The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Snopes.com -- How accurate are they? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
It does seem that Snopes have several doubters, far more in fact than I originally thought.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2009, Bill Palmer wrote:
I apologize. I let this one slip my mind.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/kissballs.asp

It took place on the Carson show.

So, you're suggesting that it actually DID happen, despite the fact that the Carson people have denied that Arnold Palmer's wife was ever on the show, and the story itself dates back to Sam Sneed?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
During this last political cycle I have seen a lot of fact checkers slanting heavy bias. For example, a twitter account would have a screen shot being posted. The fact checkers would call it fake news. Why? Because they have no evidence. How is that it a screen shot. Oh, because they didn't have it archived on their news site. But what's the chances of them archiving every Twitter message. None. So they pick and choose what is real or fake. Snopes is pretty left wing too. I use to goto snopes when it was new. Haven't purposely been there for years.

I find relying on my own brain from previous events to be the best trusted source.
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
While no website is perfect, I find that snopes is generally on the money.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2008, stoneunhinged wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if you had persuasive evidence, they would update the site.

They are folklorists with solid academic credentials. Academics sometimes make mistakes. Sometimes they make mistakes in evaluating the evidence. But I would be surprised if anything at Snopes was somehow not in good faith.

Bill, don't keep us waiting. Out with it!

Admiring the credibility of "academics" is historically questionable, if you just look at some of the past experience of "The Amazing Randi" (RIP Randi) and Banachek and some other excellent ",psychic investigators"!
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
If you read the whole article at Snopes you find they list a lot of places it could have happened prior as well. They give different scenarios of how it could have happened on Carson. At the end of the article they state that it more than likely did not happen and we may never know. They do not say it did not happen on Carson, just unlikely and they give good reason why in the article itself. I think this is pretty accurate and fair reporting and not biased in this case at all.

"Since nearly all the kinescopes, videotapes, and films of the Tonight Show (both the Steve Allen and Johnny Carson versions) made prior to 1972 were subsequently destroyed, and much of what was broadcast live on television in the 1950s was either never recorded or similarly destroyed afterwards, whether this humorous faux pas ever played out in real life is unlikely to be definitively proved or disproved. But, as with many tales of this nature, the yarn was likely once just a colorful joke until someone once decided to spice it up by presenting it as a true story. For maximum effect and embarrassment, the set-up of the gag requires that the inadvertently-uttered punchline be witnessed by an audience, so setting the anecdote within the framework of a television interview nicely fit the bill."
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
They are wrong about Coca-Cola and the Nazis.
Fanta was sold in Germany during the war.
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Quote:
Do you have a site you like better for fact checking?

The site is the round object on top of my neck and a dose of uncommon sense. "I read it on the internet..." Now apply that uncommon sense.
(Kudos to you on your true art)
Rhewin
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Rhewin
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2022, Blaine G wrote:
Quote:

The site is the round object on top of my neck and a dose of uncommon sense. "I read it on the internet..." Now apply that uncommon sense.

So do you have a better way of finding information to make an informed decision? Snopes at least provided sources on their articles and actively encourages users to verify everything independently. No single source should ever be your only record of truth, but I’ve found them to be a good starting point.
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Quote:
So do you have a better way of finding information to make an informed decision...

Merely saying take everything with a grain of salt. I recall reading a foreign news story that once cited to "The Onion."

Todays top story
"Crypto Confidence Soars After CEO Defrauds Customers Just Like Real Bank." Just for a minute...
Rhewin
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Rhewin
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2022, Blaine G wrote:
Quote:
So do you have a better way of finding information to make an informed decision...

Merely saying take everything with a grain of salt. I recall reading a foreign news story that once cited to "The Onion."

Todays top story
"Crypto Confidence Soars After CEO Defrauds Customers Just Like Real Bank." Just for a minute...

What does that have to do with Snopes? Isn't this exactly in line with their recommendation that readers independently verify?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2022, Blaine G wrote:
Quote:

Logic and common sense are completely useless without facts--empirical evidence. First you need to know what is true and what is not true. Then you apply common sense to the solutions. Checking the validity of your facts is important. Going by your gut will lead to error due to confirmation bias.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I agree Pop -- unfortunately that's what the "researchers" at Snopes or any fact-check site tend to do.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, Schaff wrote:
I agree Pop -- unfortunately that's what the "researchers" at Snopes or any fact-check site tend to do.

Can you give any examples at snopes? They try to correct innacuracies they publish. They offer links to the sources. What makes you think they tend toward bias confirmation?
jericho
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jericho
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:

Can you give any examples at snopes? They try to correct innacuracies they publish. They offer links to the sources. What makes you think they tend toward bias confirmation?

Here's one.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/florid......braries/

The original poster defended his list of banned books until he couldn’t defend it any more, then lied and said it was satire. Snopes went along with him and lied in their rating.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2023, jericho wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:

Here's one.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/florid......braries/

The original poster defended his list of banned books until he couldn’t defend it any more, then lied and said it was satire. Snopes went along with him and lied in their rating.

They rated it False. The publisher said it was Satire, and they reported that. What is your point?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Snopes.com -- How accurate are they? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL