the Jinx one issue at a time! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 08:32, Vlad_77 wrote:
Back to Fred Braue: I think that he never received the same recognition as Jean Hugard.

I'm known to my friends as a Fred Braue ( and Marlo ) freak!

I learn everything with his name. Miracle Methods booklets, Show Stoppers, Expert Card Tech, Invisible Pass, you name it! ( except the Hugard Monthly )

Kept tracking his Braue Notebooks, only to have a bad ending .. Smile

~ Feras
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
John,

You are most welcome! It's what the Café is all about.

Feras,

You sir, are a magician of impeccable taste in authors.

Best,
Vlad
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
John, et al

I have also started with issue one of the Jinx reading through each issue on a regular basis. I am now up to number 132. When complete, I will pick up the Phoenix where I left off before realizing I should start with Annemann. This approach is a wonderful path to discovery.

In reading through these old issues, I am always struck by how timeless much of the commentary remains. Many of the editorial comments could be cut and pasted to today's Genii and nobody would notice. Truly, the more things change the more they stay the same.

I am a big fan of periodicals on CD. I just wish Jim Sisti would put the Magic Menu on disc. Jim?

-Feral
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2008-05-31 04:36, John Neely wrote:
Several years ago I bought The Jinx and Phoenix on CD rom. I never looked at them on my computer and so I printed up all the Phoenix and spiral bounded them. Having them on my shelf has really helped me dig into them. Printing them out, however, used up a $90 toner cartridge! For months, I've been wanting to print up the Jinx also, but my wife has put her foot down because she doesn't want me to use up another toner cartridge.

Well last week I came up with a great idea! I will discover the Jinx one issue at a time just like the original subscribers. Every Friday night I print up another issue just as if I received it in the mail. I've only just started but so far it is working out great! I've actually been looking forward to "getting" the next issue all week! And my wife has no problem with me printing out one issue a week. Smile

I thought some of you may enjoy rediscovering the Jinx along with me. I thought I could write a short post here from time to time to share any interesting things I find in each issue, especially things involving cards.

The first trick in issue one contains a really cool card idea which I've never seen before. It is called Hallucination. Three different spectators peek at the top card by lifting up the corner and then you deal it on the table. The deck is handled very fairly with no funny moves or anything. When you ask the spectators to name the card they saw all three of them name a different card. You then show the card on the table is none of the cards originally peeked at but a Joker. I know exposure is not allowed, and so I will not expose anything in my posts here. I will just say the trick uses a very clever gimmick which I haven't seen before.

I hope posting my discoveries as I go through The Jinx will be worthwhile and enjoyable for those interested and will lead to some profitable discussions and discoveries by others who have and read The Jinx.

John

Excellent idea! I will follow along!

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
280 Posts

Profile of John Neely
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 09:37, Ed Oschmann wrote:

Hallucination is definately a nice item. As for the other items they read nice, but I'm not much of a mentalist.

This was my thought exactly.

Issue two has several card items. The Devil's Four Aces is a four ace assembly and I happen to like four ace assemblies, but it seems like a little too much work and so it is probably something I won't try. The Finders looks really good, especially the second method where the spectators put the cards into the center. The effect is you have a spectator pick a card and place it on top of the deck. You take two cards from the deck and then have the spectator cut his card into the center of the deck. You place the deck behind your back (or you can have a spectator do it) and place the two cards you removed face up into the center. The deck is spread and the two cards trap the spectator's card face down between them. I haven't tried it yet, but after reading it it gave me another idea which solved a problem in a routine of mine that I've been working on for some time. This is one of the benefits from reading periodicals! = )

There is still more in issue two which I haven't had the chance to look at because my wife and I are getting ready for a trip. I will be gone for over a week and am not sure whether or not I'll have access to a computer so you may not hear from me for a while. Until then, have fun exploring your favorite periodicals (I'll be taking several with me on our trip Smile).

John
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
John,

Interesting that you did this -- about the same time, I printed off the first 50 issues and organized them in groups of ten. Unlike you, I have not devoted myself to doing one a week -- I am still skipping around.

Regarding the "mentalist heavy" aspect -- I can empathize (no pun intended, sorry), but there is a LOT of other stuff in there. Use the author index at the beginning: Daley, Searles, Vosburgh, Stanyon, etc. are all well-represented.

There is an ongoing Cups and Balls lesson that I have been spending some time with.....

And one of the best things, that no one has mentioned yet, is the sheer nostalgia aspect of it. I enjoy reading the patter suggestions that refer to FDR! Plus, there is one issue that features a very long letter written by Jimmy Stewart! How cool is that!

In your original post, you had asked for little treasures found in the Jinx: check out "An Amusing Card Reversal" by Lynn Searles, on page 134.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Lynn Searles' 'Amusing Reversal' is an interesting trick combining Ambitious effect and Reverse effect. You can eliminate use of DB as below.

You set an face up card on third from top. You insert the selected card above the face up card with Tilt. The rest of routine is same as the original version.

Printing one issue per week is a very good idea to inspire oneself. I will introduce this idea to my students in near future. However one issue per week is too little as it would take three years to read all issues. How aobut one issue per a day?

Hideo Kato
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, MS
589 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 21:19, Hideo Kato wrote:
How aobut one issue per a day?

Hideo Kato

No need to rush. 1 week gives you time to digest that issue before the next printing. He has a great idea.

AT
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, MS
589 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 23:55, AltonThrash wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 21:19, Hideo Kato wrote:
How aobut one issue per a day?

Hideo Kato

No need to rush. 1 week gives you time to digest that issue before the next printing. He has a great idea. 3 years to learn and enjoy.

AT
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Of course you should not rush in reading. But reading more will improve your capability of digesting.

Hideo Kato
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2008-06-07 01:56, Hideo Kato wrote:
Of course you should not rush in reading. But reading more will improve your capability of digesting.

Hideo Kato

I agree.
Don't know what yous guys mean bu digesting ( I digest food! ), maybe to appreciate the information?

For me personally, reading one issue each day is very good, sometimes I sit for like 3 hours of reading these stuff, going through multiple issues for multiple magazine, weekends well spent!

I thought the original poster, John, wanted to do this to simulate how past magicians used to be, waiting for issues and so forth. Its fun Smile

~ Feras
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
What a great discovery John N. As you know,I'm sure, magicians, will buy trick after trick and sometimes book/dvd after book/dvd. And what happens with most of the stuff? It gets looked at then ends up in a cupboard.Often it never sees the light of day again until spring cleaning time or sales at magic clubs.

You have hit a very simple nail (answer) on the head. One thing at a time.

I am constantly looking through old magazines rediscovering, particularly, bits of history and news of magicians. And I tend to bring a lot of each downstairs from The Magic Room, be it Sphinx, Abras, Max Sterling's Magicial World, Linking Ring, HMM, Genii, & even pre 2000 Stan Allen's 'Magic'. And what happens..I scan through each, often fairly quickly so I can get onto the next.
One at a time is a great rule.
I've just acquired all the Tops on CD'd .
I shall The Neely Notion to these.
Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Hideo, doing this ungaffed is obviously even more elegant. Thanks for the tip!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Awesome, I thought about doing this as well and will be starting soon with all my periodicals! Let the Jinx begin! By the way did you get through them all yet? Lol.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just saw this thread - hey, Allen, stay completely away from all the APOCALYPSE issues!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On May 31, 2008, bdekolta wrote:
When you print the Jinx you might get a cream colored paper as it was printed on. Be sure to watch for the "secret" messages Annemann included at times.

Not sticking to the original format but it could save you some toner is a program called FinePrint (fineprint.com). And when you print large runs use a laser printer. It is *much* cheaper than inkjet and the printout aren't prone to waterspills. My current volume printer is a Brother HL-2040 I picked up for $59 on sale. I can usually print about 3,000 pages on one $40 toner cartride.

Hope that helps a bit.

To save ink with my Inkjet I print plain text pages with black cartridge only, and on fast normal which is the best overall. Fast draft works as well and I even a lot of pages out of the normal setting with colors. I also use a 3-ring binder and punch the holes myself. Would be awesome to see it in its completed printed form after reading it all. Can't wait!
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Just saw this thread - hey, Allen, stay completely away from all the APOCALYPSE issues!!

Yeah they are junk, nothing good in there. I have no idea why I bought them TWICE, but yeah don't waste your time. Smile
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:

All due respect Mr. Lorayne, but others and I made extensive mention of Apocalypse early in this thread (2008).

John, if you're reading this, it seems that your project has slowed considerably. Are you still on The Jinx Journey (TM)? Smile

Best,
Vlad
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yes, Vlad, I know that. And Allen ignored those mentions. I just wanted to make sure he continued to do so! Best - HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Http://ec.libsyn.com/p/d/c/3/dc3ede89db0......=4285451

Great interviews about the Jinx, loved Maven and Burger especially.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Rediscovering the Jinx one issue at a time! (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL