The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Piatnik Wheels Poker (lino) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
14009 Posts

Profile of tommy
Any one got these? What sort of finish have they got rough or smooth and what do they mean by “Lino” ?

You can see them here if you click “standard cards” then “poker“.

http://www.piatnik.com/english/playcards/index.html
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Lino would mean "Linoid finish" or "Linen finish", as in Tally-HOs and others, I would think. However I also think that this would be the coating only as no Piatnik card I have seen has had a surface anywhere near as nice to work with as any USPCCo deck. They typically have smooth surfaces lacking the little air pockets that make US cards glide so freely.

Even tho I haven't tried this deck I would recommend that you don't buy a case of them at least. Piatnik is everywhere here in Europe yet all cardmen use the US regular brands (with the exception of Tommy Wonder). Notice that these also have 4 indexes.

Piatnik does however have a printing quality that far surpasses USPCCo in terms of colors and face designs. They have some stunning gift sets and also make wonderful Patience and miniature cards. However they all typically have these unfriendly surfaces. Piatnik make family cards and souvenir sets, not working pros' decks.

Some more Piatniks here more aimed at magicians with matching gaffs. No picture of their backs tho (Club): http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/Pi......rds.html

Well, just my little added skepticism here. Like I said, I haven't actually tried this or any other of their poker decks.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
14009 Posts

Profile of tommy
Linoid ok thanks. This is what Linoid means I guess.

http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28785
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
4220 Posts

Profile of pepka
While not the Wheels deck, I have 2 decks of the Standard Poker cards. A friend picked them up for me in Germany I believe. Every time someone I know goes overseas, I ask them to grab a deck. More often than not, I get cards with local sites on them, kitty cats or whatever and they're normally bridge size. I tell them look for a regular red or blue deck. The Piatnik cards feel beautiful, but I haven't used them for much of anything as I don't have many.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
14009 Posts

Profile of tommy
In England I see many Piatnik cards. They cater to the Bridge set. They do luxury twin decks, golden edges, pretty one way designs, bridge size and they are well made and long lasting and in neat boxes. I can’t ever recall seeing any of their poker cards though. They are an old established company. When I was a kid I had I think their whole collection of bridge sets, we used play Kallooki with then. Any way thanks I will send for a couple decks just for a change.

Tommy
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Let us know how you find them, Tommy. After reading Pepka's info I think that I may have been overly pessimistic. Always exciting to discover new hidden treasures out there.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Found some opinions on the Wheels cards here, mostly negative concerning the surface: http://decknique.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-1366.html

Seems that the cards have been made in both 4 index and 2 index versions and that there are two different box designs. No word on if the 2 index cards have the same lino finish or not.

And no word if any of their other poker decks have the lino surface.
frankw
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of frankw
Piatnik also had a complete set for magic. There are all the special cards up to complete decks like stripper,.... and I think it was develope with Magic Christian from Austria! Most dealers had them in stock, here in europe.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-07-17 07:54, frankw wrote:
Piatnik also had a complete set for magic. There are all the special cards up to complete decks like stripper,.... and I think it was develope with Magic Christian from Austria! Most dealers had them in stock, here in europe.

They are still available on the same site as the poker decks with matching blanks etc (by Magic Christian) in the link above. But most of this magic range is in bridge format. See all of what is available of these older cards from The Card Collection: http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/Piatnik.html
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have 2 decks of Piatnik "EZ Play" Low vision cards in a linen finish.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Play-Playing-C......00ZOLZ1O

They seem to be nicely printed on high quality linen paper, but the coating is much less "slick" than USPCC cards. This may be intentional, as these are intended for people with impaired vision, and possibly they are meant to be easier for elderly and/or disabled people to handle without being slippery.
They don't fan at all, although they could be powdered I suppose.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3006 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
"Lino" refers to the "linoleum" type finish on these cards. Verrry smooth!

I have two of these "Wheel" decks sitting in front of me as I type this.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Stanyon, are you saying that you think the Piatnik Wheels cards are "contenders" as magic cards in your opinion? And do your decks have 2 or four indexes?

I went to a few stores here in Oslo expecting to find either these cards or some of the other Piatnik poker size decks but nobody carries them here. They only have Piatnik 100% plastic cards in poker size and also all the different Magic Christian decks in bridge size.

I've become quite curious about these too now.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3006 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Noob -

The decks I have are single (2) index. I know that sounds weird but it makes sense. The decks I have fan well but faro poorly, the card stock is stiff and thicker than Bikes. I have the "Wheels" but don't use them for performance.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
14009 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Steve.

Tommy
zwong
View Profile
New user
Tasmania / KL
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
I have been using Piatnik Star Club poker cards

http://www.piatnik.com/deutsch/playcards......Club.jpg

While the linoid finish isn't any more superior than Bicycle's air cushion, they certainly aren't the plastic finish. Similar to air cushin, they do have those little air pockets. They work fine for poker games and reasonably well with tricks. However, I'm not sure whether they will work as nicely for XCM. The card stock isn't as thick as Bicycle or Tally Ho. I think they might be similar to Bee decks.
~Zee
Sazalfram
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Sazalfram
Don't the Paitnick cards have bigger radius corners? I have always thought they were a very high quality card. I remember liking playing with them but the corners were different if I remember correctly.
zwong
View Profile
New user
Tasmania / KL
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
I don't think so. I stuck one of them into a Bicycle deck and the corners seems to blend in well. I might be using a different deck from you

Also, stick one of them into a Bee deck and we have something we can use here
~Zee
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
Savage, MN
669 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
I have a few decks. They are very nice looking and are prined on good stock, but I'm afraid I find they don't fan well due their finish.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-11-27 23:13, Sazalfram wrote:
Don't the Paitnick cards have bigger radius corners? I have always thought they were a very high quality card. I remember liking playing with them but the corners were different if I remember correctly.

There are some cards called Atlantis by Carta Mundi that have a somewhat similar looking back as the Wheels cards from Piatnik. They have bigger radius corners. Perhaps you were thinking of those.

Maybe a bit of a long shot as far as theories go but I have a compulsive need to join in when people are discussing playing card types and I don't actually have any Piatnik Wheels so I have nothing relevant to say about them really. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Piatnik Wheels Poker (lino) (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.347190 seconds, requiring 78 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [4] [5] [4] [8] [4] [6] [1]