The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Magical Words (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 18:52, panlives wrote:
Carl Sagan once said that every day, every moment, somewhere in this infinite universe, something incredible is waiting to be found…

I saw a live Cups & Balls performance - final load was a spectacular glittering gem-like ball...the reveal was timed to coincide with the word "found" - it made people gasp.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Mandini
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mandini
On Jan 6, 2010 2:52pm, Lawrence O. wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instead of "Benedictio Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti descendat super vos" [May the bless of the father and the son and the holy spirit come down on you" he was grumbling "Quando quidem populus iste vult decipi; decipiatur ergo"... [Since his people wanted to be deceived, thus they got deceived..." This is particularly cynical for only the educated people could speak Latin at the time, but far less people were educated. So it was sounding like a generous and holly blessing when it was actually a nasty rationalization.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, the first quote is the last part of the Apostolic blessing bestowed by the pope of the day, as part of the Urbi et Orbi papal blessing, on the faithful in St. Peter's Square on special occasions, such as Christmas and Easter, and it is not quite correct, as shown. The exact message, with a translation is as follows:

Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis, Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti descendat super vos et maneat semper (And may the blessing of Almighty God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, descend on you and remain with you always).

As to the latter quote, if that is true that some pope declared this, it might be interesting to know which pope, what occasion and when, if anyone knows. Since this is a magic site, not a Catholic one, it would certainly be understandable if no one does.

The latter quote might well be cannibalized to yield interesting magic words. However, the first one (Urbi et Orbi blessing) might be a little dicey for some Catholics who might consider it sacrilegious and possibly object to its use, even partially, as a magic word or incantation. Hopefully, however, no one would feel the need to rush the resident diocesan exorcist du jour (if any) to the scene...

Incidentally, you might want to check out the plethora of possible exotic-sounding magic words in “The Satanic Bible”, written by its then-leader, the late Anton Szandor LaVey, first published, I think, in the late 1960s, which contains a number of declarations and affirmations in what is said to be the Enochian language, whether real or imagined. I remember one opening line, for example which was, “Olsonuf voresaji, gohu iad balata” – that kind of thing – which could be used for our purposes – but in small doses, I would suggest, and not too frequently, so as not to agitate the overly superstitious types and frighten the horses...
Magic_Man101
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Magic_Man101
I used bibbity bobbity boo once I got a few laughs
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
314 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
An old magician friend pulled this one on me many years ago when I was a newby. It's probably an oldie but I fell for it. He was showing me a trick and asked me to chant a magical phrase. He said "Repeat after me Ohwah-Tagoo-Siam....Now say it faster..Ohwah-tagoo-siam...say it faster, Oh What A Goose I Am."
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
"propinquus occulto pro offensio"

(close cover before striking).
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Lynchini
View Profile
New user
Central Illinois
100 Posts

Profile of Lynchini
Generally I have a volunteer or someone in the audience give me a 'magic word' to use. The funniest one I ever heard was from a 5 year old girl. She screamed at the top of her lungs - "YABBA-DABBA-POO-POOOOooooooooo!"
Regards, Lynchini
Woland
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of Woland
I've always liked "Klaatu Barada Nikto!"
ancientmagic
View Profile
New user
Tucson AZ
86 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
"In secretum...es transfero!"

Loosely means in Latin, "transfer (ie move from one place to another) in secret."

Best

John
"In victory you deserve champagne…in defeat you need it!" –Napoleon Bonaparte
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis, IN
169 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Mecka Lecka High, Mecka Hiney Ho.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis, IN
169 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I forget the name of this magician, he was very funny. Famous in the 60s or 70s. He was a giant I think and wore a tiny hat like the little monkey from Aladdin. "Spoo jah jah, spoo jah jah spoo!"
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis, IN
169 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
The name of the magician was Tommy Cooper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Magical Words (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.074253 seconds, requiring 36 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [9] [0] [7] [6] [8] [4] [3]