The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New book - Magic from the Overground by Paul Hallas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Any news about the specific content of this upcoming book on August 6 2008 ?

Magic from the Overground
Author(s): Hallas, Paul
Media: Books from H & R Magic Books

Link : http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......id=14261

Format: Hardbound with Dust Jacket
Publication Summary: 2008

Paul Hallas, the best-selling author of Small But Deadly and the Mindful Mentalism series is back with his best book yet. His new book is a compilation of his favorite effects from the past 25 years. Some have appeared in print in limited edition booklets and magazines (some obscure), some are previously unpublished and others were released as marketed effects. Of those that have appeared before, some have evolved over the years and additional thoughts are included. You'll find a combination both close-up and mentalism routines, with over 50 routines in all. The close-up magic focuses primarily on cards with a few coin tricks thrown in. Includes an enlightening essay on strolling magic along with a comprehensive list of the best effects to use for strolling magic.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Specific content? Only the publishers or myself could give you that seeing as the book isn't released until August 6th. I don't even have a finished copy myself yet.Mostly close up, some mentalism, a little stand up (one childrens routine). For those that have my DVD's there is some crossover of material, but there is far more in the book. The DVD market is usually a different market these days anyway.

Titles of effects are as follows:
Twist In A Glass p.
A Prediction In Millions p.
The Hunger Revisited p.
Burnt Offering p.
The Fire Ritual p.
The Distance Burning p.
Psychic Collectors p.
Back To Partagus p.
Waterloo p.
Spectator Cut p.
Extra Stop p.
The Blind Stop Trick p.
The Ultimate Think Stop p.
Forty Three p.
City Frame Up p.
Impromptu ESP p.
Future Keys p.
Battle Of The Sexes p.
Jack’s Back p.
Al Smith’s Kings and Witches p.
Favorite Cards p.
Kiss and Tell p.
The Cheating Gambler p.
Card Worker’s Introduction p.
Psychic Poker Too p.
Quantum p.
His Favorite Trick p.
Duplicated p.
Backlash p.
Unlucky Card p.
Password Protected p.
The Soul Sucker Card p.
The Backwards Card Rise p.
Name Power p.
A Mental Miracle p.
The V.C. Card p.
Semi Conscious Poker p.
A Cut Above p.
Back Together p.
A Handy Trick p.
Total Recall p.
Numbered Thoughts p.
In The Picture p.
The Coin Trick p.
K.I.S. Coin Routine p.
Credit Coincealment p.
Piece By Piece Transposition
The Hallas/Wagner/Gardner Lie Detector p.
Color Snap Aces p.
The Dead Zone p.
D.I.Y. Sandwich p.
A Key Routine p.
Being Sinful p.
Rob Ward’s Two Gun Pete p.
Duck! P.
Off The Cuff p.
The Killer Clone Routine p.
On Strolling Magic and Table Hopping p.

I'm not going to start answering questions about what specific effects are. If you've seen me perform, lecture or read any of my previous stuff you'll have an idea as to whether you want this book or not. If you've not seen anything of mine, this might be the best place to start.

When the ad copy quoted above was being put together the publishers tried to contact me for input but unfortunately I was away so the ad copy used contained no words of my own. Having said that, it's a pretty accurate description. If I had to change anything it might be one word in the last line that suggests my list comprises of the 'best' effects for strolling. Best choices are always personal, and I do not claim to know ALL the 'best' effects for these conditions, but I do give practical effect suggestions for these conditions and differentiate between restaurant/banquet/and reception strolling magic. There are differences. I'm sure performers will find this small chapter valuable, and part of this alone was the basis of my Funarama convention lecture in 2007.

I'm quite proud of this collection and I'm sure people will find it FULL of workable, audience tested material. But, wait and see the reviews. Pointless people speculating and commenting on something which is not yet available. But I'm really looking forward to mine.

Paul.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Thanks Mr Hallas for this great answer from the best source available !!!

I am on line for your book.

I got your last dvds and your stuff is made for the real world.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This is exciting news . Paul Hallas is a gifted performer and author.

I have his ACROSS THE VOID which is a must have for folks that are fans of the Cards Across plot. His Clever Card magic DVD's show what a gifted performer he is.

Paul is the real deal!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-07-31 21:57, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Paul is the real deal!

He is! ACROSS THE VOID is one of the best plot on this genre!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Paul is one of the greatest thinkers in magic currently. However his understated manner and the fact he performs mainly for laymen means a lot of magi will either not have heard of him or pass over his stuff for someone more well known. His packet trick book is my third favourite magic book.

Well done Paul.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I have seen Paul lecture twice when he lived in the UK and have some of his early booklets and lecture notes.I recognise some of the effects listed but will still be buying this new book.I totally agree with Andi Paul is one of the great thinkers in magic.This book will be top notch.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Good luck with this Paul.
Seems like it is chock full of real world material

John
thejohn171
View Profile
New user
Elsewhere
34 Posts

Profile of thejohn171
Saying I am excited for this book would be an understatement. I have had my book ordered ever since that option became available. I have read and worked a lot of his stuff. All of it is usable with zero filler. Ever routine could be used. Not only that, but hes a really cool Guy.
John
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Actually, I missed a coin trick from the content list. There are 57 effects listed in the contents, however, you'll probably discover a few more effects within the text, for example, under the heading "Being Sinful" a second related effect is also described. I guess this is like Easter Eggs on DVD's lol.

My copy arrived today so I had fun looking through it, and wishing every other magic book I'd bought had been as meaty. I'm sure those that liked Small But Deadly will enjoy this, plenty of references in this to get you exploring elsewhere, too.

In fairness I should point out this book is not intended for the beginner, one is expected to have average knowledge of card stuff. If you've been in magic less than a couple of years there are probably more suitable books out there for you. In one instance also I realized in hindsight I should have described the Master move (Ovette Master Move/Kelly Replacement)and I haven't. But I also should point out this is not knuckle busting stuff.

I expect the reviews will be in the September magazines for those that rely on them, and as for here, I think if the books are starting to arrive for those that ordered them already from H & R, it will take a while to digest the contests, play around with stuff and evaluate it, so it could be a week or so before comments appear here.

I'm glad the book is finally out, and hopefully when you have it on your shelves you will be too Smile

Paul.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Will this book be available worldwide via Murphys Magic Supplies ?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 16:08, RIVARDJLR wrote:

???

That's a curious question. It's available worldwide through H & R Books,in Humble Texas, the publisher. They will wholesale to dealers. Murphy's ONLY supply to dealers anyway. Another magic wholesaler that currently stocks it is D. Robbins. Not seen Murphy's advertising it yet but it may simply be that they have not updated their web site yet, I don't know.

I have limited copies myself, if anyone wants one from me send me a pm for details.

Paul.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
The reason I asked if it was available via Murphys is because shipping rates are pretty high for books to Canada .If it is available from my magic shop(via Murphys) I could get FREE shipping. This is purely an economical thing..

Quote:
On 2008-08-08 16:48, Paul wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 16:08, RIVARDJLR wrote:

???

That's a curious question. It's available worldwide through H & R Books,in Humble Texas, the publisher. They will wholesale to dealers. Murphy's ONLY supply to dealers anyway. Another magic wholesaler that currently stocks it is D. Robbins. Not seen Murphy's advertising it yet but it may simply be that they have not updated their web site yet, I don't know.

I have limited copies myself, if anyone wants one from me send me a pm for details.

Paul.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Your local dealer could obtain copies from H & R Magic books. As it happens its a moot point, because on looking just now I see Murphy's are now advertising the book.

Paul.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
OK I confirm that the book is now available in the world via Murphys.

You ask to your magic shop and they can get it from Murphys.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I just noticed some information a little outdated in the book, in "The Soul Sucker Card" effect. I mention that if rather than make the card you want to buy a suitable one, you can get a Grim Reaper Card from The Card Collection. I've noticed Clive has now added a few variations on the Reaper theme to his card availability, so the one you would actually want is no.110 Reaper Card. Scroll down at the following link and you'll find it:
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh0......70#a2070

I also mention the possibility of using my Ghoul card from my "Monster Mash" packet effect, but that is only relevant if you have the original version. The new version coming out shortly doesn't have a ghoul card, I swapped it for a 'mummy' and the back design will no longer be Bicycle.

Paul.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quick offer, can't see it lasting long so hidden it away here. The next TWELVE people to buy "Magic From The Overground" from me, will get a free copy of my "Thirteen" lecture notes. I have twelve copies of those left. They will not be reproduced. First come, first served Smile

Paul.
thejohn171
View Profile
New user
Elsewhere
34 Posts

Profile of thejohn171
Alright Paul, you caught my interest what is in the thirteen lecture notes? Cards, Mentalism, Secret of Life?
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
415 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Put me down for a copy of Magic From the Overgrown - I am just off out now, but will be I touch tmw (or later tonight maybe)
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
This is coming a week later than I had planned, but I have actually been caught up in this great book by my good friend Paul Hallas.

It is often said that if you get one good trick out of a book, it is worth the prce you paid. That comment is really so true for the close up worker who earns his or her living performing. Many of us would gladly pay top dollar for a single good effect that we can use day in and day out.

But what do you say to a hardbound book of 227 pages with over 50 of these type strong solid effects that would fit into any working performers set? Well the only two words that I can think of are....BUY IT!

I have had the pleasure of watching Paul perform many of these effects over the years, starting with his first visit to the States. Paul has sat in my living room many times and at my convention many times performing many of these effects and leaving people scratching their heads in dis-belief.

My favorites in the book include: Twist in a Glass, The Ultimate Think Stop, Future Keys, Battle of the Sexes, The Soul Sucker Card, The V.C. Card, In the Picture, Credit Coincealment, The Killer Clone Routine, & Duck (Paul's excellent handling and routining of the Card Duck, after reading this, you will either dust off your card duck that has been sitting on the shelf or you will go out and buy one)

Those are just my favorites. Battle of the Sexes was a marketed effect that sold for more than the price of the book on its own.

In addition to all this solid working material, you get a 15 page section on Strolling Magic and Table Hopping that is priceless. This section was actually part of a lecture that Paul did for our Funarama last year and it is still getting great comments from everyone who was there to see and hear it live.

This is a collection of Paul's material from the past 25 years as a fulltime close up worker. A collection such as this, with great material that you will use, is priceless.

If you have already enjoyed his TOTAT series, Small but Deadly, and his many other wonderful books over the years, you will no doubt grab a copy of this book. And if by chance you are not already familiar with Paul's works, trust me, this is not just a hit, but a grand slam right out of the ballpark.

I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting solid workable magic that you will definately use.

All the Best
Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New book - Magic from the Overground by Paul Hallas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL