The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Mythbusters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Not exactly the best science, but I love this stupid show. Tim's pop rocks post in the other thread got me thinking about some memorable episodes. Here's a couple:

1. The guy who tried to fly in a lawn chair with lots of balloons. Doable and dangerous and just recently a Catholic priest disappeared trying to do this stunt as a fund raiser. Yikes. I feel sorry for him, but that is an almost automatic Darwin award.

2. The guy who farted himself to death. Supposedly he ate too many beans and cabbage and died of the gas in his sleep. Busted

3. Can you get the smell of death out of a car? They left a dead pig in a car for a good while in a storage container out in the sun, then put on hazmat suits and tried to clean it. Disgusting! Television doesn't get much more cerebral than this! Smile

Anyone else like this show? I mean, if you like explosions and/or guns you have to like Mythbusters!

4. Using dynamite to clean a cement mixer. Busted, but what a cool explosion!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
Using dynamite to clean a cement mixer. Busted, but what a cool explosion!

If you're talking about half a cement truck load that has had a chance to harden, then yes, the myth's busted. On the other hand, they did show that dynamite in a truck with traces around the mixing blades was quite doable.

As for the explosion, it is one of the best I've ever seen! First you see the cement truck, now you don't!!! No cloth covering required! Smile

Quote:
The guy who farted himself to death. Supposedly he ate too many beans and cabbage and died of the gas in his sleep. Busted

I've heard another variation on this story where the guy supposedly sealed all the doors and windows in his house, ate nothing but beans and cabbage, then gassed himself to death that way!
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
But that stupid fey girlie hat is a bit much. I only have so much tolerance for 'reality' TV so I jumped ship on the boys and took up 'Pinks' as a guilty plasure. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I haven't watched it much lately either as my wife HATES it.

clynim-They tried to seal a small room they constructed and found the amount of methane required was too much and the seal insufficient. What a way to commit suicide!? BTW-where are you in Columbus? I grew up there and in Westerville. I used to live by Cleveland Ave + 161 area. It's gone downhill in the past 20 years!
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 21:07, Preston68 wrote:
4. Using dynamite to clean a cement mixer. Busted, but what a cool explosion!

First, I will apologize for what I'm about to type. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it does involve a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The terms "cement" and "concrete" are NOT interchangeable. The huge rotating drum that discharges a mixture composed of water, aggregates, cement, and admixtures is a CONCRETE mixer, not a cement mixer. Cement is a pozzolanic material that has cohesive properties and is an ingredient in concrete. Concrete is a mixture of cement, aggregates (both coarse and fine), water, and any applicable admixtures (air entraining agent, retarder, accelerator, etc). I spent almost ten years working in research involving cement and concrete mix designs.

If I had seen that episode of MythBusters, they would have gotten a "viewer comment" from me if I had heard them say "cement mixer." I even sent a letter to Tom Clancy (I'm sure he never read it), because one of his books kept saying "cement mixer."

Now, to comment on Myth Busters. I watch the show when I can. I don't seek it out or set my schedule to watch it, but if I'm flipping channels and it's on, I'll watch it.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
So wait a minute.

Concrete contains cement, And a mixer mixes the cement with the other components. So cement mixer is not far off. It IS mixing in the cement, Isn't it? If your thinking in terms of what comes out of the mixer, That's concrete. Not cement. But I could see how the mixer could be called both.

I've been around this stuff for a long time. Since I was a little kid helping my dad and I've heard it both ways. I think that they are both correct.

Anyway, When the term "Cement mixer" is used, Everyone knows whats being talked about.

As far as Mythbusters goes, I do like the show. I'm the same way as Margarette, If I find it flipping through the channels, I'll stop and watch it. They do have some pretty neat stuff on the show.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Jsmith45
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Jsmith45
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 12:16, Tim Jahn wrote:
If your thinking in terms of what comes out of the mixer, That's concrete. Not cement.

Interesting.
Would it also be considered "wet cement?"
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Just watched it last night for the first time in a long while. The wife's staying with her mom who just had surgery.

They proved the "myth" of drafting a semi helps improve gas mileage. Pretty much a no-brainer, but I was impressed by the numbers. And Grant drove two feet away from the back of a semi going 55 mph!

The other story was, "will flying debris from a semi tire blow-out take your head off?" lol Time well spent! They built a rubber flinger and; of course, a ballistics gel head complete with a pig spine. They threw a piece of truck tire through a car window and beheaded the dummy. Pretty cool stuff.

My question is, "Why don't they teach science in schools with these methods?" It is interesting, teaches how to form a hypothesis, establish baseline controls and perform experiments. I think lots of kids could benefit from a science course based on these shows. Certainly not college material, but it could work with the younger kids to get them interested in science.

.02$
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I don't disagree in principle, but in practice, do you really think the kids will heed the "Don't try this yourself.... ever...." message?

I know as a kid I would not have, nor many of my friends, nor even the kids of my friends today. I'm an adult and at times I try some stuff that should give me a Darwin runner-up ;-)

We need to get em more interested in science but without the Boom, crack, splash or pistol shot.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-06-05 20:34, Jsmith45 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 12:16, Tim Jahn wrote:
If your thinking in terms of what comes out of the mixer, That's concrete. Not cement.

Interesting.
Would it also be considered "wet cement?"

I don't know. Good question!

Anyway...Most of the people I know just call it "cement" whether its dry or not. Probably not 100% accurate, But its pretty much part of the culture now. I remember seeing bills that my dad had from "H&G Cement". Not "H&G concrete". And one of the bills I remember was for 285 sq. ft. of "Cement". Besides... We always called it a "Cement" truck.

I think we were just getting hung up on an issue of semantics anyway.

Ahhhh... Back to the topic I guess.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quick answer to the cement/concrete conundrum: People often confuse cement and concrete. Just remember that cement is to concrete as flour is to bread. You should also remember that the shorter word (cement) is just one part of the longer word (concrete).
cns
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of cns
I'm actually sitting here laughing out loud.
Why, because once again it only took one person to change the "thought" or "Intent" of a post.
Why do people feel the urge to do such a thing?
There really must be a better way for each to express or brag about what we know withought changing the topic.
so, to answer Preston's questions....
Yes, I do like the show, it may or may not be as accurate as we'd like to believe but non the less, it is actually one of the few shows (IMO), that entertains me.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
This thread is concrete evidence of ridikerousness.

I liked the episode where they built a "tower" in the shop made out of something like gas and soap bubbles and then lit it on fire. Whoosh! Tired of flash paper? Try new Flash Gas! haha-
soccergod
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of soccergod
That was my favorite episode preston It was just a huge tower of fire.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Speaking of people flying in lawn chairs adorned with balloons:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080703/ap_o......69MZ.3QA
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I enjoy the show even if I do not always agree with their out results. Sometimes I think they are too quick to call a claimed skill busted when they cannot duplicate it.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 18:39, cns wrote:
I'm actually sitting here laughing out loud.
Why, because once again it only took one person to change the "thought" or "Intent" of a post.
Why do people feel the urge to do such a thing?
There really must be a better way for each to express or brag about what we know withought changing the topic.

Like posting to brag about knowing when others are braging?

OK Smile
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
I enjoy the show even if I do not always agree with their out results. Sometimes I think they are too quick to call a claimed skill busted when they cannot duplicate it.

I came to that conclusion as well. What they CAN do is prove a myth as plausible or confirmed. What really gets me is that duplicating the conditions of the original myth is almost impossible, thus making any "busted" myth questionable. Sometimes it's the really rare and quarky occurances that make a myth true, even if you can't duplicate it under test conditions.

Two myths they tested had something to do with an airline hostess falliing from a plane and another about a bombadeer that fell out of his plane from at least 12,000 ft. without a parachute (!) and an explosion at a paris rail station actually cushioned his fall and he survived! These stories of miraculous survival are true and documented, but the Mythbusters were not able to duplicate the conditions that allowed them to live. On their own, the tests would have busted these as pure myth.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I liked the episode where the construction worker falls off one of the floors of a building under construction and glides to another floor as a result of holding on to a sheet of plywood.

Or the one where they test out myths on how to cool beer....mmmmm beer (LOL)

Poor 'Buster' though....
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Mythbusters is fun. Remember when Ricky Jay was on the throwing cards episode?
That was awesome!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Mythbusters (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL