The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Invisible Hand by Michel (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1597 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
The DVDs arrived from Vernet. The Invisible Hand DVDs are great.

The production values are excellent. Michel has a wonderful speaking voice, in English. His polish as a performer shines through in every frame.

You could easily manufacture your own hold out and adjust it to fit you with the information on the DVDs. I don't see the Vernet Hold-Out listed for sale on their website. I suspect they're churning them out in preparation for the U.S. release of the DVDs. If you need one, email Michel at Vernet. His command of the English language is complete. He can tell you if they plan to stock them again. I simply have no idea.

It really takes very, very little to rig one up on your own. If you're completely inept the least expensive, yet completely functional HO available is still available from John Rogers at:

http://www.woodencigars.com His video, showcasing his HO is also great!!! Get it too! (Smokin' Candies)

The routines on the Vernet DVDs are mostly Michel's with a few twists on standard routines. There is significantly more material on these DVDs than come with the Perfect Hold Out DVD. The fact Michel is speaking in English instead of being dubbed over is a significant plus.

I'm a hold-out nut. I was entranced by the background information. They have some pictures and video of some varied hold outs. I found it fascinating. Your mileage may vary.

With Antonio Romero's package you get 3 routines that are fairly complex. You also get a very advanced and completely functional hold out. With Michel's package you get three beautifully produced DVDs with many more applications and no hold-out.

Another choice remains Vic Trabucco's device. Of the devices, of this ilk, on the market, I think Mr. Trabucco may have the most interesting slant on this idea. Vic's device is completely different from the other three devices here. I won't tip what it is. I think Vic is mob connected and he might have me killed. (joke) I got to see him use it in Buffalo. He fooled the snot out of every magician there with it. He entertained and amazed us as well.

Overall, I have spent far more time with the Romero DVD. What Antonio's DVD lacks in production values, for me, it more than made up for it in seeing a true master use his very refined hold-out. I think Antonio Romero's skill with the hold-out is just a thing of freakin' beauty. Smooooooth baby, smooooooth.

I think Antonio Romero's product is a great bargain. Google for it. I'll bet the best price you find is here:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magics......hold+out

50 bucks less than anywhere else. They shipped very quickly and have an excellent and friendly staff.

BUT . . . I had already found or discovered much of the information Michel puts out. For sheer quality of information delivered. The Vernet DVDs are unmatched by everything under 2000 dollars.

The information that comes with the F/K model is on an entirely different level. You get what you pay for.

If you have little previous experience with a hold out and are wondering if it provides enough pop or pizazz to add to your arsenal. Get Michel's DVDs from Vernet. It will answer any question you could have for practicality or level of difficulty.

If you are a long-time Hold-Out user. Get it anyway you know you have to have it.

My own experience is with a model much more refined than the model Michel uses. He is very talented with the model he uses. He has an excellent product for any and all who want to learn how to use a gravity hold-out. He also provided me a wonderful model of how a professional magician could use this device.

Best guys ever with this toy remain Mssrs. Fitch and Kohler. If you have the dough, send uncle Bob or uncle Bob some long green and get the real work.

To see what I can do with one go here. It's my cups and balls routine. If you've seen it before, sorry for the additional, self-serving link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNO3obSA7M

These devices take work, vast quantities of work to get smooth enough to perform. If you get one, and you should, please, tape yourself before you perform and eliminate the myriad of tells that are rife upon using these things. The secret is too good for you to blow it in public. (like I'm doing in the video above)

I have zero economic connection of any type of with any of the products I recommended. They all have provided me some great toys though!!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Kent, first rate observations. Thanks for taking the time to write that up for everyone!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Great review Kent. I made up a bricolage/Macgyvered gravity HO... I'd like to get hold of Romero's dvd w/o buying the HO.

Lyndon
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2335 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Kent, I am new to HO and it was me who started another link on this to learn more, thanks to Chris for redirecting me to this link as your post was a great one and now I have some direction. I think I remember seeing a HO device about 25 ago in Tannens and it was a simple looking think with safety pins and I did not give it much moe thought , now that I am doing trade shows for a living , it may be just the right thing, but one question comes to mind and it is, is a jacket necessary . And a fnal note is to quote you. we all must practice , so not to blow it...... Thanks to all for your gracious knowledge. Dave
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1769 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2008-08-17 07:50, dave wrote:
one question comes to mind and it is, is a jacket necessary .

Bob Fitch tells a story when he first time met Michael Close and fooled the pants out of him with holdout and topic cos he was just wearing shirt and west, no jacket. So it is possible to use holdout without a jacket, but for most appliciations you will need it. that's when we are speaking of gravity type holdouts. Trabucco holdout doesn't really need sleeves, but jacket or longer west is needed in that case as well.

Holdout is interesting device, but it takes A LOT of practise to done it smoothly. I have used Romeros one in my act about a half year now and I am rather happy with it.

J-M
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Stevens Magic also has this:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=10486

Bob Phillips
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The "Coming Soon" section has been replaced on the http://www.vernetmagic.com website for the actual "Invisible Hand Device". So it looks like it is going to be sold, and there is a seperate attachments and accessories kit. Go to the website, click the catelogue button then the button "The Invisible Hand Devices". So I would imagine it is only a matter of time before magic shops that carry the DVDs will carry the actual holdouts.
Click to visit:
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3432 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Any idea what comes with the accessory kit? The Vernet site didn't list details.

ps. I see Hocus is selling the dvds and the holdout separately or as a package deal. Didn't see the accessory kit though.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Michel sent me an email after reading my post here. He said the accessory kit is 30 days away.
Click to visit:
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Quote:
On 2008-08-17 09:43, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:

... Trabucco holdout doesn't really need sleeves, but jacket or longer west is needed in that case as well...
J-M

Not really. I use the Trabucco happily
with short sleeved Hawaiian shirts. The fact
that I'm sleeveless does not go unnoticed
nor uncommented on by my specs.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4805 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have been watching the video trailer several times and the magic looks very magical.
Looks like world class magic - cutting edge magic.
This DVD set will be a true classic.

The invisible hand is truly invisible.

We can create real wonders with this secret, sure!

[magic is fun]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3432 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks Dan. Did he happen to mention the contents of the kit?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3432 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I picked up the kit and I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the dvds. I've only made it through volume 1 and the performance section of volume 2, but I am already amazed by the quality of these dvds and the amount of effects you can produce using this device.

I haven't played much with the device itself but it seems very well made. While it's true you can probably make this for $10, you would still have to hunt for the components. Since I'm lazy, I'm glad I bought it pre-made. I can't wait to start playing with it.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
4976 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
WOW, after reading this thread I will have to pull out my Jack Miller hold out and my upside down topit!

I haven't used a hold out for years! But, I am getting interested once more thanks to this thread.

Best
ray
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3432 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have this dvd set and the holdout and could not be happier. I honestly think this is one of the best products I've purchased in 25 years. I have always been fascinated by the idea of a holdout. If you are like me, you have to pick up this set. The dvd's are fantastic and the instruction is second to none. The dvds mix live video instruction with illustrated instruction (kind of like Homer's two recent dvds). Even the menus and music score are well thought out.

As for the material, needless to say I was stunned by how many effects you can produce using a holdout. Many of the items look like real magic. What's also nice (and something most other people don't teach) is how to get into an effect without being pre-loaded. There are several different attachments that can be used, and for nearly every effect, Michel teaches you how to load the attachment in front of the audience. A very nice and welcome touch.

My one criticism is that the accessory kit should have been made available at the same time as the dvds and holdout. Michel goes through all the attachments in detail on volume 1. Most are standard items but Michel has modified them to work with the holdout. As with the holdout, you can easily make everything you need and Michel does not hold back in teaching you step by step what you need to do, but if you are lazy like me, you will want the accessory kit. I know I do and I hope it is released soon.

I know there are other more expensive holdouts and other instructional dvds and books on holdouts, but I can't imagine the magic can look much better than the magic Michel produces with his simple Invisible Hand.
MJP
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MJP
So far, I've found it a little difficult to use...
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 18:56, MJP wrote:
So far, I've found it a little difficult to use...

One word. Practice. This is not a self worker by any means. It will take weeks to master the basics and months to make it look smooth. When it stops feeling awkward to use you know you've arrived.
hefemexy
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
I am interested in a hold out which one does not use a clip I'm thinking about the
perfect hold out bye antonio romero's the cheapeast I've seen it for is $209.25 at penguin magic and the next is $235 at madhattermagic and $168.75 and magic management just wondering if the price difference means anything in the quality if you can post or pm me it would be appreciated
Okay, I give up what was your card?

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic
afuoco
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
193 Posts

Profile of afuoco
I have the antonio romero holdout and have adapted it to the effects in "The Invisible Hand" DVD. I don't know "Magic Management" but either Hocus Pocus (during their 25/30% off members sale) or Penquin Magic would be reliable dealers.
Arnie
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-08-17 09:43, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:

Bob Fitch tells a story when he first time met Michael Close and fooled the pants out of him with holdout and topic cos he was just wearing shirt and vest, no jacket. [...]

I was at that party and witnessed the event. Several other "name" magicians were equally fooled, and I was extremely pleased that it was my prototypes Bob was using at the time. Kent Gunn is absolutely correct when he says "you get what you pay for".

I understand the longing and desire of magicians, who are some of the tightest wads on the planet, hoping they can buy something for $50 (or $200, or whatever) that will perform equally alongside the $2000 Fitch/Kohler holdout system. They can't and it won't.

Oh, and by the way, I DO have a vested interest in this product, since I designed and manufactured all the components.

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Invisible Hand by Michel (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL