The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Snopes.com -- How accurate are they? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
It's right there in his third post
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2428 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-09-05 18:04, Bill Nuvo wrote:
Um...he mentioed it in his 3rd post

Hmmm, I don't see a "third post." However, Drew Manning has a post which appears to have a quote pertaining to it.

BTW, I remember a television show about game shows where the host of the Dating Game swore blind that this quote had never happened. Then, he says, they showed him the clip. Then they showed the clip on the show (with appropriate censorship). So sometimes "eyewitness testimony" isn't all it's cracked up to be.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Look for the third post. It is right after the one about the kangaroo.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
Quote:
On 2009-09-07 11:29, Bill Ligon wrote:

Didn't I see you at the last Snipe hunt?
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Ha! Yeah, I was the one left holding the bag!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2428 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yes, but can you do the call?

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 12:20am
--------------------------------
...Aw man! I wanted to find Fraiser doing the call from the episode of "Cheers." Apparently, nobody's ever saved that!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
youngmagjar
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of youngmagjar
My understanding is that Bill was kidnapped by a CIA appointed alien from Xerplftt that didn't want Bill to say anything derogatory about SNOPES. Bill did escape by giving the alien a packet of POPROCKS and then a PEPSI to wash it down. Sadly, for The Alien, his insides exploded. Bill was last seen on the grassy knoll telling Elvis that Michael Jackson was still alive (or maybe it was his ghost) and had been picked up while hitchhiking by Timothy McVey & Amelia Earhardt. Of course this still has to be substantiated by SCOPES before Bill will finally break his silence on this subject. Stay tuned.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-09-07 11:29, Bill Ligon wrote:

See!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
23989 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I apologize. I let this one slip my mind.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/kissballs.asp

It took place on the Carson show.

The one with Bob Eubanks was another one that was claimed not to have happened.

Bill Nuvo was correct about the answer being in my third post.

Regarding Wikipedia -- They have been plagued with people who have no credentials or authority at all submitting articles, so much so that about 2 years ago, they deleted all of the articles submitted by one fellow who claimed to have better academic credentials than he actually had.

Also, I can tell you of one instance in which I am certain that Wikipedia has deliberately lied. This concerns the lack of a link to the cups and balls museum. They state that there is no link to the cups and balls museum because I objected to the magic exposures on Wikipedia. Although I do, and did, object to these exposures, the chief reason that I did not want a link from Wikipedia is that the server my museum was on at the time had some rather severe bandwidth limits. During one week of linkage to Wikipedia, my bandwidth limit was almost exceeded.

The truth is that after a very long battle with them, during which they maintained a link to the cups and balls museum, claiming it was a "public resource," * I finally discovered that their rules preclude linking to a password protected web site. After I password protected the site, my problem went away.

* Their claim that it is a public resource is completely contrary to fact. All of the photos and texts are copyrighted. I pay for the server space, the camera, the flash memory cards, the cups, the balls, the wands and everything else. I consulted an attorney about this, and he stated that I not only had a good case, he would handle it pro bono. But he added, "Your time is worth something. If you want to spend a lot of time going back and forth with them, you might want to find another solution." Password protection did the trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nicholas J. Johnson
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Nicholas J. Johnson
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/interne......osed.htm

there have been some complaints about the snipes team being big fat liberals.

I've noticed a slight lean to the left but nothing too outrageous.
Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
I've used them for a couple of years and have found their references and justification well founded.
Dark Knight
View Profile
Regular user
My troops are stationed at
157 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
If everyone would fact-check with Snopes before they forwarded e-mail, the e-mail Internet traffic would be reduced significantly.

DK
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1227 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 16:06, Bill Palmer wrote:
The question is how accurate the evidence is. In the particular case I am familiar with, eyewitness testimony is denied by a major television network. Snopes sides with the network.

I think its kind of reading wikipedia.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
1509 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
I apologize. I let this one slip my mind.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/kissballs.asp

It took place on the Carson show.

So what part of the Snopes story do you know for a fact isn't true?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
108 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 15:48, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/interne......osed.htm

there have been some complaints about the snipes team being big fat liberals.

I've noticed a slight lean to the left but nothing too outrageous.

Conservatives call them liberal because they tell the truth about conservatives. But they tell the truth about liberals, too. Lots of dirt on Bill Clinton, etc.

Snopes doesn't just answer questions - they cite sources and list references. Looks good to me.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Veteran user
In Seattle, I have no less than
356 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I was reading an article on Snopes about Kenned
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
2626 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2013-10-20 18:25, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

:)

J
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1026 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Quote:
On 2013-10-20 18:25, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

?
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
640 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Y?
R.S.
View Profile
Special user
CT one day I'll have
699 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, DoctorAmazo wrote:
Y?

Y not?

Ron
See above for what I just said.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
14375 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Snopes is two Canadians in California financed by liberals to deceive the folks dumb enough to believe them. They have a laptop and lie just as much as the rest of them. They simply remove material from their site when they are busted ... but believe me ..They have been found out many times. Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1026 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
It does seem that Snopes have several doubters, far more in fact than I originally thought.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Snopes.com -- How accurate are they? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.169147 seconds, requiring 82 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [2] [6] [5] [7] [5] [2]