The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Comedy Rope trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do you think the following rope trick is to strong for kids? http://youtube.com/watch?v=G4aXTCErWMs&feature=related
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3606 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Professor Cheer's Comedy Rope Trick/Routine is never too strong for kids. The performer on the youtube video rushed through it a little, bypassing some of the more humorous possibilities, but I've started almost all my birthday parties with that same effect for almost 10 years. It's retired for a while right now. I took the plain white boxers that originally came with mine..removed them and attached some really bright, silk boxers with bright yellow rubber duckies. A friend has one with Kermit the Frog on them. OR..keep it simple and put a big smiley-face iron on at the seat of the plain white boxers.

This routine has SO MUCH comic potential if you have the ability to mime and act a little.

Steve
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Ditto!

I've done shows using several amazing Wolf props, a Losander Table, and a Marotta fishbowl production; yet one of the strongest reactions was Prof Cheers.

In fact, I did a Family Christmas show at the place I was working at a few years ago....3 years later, I met one of the families, and the youngest boy (who must have been 8 at the time) commented on my being "the man who pulled the underwear out of his pants," which, seems like an odd thing to be remembered for....but think about that kind of impression!

And I do agree with Steve, wholeheartedly; first thing you need to to is change the underwear (pun somewhat intended). The set that came with my first Prof Cheers, was just kind of creepy. They need to be big, bright, and funny (not the small white briefs that came with it).

I recently bought the higher priced Prof Cheers, that comes with a harness; not sure it's worth the extra $, if the original works for you, but it is a nice clean rigging option.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3606 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've never owned or used the deluxe rigged, harness version. I can set up my standard version in a minimum of privacy in less than 3 minutes, tops. If yours is made from the correct type of rope, it won't knot, twist of tangle. It's some type of 3/4" "boat rope" and not standard magician's rope, which WILL get tangled, leaving you "hanging". I think 20 years ago I bought mine for $12 at a magic shop here in the state. THAT was a true investment!

Steve
boppies2
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona
400 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Stan I also bought the higher priced Prof Cheers, that comes with a harness. The quality of the harness is worth the extra money and set up time is minimal.

The routine works great with kids. Large red shorts work the best for me. But I do like the happy face idea on the back, Steve.

Dynamike I would highly recommend that you research the benefits of this prop as an addition to your kids shows.

Besides kids shows, I have started using it for some of my senior shows with great results.

Max
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4541 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I love the routine, but find the practicality of the set-up means I almost never use it any more. But then I have a lot of other stuff to get ready; if you have the time to prep the ropes before your show, this one is a real winner! I believe the original routine was called "Rope Springs Eternal", and Professor Cheers is a later release; but I may be wrong about that?
The Awesome One
View Profile
Regular user
Gold Coast, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of The Awesome One
I hadn't seen this one before, I like it, it would play as big to the parents as to the kids.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
jakeg
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I never could get the reaction from the routine that I should have. I tried it a number of different ways, but it went over no better for me than it did for the kid on the video. After about 6 months, I gave it up.
By the way, I think that I mentioned the neat gimmick that was once in the linking ring that sets up Cheer's in about a minute and is an excellent way to pack it and keep it ready. A board with 2 short dowels sticking up. the rope is wound on it in a figure 8 pattern, a rubber band holds it on for traveling.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
648 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Where is this Prof Cheers with a "harness" available? I'm assuming it makes the setup faster and easier?

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 7:06am
Just googled this. Is the harness the "Pretty in Pink" version?
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
No, Doc, it's billed as the "Professional Professor Cheers."

Here's one link:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-T......3063.htm

You can often find one on Ebay for around $90.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
648 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Stan,

Thanks for the link.

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If it is performed early in the show, the kids might be thinking you know what throught the rest of the show. If it is performed at the end, it might be harder to carry around throughout the whole show. When do you think it is best to perform?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3606 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well, I usually open with it, but it's not necessary to do it like that. After you've set it up and used it a few times, you'll be completely comfortable with carrying it set up.

Steve
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4541 Posts

I used to do a routine with one or two kids using the same color of rope, cut & restored, or something similar. This would be my first routine after intros & warm-ups. Then, after the kids have finished, I let the first piece of rope drop from my sleeve....etc. This gives the impression that it's some of the rope you were just working with....also kids' imagination will tell them that the rope went up your sleeve...and now it's fallen out, it's giving away the secrets....etc,.....
sier5
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of sier5
Dynamike if you are worrying that the kids will think they know how to do the rest of the show just make your own patter that won't make it seem like exposure.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What is the real difference between the regular one (about $20) and the advanced one (about $100).
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
192 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
Potty:

That's exactly what I'd do when performed this routine regularly years ago. I'd open with Professor's Nightmare, Cut & Restored Rope, or something similar, dismiss the kids, and have the first end of the rope come out my sleeve at that time. The kids jumped on it immediately, thinking it was a rope "up my sleeve" that I was trying to hide. Haha! I love leading them down the "rosey garden path!"

TED
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3606 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Dynamike,

The new one with the harness (and it's a lot more than 2 nails on a board) claims that you can have it in the car on the way to a gig and put it on when you get out of the car to head inside, thereby simplifying setup. BUT...we all do go to the bathroom (even in a private home) prior to showtime to check out the ole tie/jacket, right? So, that's when I "rope up". Takes less than 3 minutes once you get used to it, and you don't have to wear that harness for the rest of the show, either. While the harness does look cool and may work perfectly well for some people, I've been using the regular version for over 20 years now without so much as a single knot or problem.

Steve
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I would concur that I'm not sure the "professional" version is worth the extra $, unless you can get a real deal on Ebay. I think I bought mine for $40, so it was well worth it.

Mike, I would suggest that you don't need to worry about kids thinking you're performing "Commando;" after the effect...they simply move on to whatever you're doing next. BUT, if you are concerned, just grab all the rope, and run backstage/offstage for a few seconds, and come back 'adjusting' the top of your pants; could be a very funny segment.

It is a great segue to go from doing a few rope tricks into this effect. Highly recommend it!

And one final bit of advice to anyone just learning this routine....MARK ALL THE ENDS AND SET IT UP CORRECTLY!!!!

I suspect I'm not alone in having this routine turn from "Professor's" to "Magician's NIGHTMARE," when I once rushed to set it up; then in the performance, got to the final leg and it was stuck, because I had set up the wrong ends in the wrong places! Only need to make that mistake once!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I can see the harnest in the background once enlarged: http://www.murphysmagic.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5749/.f
That is kinda high priced for a harness.

I can not seem to find it for a low price on Ebay. I guess I will get the one with the harness.

What are the advantages and disadvantages with the panties?

Thank you guys for your support.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Hey Mike.

They show up on Ebay once in a while at a good price. If you're not in a hurry, just wait for one, or put a 'Wanted To Buy" up in the For Sale/Wanted section of the Café. You never know!

Not sure what you mean by the "advantages...of the panties?"
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4541 Posts

Dynamike....I considered the harness version...but really, the original seems superior to me, because once performed, all the ropes are in your magic trunk, and you have no harness left to wear for the whole of your show. Do you really want to wear a harness throughout your entire show, just to save a couple of minutes' set-up beforehand? Seems like a daft idea to me, just a gimmick that gives the PERFORMER the idea that it's more "professional". The effect to the audience is identical.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-06-25 22:18, Stan Corrected wrote:
Not sure what you mean by the "advantages...of the panties?"

With the pink panties will the audience have more to laugh at, or do you think some people will be thinking the magician took it too far for using panties?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Well, that listing is for a variation, but not the version that I have, which uses men's underwear. Not suggesting you buy it here, but here's a link to the retail on the version I'm referring to:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-T......3063.htm

This could open an entirely different discussion/argument on this thread, but for kid's shows, I would most certainly suggest that you not use panties (if you are a male performer). Might be a good variation if you are doing adult shows and the idea meshes with your character, but I would suggest it's not for children.

In both versions that I own (original and professional), I replaced the underwear with items that were both clearly TOO BIG, and had very funny bright designs. I also find that silk (or it's synthetic variants) work best, as they 'slide' more easily, particularly if you're using something that's 'over-sized.'

One more thing, Potty raises a good point.....might be best for you to pick up the standard version; first to make sure you like performing the routine; and also his point about having to wear the rigging/harness for the rest of your set, is valid. With the original version, when you're done, you're clean (no pun intended)!
kesemd1
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kesemd1
That's look great routine to finish my "Cut & Restored Rope"
why it's pink no better white ?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I saw a couple "profesionals" online for $75.00. The only problem is they come in pink. One magic shop owner told me now the supplier makes it in pink only. It seems like the only way to get the white rope ones is if they are already in stocked inside of a shop. I really want the boxer shorts with the smiley faces pattern: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/professor-......114.html

Check out "Roped by Juan Pablo": http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/roped-tric......333.html Will that be better than "Professional Nightmare" to perform before performing "Professional Professor Cheers"?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4541 Posts

It's no big deal to sew your own underwear on, or have someone do it for you. In fact, once you have the kit, it's no big deal to make another in any colour rope you like. It's the arrangement and approximate lengths of ropes you need to know -the rest is just simple stitchwork.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of amakar
DynaMike -

Let's chat next time I see you at the Monday Roundtable. This is my 2nd effect in my kid's show and it always gets a great reaction. I use the same version that I bought 15 years ago. I like the board and peg idea to wrap and setup faster.

When doing a family show or birthday party, I simply check my coat and suit in the bathroom and do the setup. I've had some problems with the rope knotting up if I don't wind it correctly. Instead of doing a circle pattern, I accordion pleat the rope, rig up the ropes, and put the balance of the rope half way down the back of my pants. My suitcoat covers the other half.

Marking the ropes is INCREDIBLY important. I ran into that same professor's nightmare the first few times I tried it without having the instructions handy.

As for the end, I'd skip anything female...I added my own heart boxer shorts.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22357 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-06-26 13:44, amakar wrote:
DynaMike -

Let's chat next time I see you at the Monday Roundtable.

I thought that was you. Who are you? Nope, just kidding Andy. Ok, I'll see you Monday.
boppies2
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona
400 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Dynomike,

Hocus Pocus has them back in stock and I think they are having a 25% off sale.
I believe that these are a good quality and the harness is comfortable, less than $94.00.
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/

Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Comedy Rope trick (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.364322 seconds, requiring 108 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [8] [1] [5] [1] [5] [5]