The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning Powder - Proper Application? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Hi Everyone! My cards don't seem to be fanning nicely and seem to be a little clumpy. I have Fanning powder and the direction say to do one card at a time. I read elsewhere (I believe in the Secret Sessions) to put some in a paper bag and shake the cards around a bit. Is there one standard or prefered method?
This is my sig until I can get photobucket to work right Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Paper bag method is best, but use VERY LITTLE POWDER. Most over do it. A shake can be enough for a deck. You might need to take a kleenix and wipe each off a bit after the dusting. A little goes a very long way with fanning powder.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Very cool. Thank you. When you say a little bit are we talking like a teaspoon or less?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Much less than a teaspoon. literally one shake at best, and not a hard one at that.
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Ok. Thanks.

One last question. How many decks will one shake take care of?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

At least one, probably a couple to three, but that is a mess to sort out.
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
I can imagine lol. I would do one deck at a time anyway, I just wondered how long the powder in the bag would last for me switching out a couple of decks.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
After retrieving the cards from the bag, a good tip on getting all the extra powder out of the cards would be to gather them up, square them up and smack your hand on top of the pack a couple times really hard. Excess powder should fly outta there. Also riffle the ends of the deck kinda hard. Do that on both ends and all the extra powder should be gone.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Use the plastic bag from your local Wally-Mart. Spring the cards into the bag. Fanning powder goes a long way. One "tap" ought to do it. Blow up the bag with the cards and powder in it. Twist it closed. Do some "shake and bake", turning the bag upside-down and all around. Open the bag away from your face so as not to breathe any powder. (That stuff does not belong in your lungs.)

Sort the deck. Riffle both ends of the cards to knock off the excess powder. Cut the deck. Repeat.

Make fans like you've never made them before!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Cool. I'll do that when I get home. thanks!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you are going to do the bag method, do it outside. You must be in a well ventilated area.

It is best to use rubber gloves while getting the cards set up with powder. Because without the gloves, it will be hard to grip the cards when rubbing the powder "into" the cards, not "onto".

I tried both. I like one at a time the best. It does take some time, but to me it is worth it. My method is rubbing the cards together real hard after placing the powder on the card. After placing on the rubber gloves sprinkle specks (not lines) of powder across on one card. Place a second one on top. Rub them together real hard for about seven seconds. Next, rotate the cards, put powder on the top of the other card and repeat. Put those two away and repeat with two other cards. When you finished all the cards, shuffle them together and mix some face up and face down. Rubbed about six cards together the same time using a lot of pressure. Go thru the whole deck doing that. Take off the rubber gloves, and you will find it is easier to spread. A lot of people think sprinkleing the powder on will make the whole thing work automaticaly. It does not, rubbing the powder in is what counts.

The bag method makes to much powder to get off the cards. It will be harder to get off the excess, making it harder to rub together (because it is to slippery to grip) and making it harder to spread. Sprinkeling about 10-12 small specks on the cards, then rubbing is best for me.

Keep the cards in a dry area. Do not keep them in a plastic bag. Do not place them in your pockets, unless in a box because if the powder gets moist it will "stick" to the cards making it harder to spread.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
The bag method is good in a pinch for application of Fanning Powder, however, like Dynamike said use it in a well ventilated area. The key ingredient in Fanning Powder is zinc stearate. It was used in baby powder many years ago until the FDA took it out. It can damge the lungs when inhaled. So use it sparingly. The best way is to use a fanning powder applicator. http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magics......_id=6413

Above is one source for an applicator. There are others or you can make one yourself. In a rush use the bag method, but just a "sprinkle" of powder.
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't get to do it last night because we had company. I'll try these out tonight.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Shake in bag...by the way the amount used to do an entire deck is like the tiniest bit. About the amount to match the size of a match head, maybe a little more. Most folks overuse and waste it including my self.

Here's the missing piece. After you shake the cards in the bag coating them with the powder.....let it settle for a bit and then take each card and wipe both sides on a bath towel. Just one quick swipe on both sides to take off the excess. You can't blow this...it's almost if not impossible to wipe the stuff off a card once you have it on so what you will do is just get rid of the excess.

Although they seem to work for some, I have never been able to get the little 'applicator' things to work well for me. They basically are a little rectangular box that you put fanning powder in and then you push a card trough and it's supposed to apply the powder. It always seemed to leave patches untouched and clumps of powder. Bag then Towel seemed to work perfectly every time. Best,
Brad Burt
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Ok so I put the powder in a bag, shook it around, got the excess powder off and the cards feel a little sticky to me. Maybe I thought they would feel smoother but they feel a little "tacky". Did I do something wrong or is there a fix?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
No, that's exactly how they will feel. The way that fanning powder works is kind of odd. What is happening is that the cards are actually made able to 'stick' together, but evenly as you fan them. The powder in effect makes all parts of all the cards to be evenly 'tacky' so that when you fan they move out evenly.

It's anti-intuitive really, but it seems to work. You will find that you will want to ONLY use the powder for stage work as it gets on your hands and makes it difficult to do regular close-up stuff. Some guys like it, but I hated having the stuff on my hands for non stage work. Best,
Brad Burt
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Oh, ok thanks. I thought I did something wrong. I'm guessing the more you use the deck, the more the powder will wear off.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Just wondering; I used to use fanning powder, but that was a really long time ago. Now, as long as a deck is reasonably new, it fans very nicely. Granted, I'm not a hardcore flourish guy, but for most uses, a reasonably new deck works well.

I use regular bicycle rider backs, that I get in boxes of 12 at (here in the US) Costco for slightly over a buck a deck.

Have not used fanning powder in years. Is it really necessary?
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
As a general rule the only reason to use fanning powder is when using it for stage manipulation purposes. Many times the cards prepared for backpalming will be so stressed that an application of f. powder will aid in them working smoothly, etc.

For close-up purposes it can be fairly problematic especially if you have very damp hands or work in a damp environment. Best,
Brad Burt
bouche
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of bouche
I am wondering if people feel confident enough about powder to use them on their Gerry's Nuggets?

What about the top XC guys like Dan and Dave, Devo etc? Do they use it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning Powder - Proper Application? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL