The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Buy it, but it's still mine. Is this fair? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
Quote:

I'm with you Roth! I am happy to say that a good number of performers HAVE used my products on TV and have sent me footage. Cheers.

Christopher

Of course, this is something to be proud of !
And Ezzet, of course most of us never go on TV. But that doesn't mean we don't need all the info about the product before we buy it.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Hey everyone...

I am very sorry for the furror this has caused...

Concerning Split Reality...

I was advised to with hold TV performance rights on the effect. I am working on a few projects where performance of original material on TV is concerned...

I know I have purchased effects before from top names in the industry where the performer reserves television broadcast rights. Television performance rights are often withheld. Conflicting LIVE performance rights may also be with held. Persoanlly I have purchased a number of effects that held such clauses...

To my knowledge the withheld Television performance rights for Split Reality have not caused issues or caused anyone to be unhappy with the purchase.

If there is an issue I ask that those purchasers please contact me directly -- and I will make sure that a satisfactory agreement is reached for both parties.

I try to be as transparent as possible -- this being my first release, it may have been an error in judgement to not outwardly state that TV performance rights were with held. The advertising copy on OUTLAW effects concerning SR will be changed as soon as possible to include this information.

Once again -- my appologies for any inconnvenience this may have caused...

All the best!

J
xxx
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
Now that's an entirely different attitude than
" I don't see the point of this post, she's defaming fellow performers again". See how someone can change during one summer afternoon ?
:) Smile Smile
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think all this with holding tv rights etc is mental Masturbating.( I don't believe I got away with that word)

But then there are a few knucle dancers in mentalism.

If you don't want it on TV don't sell it period.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I'm with Rosemary on this one...what a strange day, but a great topic!

Nathan
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
I agree. But at least we should be warned in advance, in case we don't want to see that m.......... .
Even though I'm not on TV, I would definitely not buy something if I can't do with it what I want.
But if all the info is provided, each can make up his own mind about that.
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 15:39, Nathan Pain wrote:
I'm with Rosemary on this one...

A new and strange, but nice experience, Nathan Smile
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
Hi Rosemary, maybe one of theses sellers would be so kind as to act as your own personal ''tv consultant'' as a way of reaching a possible agreement? haha, if not, get your money back, cuz that's sure sneaky on their part... Smile
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 15:36, mindpunisher wrote:
I think all this with holding tv rights etc is mental Masturbating.( I don't believe I got away with that word)

But then there are a few knucle dancers in mentalism.

If you don't want it on TV don't sell it period.

That should be the end of the topic. (period) !
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I saw this ' cannot perform on tv ' once printed within the instructions for healed and sealed soda can.

Not impressed.

If I buy it, its mine.

But I would send a copy to the creator to see what they thunk.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heck, speaking of morals etc. I posted an idea for Whitestar and Luna and someone PM'd me saying what a wonderful concept and told me he wouldn't use it since it was "mine" - I pointed out 'Hey, if I posted it on the MC, its cuz I am sharing my ideas like others here and go ahead and use it with my blessings - as its all about proper crediting and so on" but I was really honoured someone actually asked me.... I often get that but I think in theory (besides steve actually owning everything posted on MC Smile) anything here posted publically is shareware worthy - but I still also check in with creators before using novel concepts...

Maybe this has nothing to do with anything but felt related!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=182&116

The above link should read by all...every post. It is a facinating discussiion on this issue in the Ventriloquist threads. It contains pros and cons and a 'switch' in policy by a major supplier due to the thread. Lots to learn in this thread...if you care about this issue take the time to read it all. It deals with performance rights from all aspects.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 16:57, Dr Spektor wrote:
Heck, speaking of morals etc. I posted an idea for Whitestar and Luna and someone PM'd me saying what a wonderful concept and told me he wouldn't use it since it was "mine" - I pointed out 'Hey, if I posted it on the MC, its cuz I am sharing my ideas like others here and go ahead and use it with my blessings - as its all about proper crediting and so on" but I was really honoured someone actually asked me.... I often get that but I think in theory (besides steve actually owning everything posted on MC Smile) anything here posted publically is shareware worthy - but I still also check in with creators before using novel concepts...

Maybe this has nothing to do with anything but felt related!

Dr.S - is it ok if I use your post later on, but just adapt it to sound a bit more like me please?
I've asked to be banned
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Rosemary,

True, I take no issue with you. Further, ANYONE who PURCHASES my material is free to use it in whatever medium they wish - if you did not buy it however, I promise to come knocking with plenty of papers Smile Smile Smile

What's more, if another performer wishes to use my material on television I will do my best to consult with that person, free of charge, to insure they give the best performance possible.

In the case wherein television rights are withheld, I really have nothing to say. One of the (many) reasons the Cavalli/Finley book was halted is due to my needing unique and interesting material for use on television. It seems obvious that if we DON'T want our material performed by others via such mediums, it's best to not release it.

My two cents,
Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 13:31, Rosemary wrote:
Finally a nice reaction from somebody.
Since the "TT2" affair, most people treat me like I'm the evil witch of the North. TT2 is not one of them, I must add !

Hey, the witch of the North was one of the GOOD witches! (She wasn't Glenda, by the way. She was Locasta or Tattypoo, depending on whether you asked Baum or Thompson.)

*jeep!
--Oz-Friendly Grandpa Chet
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 14:39, Roth wrote:
no animals were harmed in the production.
catered by One Ahead caterers of Pasadena, Ca.

What? Vegetarian caterers? Ecch!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Go ahead and harm some animals for my roast beef sandwich.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 16:42, Silvertongue wrote:
I saw this ' cannot perform on tv ' once printed within the instructions for healed and sealed soda can.

Not impressed.

If I buy it, its mine.

But I would send a copy to the creator to see what they thunk.

well spoken.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Jerome's post seems like the most reasonable and pragmatic approach.

In the end, based on numerous patent filings and dealings with the US Patent and Trademark Office, I highly doubt the author of any published work could actually win any legal proceeding. They could, of course, file and perhaps even make it to court, but to win would be remarkable.

There are lots of reasons for this, and that is just me who writes patent applications, I am sure a lawyer could offer even more information.

In the end, though, this is what it gets reduced to:

Can the author of the material prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that the person who performed it on television did not discover it themselves? Further than that, if they CAN prove that, do they have a patent on the method or some other aspect of the procedure? Finally, peers would have to testify that not only could it not have been "independently invented" but that no other, non-patented source could have been used as a starting point.

In other words, I scoff at those warnings as the empty threats they are. Truth be told, I usually find they lower my opinion of who puts it out (not always mind you but often). That is not to say they can't make your life difficult, but the legal ramifications are more bite than bark.

In the end, they need to take Jerome's approach:
"if we DON'T want our material performed by others via such mediums, it's best to not release it"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Would it be possible to put a time limit on it. Something like "Please give me (The inventor) 6 months to pursue a TV deal prior to performing this effect in that medium." ?????
Otherwise it would seem to be "Double Dipping" ... Having your cake and eating it too!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Psychic San

There are many reasons for releasing something, not all have to do with wanting it released, in fact, some have to do with preventing it from being released by others.

There have been many cases of small private releases of material, and stipulations were made and agreed to as part of the release.

The key point to this thread (in my view anyway) is that stipulations and limitations need to be agreed to before purchase.

Tony
R Gould
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of R Gould
The funny thing is, there is no such thing as "television performance rights" for a magic trick or mentalism effect.

If I know how to perform an effect, I can do so on television. So long as I am not using the originator's (or anyone else's) spoken patter, there is *no* legal recourse they can take.

A magic trick cannot be copyrighted.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 20:18, R Gould wrote:

A magic trick cannot be copyrighted.

Ask Armando Lucero what he does.

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Buy it, but it's still mine. Is this fair? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL